Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
No, it's offically designated as a hispanic serving institution.
I understand this. We have Hispanic Serving Institutions and Historically Black Colleges and Universities. It is basically a distinction that makes the school eligible for more money. We also have historically white serving institutions (UT-Austin, Harvard, etc) . I'm only stating that by trying to distinguish themselves as such they are being unfair to other students, and IMO it gives off a racist vibe. It is almost like the government trying to re-institute segregation. Why don't we encourage students to attend school where they'd like as opposed to where "similar" students attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
There was a story yesterday on MYSA.com that said UTSA officials have submitted a proposal for approval to the UT System. If approved a head coach will be hired by February and recruiting would taken place in 09-10. First game will be played in 2011. They are anticipating approval.
I know. I was being trite

Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,102 times
I agree that diversity is the way to go but living here and seeing how hard it is for hispanics to get by anywhere you go, it's good news. Also, what gets me is that if you listen to some radio stations that talk about getting your kid to learn to read but it's mostly about black kids. Hispanic kids also are in the same boat but you don't hear it. (1250 radio promos that promote black parents to read to their kids)

Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 AM

361 posts, read 924,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I agree that diversity is the way to go but living here and seeing how hard it is for hispanics to get by anywhere you go, it's good news. Also, what gets me is that if you listen to some radio stations that talk about getting your kid to learn to read but it's mostly about black kids. Hispanic kids also are in the same boat but you don't hear it. (1250 radio promos that promote black parents to read to their kids)
It's hard for hispanics? What a crock! They NEVER faced the kind of crap blacks faced, or even Asians. This city in particular gives everything to hispanics. How hard of a time do you have when the dean of the university is hispanic and apparently had no problem getting to the top?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

I am speaking from personal experience. Are you black? I am only asking because I want to know your perspective.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
It's hard for hispanics? What a crock! They NEVER faced the kind of crap blacks faced, or even Asians. This city in particular gives everything to hispanics. How hard of a time do you have when the dean of the university is hispanic and apparently had no problem getting to the top?
I have to agree. Hispanics are not enslaved and looking for civil rights. We have had numerous Hispanic leaders. Some of the wealthiest people in this town are Hispanic. Why does everyone feel the need to only pour sympathy towards Hispanics and only embrace that particular culture within the city? San Antonio is one of the most diverse cities in the world, but most people only ever hear about Hispanic San Antonio. In a sense by doing so we are stepping back in time and pushing forward a racial barrier that IMO causes a racist attitude toward Hispanics from other ethnic groups. Why don't we start celebrating everyone and stop focusing on any particular ethnicity?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM

All I am going to say (because I don't want to get into a flame war back and forth) is that this was something that was posted for a positive response. Yes anyone can have their opinion on anything, that's what is great about this forum. I am as baised as the next guy and it's because I grew up on Castroville Rd. and 34th. My parents did a great job raising all of us but boy you can see how the cards are against you. Even now my wife who teaches at a school in the EISD comes home some times and we have discussions on how bad the kids have it compared to other districts. She tries to get help from her boss and of course the district but it's like pulling teeth. Sure, not all people in that area are hispanic but the majority are.

BTW, I agree that hispanics aren't enslaved and you know what? Neither are blacks anymore. The one thing that bothers me is "nowadays" when I am in other cities, I get looked at and treated (at times) as if I am an Illegal Alien because of course, all hispanics are illegal in alot of peoples eyes. (San Antonio not included)

Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM

251 posts, read 710,083 times
Quote:
The one thing that bothers me is "nowadays" when I am in other cities, I get looked at and treated (at times) as if I am an Illegal Alien because of course, all hispanics are illegal in alot of peoples eyes. (San Antonio not included)
I know that feeling and I'm not even Mexican.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,261 times
all hispanics are illegal in alot of peoples eyes.

I agree 100%, theirs alot of closet rascist out there!!! San Antionio, El Paso, Phoenix, ALBQ, embrace the hispanic culture,what is wrong with that? Everybody likes our food, our drinks, our culture, our music, only thing they dont like is US!!! Cmon people like it or not, in about 10 yrs hispanics,beaners. whatever you want to call us, are going to be the majority in the us, so you might as well move over and let us in. America is made up of immigrants, why do you only have a problem with us!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
all hispanics are illegal in alot of peoples eyes.

I agree 100%, theirs alot of closet rascist out there!!! San Antionio, El Paso, Phoenix, ALBQ, embrace the hispanic culture,what is wrong with that? Everybody likes our food, our drinks, our culture, our music, only thing they dont like is US!!! Cmon people like it or not, in about 10 yrs hispanics,beaners. whatever you want to call us, are going to be the majority in the us, so you might as well move over and let us in. America is made up of immigrants, why do you only have a problem with us!
The foods is great, though not in SA (I've only found a handful of good Mexican food establishments in SA). I actually have found better Mexaican food in Houston. I could do without the drinks and music though. IMO Spanish isn't a very attractive language and only creates barriers that help breed racism. I'm glad that SA has Mexican culture, but does it really need to be represented heavily across 99% of the city? The Mexican culture in SA is way too dominating, and most other cultures are left in the dust. SA has more Mexican culture that some cities in Mexico. I'm calling for equality, not supremacy.

BTW El Paso isn't really a city to look up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio