Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times

Advertisements

I tried Brothers once, and it was like they decided to dump a full cup of oregano on the pizza. It was salty too. I'll try this Big Lou's someday. Yes, Goomba's is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:27 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
I got Big Lou's on the radar screen......

Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 PM

343 posts, read 1,305,416 times
Goomba's is very good. Their Supreme pizza is excellent and their pastas are good too.

Now that they'll be on this side of town, we'll visit more often.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 PM

358 posts, read 821,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
But neither of them have a location on the NW side, to my knowledge--or do they?? I like pizza, but I'm not driving across town for it. If I'm already over there, that's a different story, because I've heard from countless people how good Big Lou's is. I just never seem to have any reason to be over near there.
Unfortunately, you are correct on that score. I've told Mr. Lujan (Big Lou) that he should get over to the Potranco/1604 area (where I conveniently happen to live), but he told me he doesn't want to rent, wants to own his building like he does on WW White. He apparently can't find a place in his price range. Do yourself a favor, though, and drive over there. Try their garlic breadsticks (which is really a small pizza) in addition to their regular pizza. If you have a large group, they even have a couple of REALLY large pizzas. One is something like 36" diameter and I believe they now have one even bigger. He told me he has a machinist buddy who makes the pans for the big ones. One caveat on the big ones - the dough gets kinda soft in the middle (I like pizza to be very crispy on the bottom is why I mention this). They're closed on Mondays.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM

358 posts, read 821,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Anyone have both Goomba's and Grant St.? I am just asking because I Love Grant St. and I want to see how good this Goombas is.
The guy who owns Goomba's (I forget his name) used to be part owner of Grant St.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct on that score. I've told Mr. Lujan (Big Lou) that he should get over to the Potranco/1604 area (where I conveniently happen to live), but he told me he doesn't want to rent, wants to own his building like he does on WW White. He apparently can't find a place in his price range. Do yourself a favor, though, and drive over there. Try their garlic breadsticks (which is really a small pizza) in addition to their regular pizza. If you have a large group, they even have a couple of REALLY large pizzas. One is something like 36" diameter and I believe they now have one even bigger. He told me he has a machinist buddy who makes the pans for the big ones. One caveat on the big ones - the dough gets kinda soft in the middle (I like pizza to be very crispy on the bottom is why I mention this). They're closed on Mondays.
Thank you for the info! Maybe next weekend....so many restaurants, so little time!! I've heard about their giant pizzas--and I hate raw dough, though--with a passion! I think we'd go for a smaller one anyway.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Rome's is my favorite pizza place, but I keep forgetting about it now that I don't work right there. I'm going to lunch with a friend today so I think I'll suggest we go there.

The original Rome's is at DeZavala and I-10. I haven't tried any of their other locations.

I wasn't crazy about Goomba's. Big Lou's is good pizza and worth the drive to the back of beyond (at least from my house it's the back of beyond. That was charting new territory for me! )

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My favorite is a new york style pizza place locally. Other than that I also like California Pizza kitchen.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM

161 posts, read 360,478 times
Necro post!

We visit the Goomba's at Bandera nearly every Sunday after church. It's quality, new york style pizza, and you just can't beat the two large slices and drink for like $5.

Big Lou's is pretty good too, but they're on equal footing to me. We have ordered that 36" pizza from them before, and between 10 people we finished maybe half of it. We would go there more if it wasn't on the complete other side of town.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
Central Park Pizza downtown, adjacent to Main Plaza, is pretty good too! They have all sorts of different kinds of slices. I like the tomato & basil as well as the spinach and ricotta.

Goomba's on blanco is good too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: