Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

I drove by there in the Jeep earlier, and there was a line of people camped out in front of the store for the $20 gift cards. I guess they have the time to do that.

Anyhow, I am with BN on my experiences with Best Buy. They sold me a crap TV that was their own brand (Insignia, never buy one!) and apparantly the repair shop where I took it told me you cannot get parts for them. I refuse to buy any electronics from Best Buy. Maybe a CD or a DVD, but never anything more than $20.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
Is the Best Buy the only store open there so far?
Yes, as far as I can tell...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 PM

269 posts, read 745,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I got a special invite since we are best buy reward zone members. I just wondered if it was anything special or if it would have been a waste of time. It opens to the public on thursday though.
ok then I have not gone completely off my rocker, I would be but when I bought this computer.... they failed to tell me of it and by the time I found out too late for me, will definately sign up next time!

going to try to swing over this weekend

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,669 times
I went last night, nice looking store on the inside.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM

53 posts, read 164,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I drove by there in the Jeep earlier, and there was a line of people camped out in front of the store for the $20 gift cards. I guess they have the time to do that.

Anyhow, I am with BN on my experiences with Best Buy. They sold me a crap TV that was their own brand (Insignia, never buy one!) and apparantly the repair shop where I took it told me you cannot get parts for them. I refuse to buy any electronics from Best Buy. Maybe a CD or a DVD, but never anything more than $20.

Cheers! M2
As with anything you buy, you must be a smart consumer. I'm sorry that majormadmax had a bad experience but you can't judge all of Best Buy on that. I can tell you from my experiences that I have bought many items and have had NO problems at all. Here's just a sample of things I've bought from Best Buy:

55" Mitsubishi Projection TV
50" Panasonic Plasma TV
LG Steam Washer
LG Steam Dryer
GE Profile SS French Door Fridge
Klipsch Home Theatre System Components for 6.1 Surround with in-ceiling speakers
Best Buy Home Theatre Installation
XBOX 360
Nintendo Wii
lots of other stuff...

The only reason I post this is that I've bought "big ticket" items as people would call them and have had no problem. I second the notion that Insignia is not a good brand..it's a Best Buy brand and it's super cheap hence the quality isn't there. The same goes with Westinghouse and others. You're just taking a chance with those. I've always found Best Buy to be very helpful and I love the discounts with the Reward Zone...triple points and 12% off coupons save TONS of money when you're buying big ticket items. Their installation of my home theatre system was great! As with anything. do your research and talk to other people. I will be the first to tell you that 3 different Best Buy employees told me different things about my speakers when I was deciding what to get. I went to Bjorns to get a second opinion and they said Klipsch were among the best speakers you could get which went along with what one of the Best Buy guys said. Just do your homework and you'll be fine but don't generalize a store based on one bad experience. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter. Oh and for all of us RBR types...that BB opening up is great because I was tired of going over to the one on 410

Jason

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,667 times
I agree with Jason on the matter. Sure best buy gives you the run around on certain items. WHO DOESN'T THESE DAYS!!! You go to any store and each one will have their 3-5 employees that look as if they have never worked a day in that store. Then you have the other people who love what they do. I for one will always do my research before I go and buy something of electronics. Bjorns and me are on serious hatred for each other right now so i wont go there, but when it comes to service, its hit or miss anywhere you go. Best Buy has been in business for years, and with their reward zone offers, it makes it that much more appealing to shop there. I want to know im getting a little more than just the product.

As for the insignia brand, i have recently purchased a 32inch insignia LCD from best buy, and the salesman gave me a wonderful deal. He even discounted me an Xbox360. all in all i paid $800 for the TV and xbox and the 4 year warranty for anything that goes wrong with it. To this day i have never had a problem with the TV and the tech support with best buy when you call is great!

All in all, just do your research when purchasing a "big ticket" item and not what the employee wants you to hear.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Yeah, Best Buy may not pay commission, but I'm sure they have "sales contests." Same goes at Circuit City. You're going to get told what the pimply-faced kid who wants to win a $50 gift card gets told.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,196 times
ugghh, whenever I hear the name "best buy" I get a sour taste in my mouth. I got hired there as a seasonal employee hoping to become permanent, and the things they want you do to are crazy! they want the employee to try and make the customer buy things they dont really need. and they make you try and sell magazine subscriptions. its called "upselling" and the more subscriptions you get, the more bonuses your supervisor gets. I was in the music dept. and most of my co-workers didnt know jack about music. and get this.... I worked at wherehouse music till it shut down, and I had customers that followed me to best buy, I was doing in my opinion great, and they didnt keep me. and I was one of the few employees there that knew what they were talking about. I better stop now..LOL its no surprise that there is a website out there called "best buy sux" google it.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,667 times
I visited the website, but it was more of a best buy is awesome webstie. unless I went to the wrong one.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Worth the drive? What's going to be different about this BB from any of the other 10 in San Antonio? It's a big-box electronics retailer, so it's unlikely that each store is really that unique. To my knowledge, only the new in-BB Apple 'store' is the current separating factor...

Yeah, I'm a little bitter. As a home theater enthusiast who's getting mostly wrong or bad info from BB floor employees, it simply makes me insane. While Bjorn's is expensive, you get EXACTLY what you pay for: Solid service, a follow-up call and someone who can answer just about anything you can throw at him. I'm willing to pay for that.

But, playing Devil's Advocate...

I did recently get into an argument with a Bjorn's employee over the validity of spending hundreds on Monster-brand cables: He was just spitting out what the Monster told him to, while completely ignoring that overpaying for HDMI cable is plain stupid. Digital transmission is digital transmission. I've gotten all of my in-wall stuff from Monoprice.

Okay. I've gotten way off-topic now. Sorry... The thought of electronics equipment sends me into a frenzy

BN
Monoprice is a great resource. I just got a new blu-ray to go with my new 1080P Sony Bravia and will be buying my HDMI1.3 cables from monoprice for a fraction of the cost of Monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio