Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Rim upscale shopping, or just another strip mall?
Upscale shopping 24 26.97%
Just another strip mall 65 73.03%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM

545 posts, read 2,275,391 times

Advertisements

I contend that the Rim is getting all kinds of attention for being upscale when it's really no different than most of the other shopping centers in this city. There are very few upscale shops in the Rim, but it's proximity to La Cantera and the Dominion seems to make people think that it's some sort of high class shopping center. I disagree...Target, Best Buy, Bass Pro. I would not consider any of these stores to be "upscale."

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,326 times
There are more stores to come, many of them considered "upscale". There was a thread about that recently; I'll see if I can find it.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,326 times
Found it!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...d-upscale.html

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
The choices in the poll are too black/white. The reality will be somewhere in between. A project as massive as The Rim needs those popular mass-market anchors so it can be viable as a retail center.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,757,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I contend that the Rim is getting all kinds of attention for being upscale when it's really no different than most of the other shopping centers in this city. There are very few upscale shops in the Rim, but it's proximity to La Cantera and the Dominion seems to make people think that it's some sort of high class shopping center. I disagree...Target, Best Buy, Bass Pro. I would not consider any of these stores to be "upscale."

What do you think?
Yes, I agree Scott....
I do like one or two of their stores quite a bit, in particular World Market. The next closest one is at 410 and San Pedro, and thank you very much, no....... I will go to the Rim to visit World Market.....
So far, it's cleaner, also, which is a big plus for me....(referring to the whole 'strip mall' in general, not just World Market)....
I like that they have a free standing Kirkland's there also.....
Haven't tried that new Home Goods store (not sure of the name) down at the far end yet... would like to visit there soon....

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,170,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Yes, I agree Scott....
I do like one or two of their stores quite a bit, in particular World Market. The next closest one is at 410 and San Pedro, and thank you very much, no....... I will go to the Rim to visit World Market.....
So far, it's cleaner, also, which is a big plus for me....(referring to the whole 'strip mall' in general, not just World Market)....
I like that they have a free standing Kirkland's there also.....
Haven't tried that new Home Goods store (not sure of the name) down at the far end yet... would like to visit there soon....

Dang, ya'll are making me shopping hungry. I haven't been to the Rim in quite a while (like since it first opened). I think I will have to check it out tomorrow, I didn't realize they had so many stores.

Oh yea, to stay on topic. I don't think it is 'upscale'. Some of the people I saw there were a little snooty, but that doesn't make the place upscale.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
We had another thread recently that talked about how The Rim and La Cantera are being positioned nationally and around the state as "Shoppertainment" destinations. Shoppertainment is not just upscale, it's a smorgasbord of the upscale and the mundane.

IMO, the epitome of Shoppertainment is the Mall of America in Minnesota. I think The Rim, La Cantera and Fiesta Texas as a package will compare very favorably with the Mall of America. Individually, they're not that special.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,751,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
The Rim - upscale or just another strip mall?

Can't it be both? I mean, I've seen most of those shops in plain old strip malls (e.g. World Market) in other places of the country so... upscale seems to me to be mutually exclusive and related to one's perception of the place. But at the end of the day, it's a strip mall.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,406,755 times
Strip mall, It has a JCPENNEY for gosh sakes.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,951,912 times
The Rim is a strip mall in that it has many "common" stores (Best Buy, Ross, etc.) found in a lot of other strip malls. However, the aesthetics of the Rim have an appeal not found in many other neighboring shopping centers. However, I wouldn't exactly call it an "upscale shopping center." Until it has a little more "Rodeo Drive," I'd just call it a really nice strip mall.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio