Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom View Post
Sorry to say, but you can park in a bike lane as long as there are not any "NO PARKING" signs, this is per San Antonio's finest. Happens all the time along Mystic Park in NW San Antonio.

And the people who put garbage cans, chairs or cones in the street to block parking spaces are actually doing that illegally and can be fined for creating a road hazard and blocking a public thoroughfare.
Yes, after I wrote that I asked and found out that you CAN park in a bike lane, and I do it every day now. I'm only there for a minute or two when I pick up my son after school, but it feels so naughty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,324 times
Default Public Residential Parking

Mesquite TX Dallas County
OK here's the problem.

I understand that it is a public street and parking is premitted on it but what if it is taken to extremes

The neighbor across the street has a total of 10+ cars belonging to different persons within their household. Now this zoned single family dwellings. They park in front of their house my house and homes next door on both sides of the street. At times taking up the crubs of 6 houses.

The street is narrow enough that sometimes backing out or pulling into your own driveway brings you close to hitting one of their cars. Having guests and family visit requires musical cars in the drive or having them park sometimes 2 houses down.

Is there some kind of regulation limiting the number of cars a household has for public parking little alone the number of people attached to a 3 bedroom house?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domocile View Post
Mesquite TX Dallas County
OK here's the problem.

I understand that it is a public street and parking is premitted on it but what if it is taken to extremes

The neighbor across the street has a total of 10+ cars belonging to different persons within their household. Now this zoned single family dwellings. They park in front of their house my house and homes next door on both sides of the street. At times taking up the crubs of 6 houses.

The street is narrow enough that sometimes backing out or pulling into your own driveway brings you close to hitting one of their cars. Having guests and family visit requires musical cars in the drive or having them park sometimes 2 houses down.

Is there some kind of regulation limiting the number of cars a household has for public parking little alone the number of people attached to a 3 bedroom house?
I doubt it. The cars are registered to that home & all the cars are for the inhabitants of the dwelling. You'd best suck it up & avoid hitting the cars in the street. It's not THAT hard. The other thing you can do is park backwards into your own driveway so that when you drive out, you minimize the odds of hitting someone else's car.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
I wish I could figure out why some Folks don't:

1. Use their garage for its' intended purpose.
2. Park the cars that don't fit in the garage in the driveway.

The public street is not meant to be a Storage Facility. The street in front of our homes is not our lazy neighbors parking spot. The same lazy neighbors who has had his / her garage full of **** for years.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post

The public street is not meant to be a Storage Facility. The street in front of our homes is not our lazy neighbors parking spot. The same lazy neighbors who has had his / her garage full of **** for years.
It's still within peoples' rights to use their garage for whatever they want: parking cars, storing dead bodies in freezers, storing food, whatever. You have no right to infringe on their right. Public streets ARE NOT being used as storage facilities when owners are parking their daily drivers in the street, which is the only place they can leave it.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: as an ex-New Yorker, all you people screaming about cars parking in the street make me LAUGH SO HARD.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post

Weel most of the homes here are remodeled an garages are converted to an additional room, but we do have driveways and city code is single family dwellings.

I go by city code and respect it. Can't park my motorhome on pave blocks under each wheel, was cited to either put in a drive in my backyard.... done. Don't park my boat on the side of the house where there is more than enough space, more drive in back more driveway.... done. I am to live by city codes so expect everyone else to also do so.

A rent house with now known 15 occupants and a total count of 12 cars which only one can park in the drive due to the one on jackstands that has been that way for the last 4 month is not in code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
It's still within peoples' rights to use their garage for whatever they want: parking cars, storing dead bodies in freezers, storing food, whatever. You have no right to infringe on their right. Public streets ARE NOT being used as storage facilities when owners are parking their daily drivers in the street, which is the only place they can leave it.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: as an ex-New Yorker, all you people screaming about cars parking in the street make me LAUGH SO HARD.
True they can use their garage for whatever they want. An some Homeowners associations enforce that. But I feel it's common to yell the infringement battle cry for those infringing on others in the frist place.

In this city parking on a public street for more than 24 hrs is considered storage. When parking on my curb for longer than that period I can have them towed. I'm just trying to find a better solution.

Backing in, you assume way too much. I can barely pull in and have the same complaint from friends and family visiting. They pack in their cars so tight they cover the curb bend into the drives. I say just park in front of sombody elses 2 houses down but let them know your doing it. To the letter of what city code dictates.

In general there are very few cars parked on the street with the exception of those that have a third or forth car that they park at their own curb not 12 cars parked in front of 6 houses.

People that take advantage of laxed enforcement usually cause full enforcement to be put in place that's nothing to laugh about.

But I thought this message string was about city prking codes and not pot shots at people trying to discuss them. I won't use the "T" word

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
There are so many streets in this city where 2 cars can't pass each other safely at once because of all the street clutter! Cars parked on the streets up and down, both sides. LOL what a joke.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,199 times
i was going to say... big difference between BigCity parking/traffic in a BigCity, and suburban neighborhoods that have BigCity parking/traffic and can't support it because it's, duh, not a BigCity.

as hotrodman said, many neighborhood streets can not support praking on both sides of the street (with cars facing BOTH directions on both sides) and road ways become one way streets whether you like it or not. pedestrians are harder to see as well when you can't even see where the sidewalks are.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
In San Antonio, Texas in a gated community how many hours can an individual park (store) a vehicle
on the street without moving it.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjacobs View Post
In San Antonio, Texas in a gated community how many hours can an individual park (store) a vehicle
on the street without moving it.
Is that a statement or a question?

Are you asking how many hours can a car be parked without moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio