Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,510,926 times

Advertisements

Just so I'm clear on this before I do anything, a public street in a residential, non-gated neighborhood, with no NO Parking signs or paint on the curb is open for parking, provided the vehicle does not block access.
Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
And it can't block a bike lane or be in front of a fire hydrant, as far as I know.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:51 PM

545 posts, read 2,275,243 times
^^ Can't block a bike lane...that's a good one. Wish they'd actually enforce that!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,161 times
If you are familar with reading contract language...you can read the actual city codes here:
City Municipal Code Search on the San Antonio Community Portal

There is a lot of stuff on parking. Technically you can't leave a vehicle parked in a street for more than 24hrs....that is considered storage. But you will be hard pressed to find a policeman that will enforce some of these little known parking laws.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,510,926 times
Thanks...

Some newcomers to a high density/commerical bordered area think the street is their private property....just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. We have cars parking in front of our house all the time. I never thought to go yell at them (except the one time they didn't respond to their car alarm in a timely manner).

Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
cjw

125 posts, read 477,828 times
I know you aren't asking about Alamo Heights but I'll post it here anyway in case it can help anyone. In AH you cannot park overnight on the street or you can be ticketed. You can park on the street overnight if you call the city for permission and give them your license plate number. You can also be ticketed in AH for parking in the wrong direction on the street. Ask me how I know - or should I say ask my kids how I know. They have received several of each.

My son had his pickup parked in front of our house one night and a lady ran into it. She tried to get out of her insurance company paying for the repairs by saying his pickup was parked the wrong direction. Like it made a difference that the parked car she hit was from the front end or rear end? Haha -

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM

734 posts, read 3,003,535 times
A friend of mine has neighbors who insist that the curb in front of their house is designated their parking, and will throw a fit when she throws parties and people park in "their" spot. She is kind, and obliges but I say it's public parking and they need to just suck it up.

I read the codes - or at least tried - and didn't see anything about that. Anyone see anything I didn't?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
A friend of mine has neighbors who insist that the curb in front of their house is designated their parking, and will throw a fit when she throws parties and people park in "their" spot. She is kind, and obliges but I say it's public parking and they need to just suck it up.

I read the codes - or at least tried - and didn't see anything about that. Anyone see anything I didn't?
Sorry, I have to agree with your friend's neighbor. Common courtesy should prevail and people should ask first if it's OK--I mean, surely they know she parks there every day. Of course, it doesn't "belong" to her, but she uses it all the time and your friend knows that.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,394,885 times
We have a guy up the street from us with a big truck and a big rv that parks in the street. I lost all visibility in that direction - I can't see the cars that fly over the hill. I have to back out of my driveway very carefully...

He doesn't do it all of the time, but when he does it's usually 1-2 weeks. I may have to go talk to him about it...

Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
We have a guy up the street from us with a big truck and a big rv that parks in the street. I lost all visibility in that direction - I can't see the cars that fly over the hill. I have to back out of my driveway very carefully...

He doesn't do it all of the time, but when he does it's usually 1-2 weeks. I may have to go talk to him about it...
I have come across the same issue before. From what I understand, it is against the law to store an RV/Boat/trailer in the street. City code provides allowances for loading, cleaning, light maintenance, but I would consider anything more than 24 hours a nuisance. Sometimes police are responsive to this issue, other times they don't seem to care. Call the non-emergency 207-SAPD and report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio