Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking my 5 year plan for around $700 was a pretty good deal then.. and to everyone that says don't get one, it's saved me over $6000 so far. My house came with this craptastic unit made by a garbage company called Goodman. So far the inside coil has been replaced FOUR times, the outside coil once, and the fan also needed replacement. We had to pay over $800 for the first inside coil and that's when we got the extended warranty. They also reduced the price for getting the warranty. The plan was such a good deal that Airtron offered to buy it back from me for $1500 last year ($1500 credit for a new unit). I passed because I couldn't afford the $15K or so it was going to cost for a new super nice and very efficient system.
so yeah, I would highly recommend one unless you have a very good system already (American Standard, Trane, and a few other brands) or if you keep your house at sauna levels in the summer. We hate the heat and our A/C runs hard in the summer, which causes more than normal wear and tear. I always clean my filters and the unit, so it's not a lack of maintenance. This particular manufacturer just sucks that bad. The people that have been out to fix them said they're always breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
About the same as mine Jason... decisions, decisions. I have Airtron digging up the invoice for my 1st request to see what was done insofar regarding the discharge/recharge of my line as I think I'm more apt to be inquisitive than I was when it was 1st done (so many things were going on at the time). My 2nd request was actually a blower wheel that went out, not the motor. I was perplexed as to how the unit could be so rusty, which warped it out of alignment, in such a short period of time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm thinking my 5 year plan for around $700 was a pretty good deal then.. and to everyone that says don't get one, it's saved me over $6000 so far. My house came with this craptastic unit made by a garbage company called Goodman. So far the inside coil has been replaced FOUR times, the outside coil once, and the fan also needed replacement. We had to pay over $800 for the first inside coil and that's when we got the extended warranty. They also reduced the price for getting the warranty. The plan was such a good deal that Airtron offered to buy it back from me for $1500 last year ($1500 credit for a new unit). I passed because I couldn't afford the $15K or so it was going to cost for a new super nice and very efficient system.
so yeah, I would highly recommend one unless you have a very good system already (American Standard, Trane, and a few other brands) or if you keep your house at sauna levels in the summer. We hate the heat and our A/C runs hard in the summer, which causes more than normal wear and tear. I always clean my filters and the unit, so it's not a lack of maintenance. This particular manufacturer just sucks that bad. The people that have been out to fix them said they're always breaking.

Wow, that's a very good 5 year warranty deal! Did the they take off the amount that it cost to fix the 1st coil? If so, that would make sense. But yeah, I have a Goodman too, so I'm kind of leery. On one hand I've seen reviews with excellent results... but others are horror stories so definitely a mixed bag. Anyway, I'm with you in that the service plan for my unit seems to be the most cost effective vs no plan at all. But I'm interested how much other companies are quoting. Seems like Airtron is as ubiquitous as H.E.B. here! Do you know what model number your unit is or do you have a pic? I shared my info in the Centex thread but decided to start a thread as I didn't want to threadjack any further... My unit is a Goodman model GSH130481AC.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 05-22-2008 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Yes RD, I have to agree with you on Goodman. Never, never buy this brand. Goodman bought out Janitrash oops I mean Janitrol in 1982. The last two units that were installed at my workplace were Janitrash and Goodman. I can't get these people here to realize what they are getting into, oh well, it isn't my dollar that is going to fix them .

Wow!! $15K for a new unit. I didn't realize it cost that much. You see, my husband does this for a living so I guess that is another reason I would never buy the warranty. We have been VERY lucky with our 15 year old unit, we just make sure it is kept clean, inside and out. Actually, I guess I should say I make sure it is clean. You know the old saying, a carpenters house is never finished, well....... that is me I always laugh when my husband is talking to people on the phone and he says "when is the last time you changed your filter?" I'm thinking, 'when is the last time YOU changed your filter? LOL~~

Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

The only model number I have is AR-61-1 and that's off the inside box. It's a 5 ton because my house is 2700 square feet; better known as as about the maximum that size unit can handle. They said 3000 square feet is the magic number where they use two units instead of one and I seriously wish I had two. We mostly need A/C for upstairs and the downstairs can get pretty chilly.
I did notice the installed this thing called a bi-directional coil dryer on the inside box. I don't know what it is, but (knock wood) the thing has worked fine since the last inside coil replacement last summer.. and I know condensation on the coils is what kills them.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The only model number I have is AR-61-1 and that's off the inside box. It's a 5 ton because my house is 2700 square feet; better known as as about the maximum that size unit can handle. They said 3000 square feet is the magic number where they use two units instead of one and I seriously wish I had two. We mostly need A/C for upstairs and the downstairs can get pretty chilly.
I did notice the installed this thing called a bi-directional coil dryer on the inside box. I don't know what it is, but (knock wood) the thing has worked fine since the last inside coil replacement last summer.. and I know condensation on the coils is what kills them.

5 tons actually sounds a little small for 2700 sq ft. A good rule of thumb is 1 ton for every 500 sq ft.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM

They don't go over 5 tons do they? The guy said mine is as big as a single unit gets.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
They don't go over 5 tons do they? The guy said mine is as big as a single unit gets.
No 5 ton is max. That is pushing it for 2700 sq ft, but if you are well insulated, shaded, minimum windows facing west then you should be fine.

Is your unit a heat pump?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM

443 posts, read 1,505,608 times
i got the 10 yr warranty for about 1800 from airtron, that includes twice a year of maintenance service, aside from if it actually breaks... and it is transferable to the next owner if you sell your house...

Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
No 5 ton is max. That is pushing it for 2700 sq ft, but if you are well insulated, shaded, minimum windows facing west then you should be fine.

Is your unit a heat pump?
it is, but it still works hard to cool. it basically sucks to be us
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
i got the 10 yr warranty for about 1800 from airtron, that includes twice a year of maintenance service, aside from if it actually breaks... and it is transferable to the next owner if you sell your house...
that sounds like a good investment and great terms

Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not real sure about this stuff myself so I just called my hubby and asked him about a bi-directional coil. He said if it is a heat pump then you HAVE to have a bi-directional coil because the refrigerant runs two ways.

So if you do have a heat pump and this bi-directional drier was never installed before maybe that is why you were having problems (my words, not hubbys ).
Heat pumps are a LOT less expensive to run in the winter. They don't make a difference in the summer time. But in the winter you will not be running those electric strips inside that cost so much to heat (the ones you smell when you first turn your heater on). Unless of course, it is below freezing, then those electric strips have to run, but how often does that happen in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio