U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,306,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerian View Post
The family and I just spent the last weekend camping out at Hill Country State Natural Area in Bandera. Trust me, if you ever want to get away from everything, that is the place to go.
I didn't know they had camping there. Is it primitive camping?
You are talking about the area out Dixie Dude road, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM

121 posts, read 440,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I didn't know they had camping there. Is it primitive camping?
You are talking about the area out Dixie Dude road, correct?
Yes. They do have a limited number of car camping sites (about 12). They have quite a few hike in sites as well. There is no water connections like at most state parks, so you have to bring in your own water. But every site has a table and fire ring and about at least 100 feet between you and the nearest campsite.

Took the whole family camping for 2 nights, only cost me $35.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,306,702 times
Hey, that's not a bad deal.

I went to Garner State Park last weekend and it cost me $61 for two nights.
Of course, I did have the comforts of my 32' travel trailer.

We have a campsite set up on our place. It is so much fun to camp there. Our friends think we are nuts (and we are ) for camping 1/4 mile from our house, out in the pasture. It is just so fun to just get away from the house/yard work and especially the LAUNDRY!!!
It's funny, they think we're nuts but they all come and hang out with us when we are there. LOL~~

BTW, those are some beautiful pics of the river. Looks like you had a great time.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,861,526 times
That last pic is of a place I know very well. If I'm correct that is just upstream from the 281 bridge. Just down stream is a very cool spot. I like to go there on a Saturday and just sit in the rapids and relax. That part of the river is very laid back. You won't look up to see some cop hiding in the bushes looking at you with binoculars. The property belongs to the Guadalupe Canoe Livery. We have been camping there for over 30 yrs. My wife has been going there with her family since she was a little girl. She says at that time there was just a man sitting under a tree on the road you came in on collecting 50 cents or a dollar a carload. The camping there is very primitive. No showers. No real rest rooms and you can't really get very close to the river with camper trailers. That part of the river was just designated the "Texas River Trail" or something by the TP&W. So you will probably see a lot more canoe traffic now. Time will tell if that's a good or bad thing. As a matter of fact I was thinking of making a trip up there over the weekend but yesterday morning my truck committed suicide in the driveway so I will probably have to spend the weekend shopping for a new truck.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM

394 posts, read 1,375,288 times
Nice pics - thanks for sharing! Sometimes it's great to just get away!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM

5,634 posts, read 13,939,377 times
Yeap, that's the bridge at 281 right before Spring Branch. Just further down that area, I saw a huge Rattlesnake swimming in the water...I didn't realize it until I unknowingly got closer to it.

Btw I recommend starting at EDGE FALLS RD and ending at the Canoe livery/281 area.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,191 times
Thumbs up Great Pictures

Well I would have to say that our country as a whole has many great sites that many Americans haven't or ever will see. I am in the Marine Corps and have been to many countries and seen many beautiful places. I have been to Venice, Italy, Lisbon, Portuga, Singapore, and Australia to name a few. No matter where I go I always compare it to America and Texas in general. We have a beautiful country and a great state with landscapes that we should always cherish. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Have you ever been to the Dudley-Johnson park in the San Marcos area? Well that is what is was called when my father used to take me there as a kid. It is very similiar and beautiful.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM

51 posts, read 154,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hi,
Was on the Guadalupe River north of San Antonio, near Spring Branch. It was an unexpected trip, just wanted to get away for a day. It's nothing compared to Yellowstone or British Columbia, but thought I'd share some pics in case some of you have never been out there. Lots of interesting little areas to explore. Did not see a soul out there except for two guys in a canoe near the waterfall. Had to walk across the rivers in some areas (you'll see my kayak on land in one pic) because the water was too low. Dropped my camera when I went overboard at one of the rapids. Didn't realize i lost the camera until I found it floating in water a few miles down river.

Spent a total of $25 for all day kayak rental + parking + transportation back to car + life vest. Beautiful country.

Awesome pics! Where did you rent the Kayak from? Sounds like a hell of a deal! How do you think the fishing would be from a kayak on that stretch?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM

172 posts, read 417,378 times
Sounds fun. How difficult is it for someone that has never kayak to do that?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM

897 posts, read 2,613,637 times
Gorgeous photos! Just like a post card! You might think of enlarging a couple of them and framing them. The one taken from the kayak showing the motion of the river is awesome! Thanks for sharing them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio