U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Reputation: 2534

Advertisements

I'm closing on a house over there on Friday and need to get utilities set up. What I absolutely have to do are
- electricity (this is combined w/ trash pickup?) - CPS
- water - SAWS
- gas - Who?
I think I have water and electricity / trash pickup figured out. Who does gas?

And the optional stuff...
Over here I have Comcast for cable and internet. Basic cable is enough for me since I don't watch a lot of TV and just want it to come in clear. What are the options? I don't know who the companies are.
What are the options for internet? Verizon FiOS isn't available so is it pretty much cable or DSL? I didn't plan on getting a land line because I use my mobile for everything, so is Cable pretty much it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 11 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,133,706 times
Reputation: 6656
SAWS is also trash pickup.
CPS is electric and gas.

Time Warner Cable is awful! I am speaking from a customer service angle--we are fit to be tied with them. I much prefer grandecom.com, but they're not available in my neighborhood.

AT&T U-verse, DirecTV, and DishNetwork are 3 more options that I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,813 posts, read 33,115,376 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
What are the options for internet? Verizon FiOS isn't available so is it pretty much cable or DSL? I didn't plan on getting a land line because I use my mobile for everything, so is Cable pretty much it?
You can get dry-loop DSL (Internet-only) from AT&T. If you don't have many TVs in the house, you may find AT&T's U-Verse service meets your needs for cable. U-Verse can be bundled with AT&T's highest-speed DSL.

Although I think they're fine for cable, Time-Warner's Internet was too undependable for me. That's why I'm the board's resident advocate of AT&T for broadband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Reputation: 2534
Ok, I'll have to take a look at their sites during lunchtime. I thought dish options were expensive though (>$50/month)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You can get dry-loop DSL (Internet-only) from AT&T. If you don't have many TVs in the house, you may find AT&T's U-Verse service meets your needs for cable. U-Verse can be bundled with AT&T's highest-speed DSL.

Although I think they're fine for cable, Time-Warner's Internet was too undependable for me. That's why I'm the board's resident advocate of AT&T for broadband.
Why does the number of TVs matter? There'll be at least a couple...

I noticed a number of splitters in the attic at the house. No idea who installed them but they don't look old. I never was sure if those would screw up a cable modem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 11 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,133,706 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Ok, I'll have to take a look at their sites during lunchtime. I thought dish options were expensive though (>$50/month)?
Hahaha, you think that's expensive, don't even bother with Time Warner. They're sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Canyon Lake & northern VA
285 posts, read 608,945 times
Reputation: 99
My husband purchased a great TV top antenna from Ace Hardware for about $50 that gives us incredible reception and around 10 channels (including all the networks and Fox) for our Canyon Lake home. Before he did that, all we received was snow so we just watched DVDs. There is no need for cable now as far as I'm concerned. I can get more info tonight if you want.

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,813 posts, read 33,115,376 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Why does the number of TVs matter? There'll be at least a couple...
AT&T U-Verse service requires a box connected to each TV. Each box you rent increases the monthly cost a bit more. Plus there's a limitation, due to bandwidth, of how many sets can watch HD at one time. That's why there's a distinct disadvantage to having more TVs connected. OTOH, U-Verse is being heavily marketed right now. I don't think there's a week that goes by that I don't get a phone call or a piece of mail promoting the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,786,815 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
My husband purchased a great TV top antenna from Ace Hardware for about $50 that gives us incredible reception and around 10 channels (including all the networks and Fox) for our Canyon Lake home. Before he did that, all we received was snow so we just watched DVDs. There is no need for cable now as far as I'm concerned. I can get more info tonight if you want.

Lori
I may try and pick up HD over the air, but will probably get some kind of package so I can get Discovery and some other stuff.

So far U-verse looks to be 60-ish with a couple of TVs factored in along with the HD fee. But that's assuming I wouldn't need any drops. How does it connect? Cable jack, hard-wired phone line? No telling if roomates would bring their own TVs so that'd be 5 more/month if they do but that's kind of trivial. Also, does U-Verse require or assume you have a land line?

Last edited by scuba steve; 05-21-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,813 posts, read 33,115,376 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I may try and pick up HD over the air, but will probably get some kind of package so I can get Discovery and some other stuff.

So far U-verse looks to be 60-ish with a couple of TVs factored in along with the HD fee. But that's assuming I wouldn't need any drops. How does it connect? Cable jack, hard-wired phone line? No telling if roomates would bring their own TVs so that'd be 5 more/month if they do but that's kind of trivial. Also, does U-Verse require or assume you have a land line?
The per-set fee is a deal-killer for my 5-set household, so I don't have U-Verse. Hopefully another C-Der who does can supply those details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top