U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: San Antonio, marketing majors, job market, studio apt, bug exterminators.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM

84 posts, read 531,738 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin, I'll be graduating college in the next year or so, therefore, I am trying to obtain some information on cities which I might be interested in moving to. I definitely think I want to get out of Wisconsin, so my main choices are Chicago (to stay fairly close to home), Denver, Phoenix, possibly New York (only because I have relatives there), maybe somewhere in Florida, but the job market is bad and now I've been interested in San Antonio or somewhere in Texas.

My first question is, what is economy like in San Antonio? I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the area?

Second, what do fairly nice studio apartments run for in the downtown/near downtown area? I'm not looking for luxury, but I'm not looking for something old and run down either. I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $35k a year. I realize that is not much at all for a big city, but could one live fairly decently on that salary in San Antonio? I apologize if I'm being naive and it's not realistic to think I could live there on that salary, but I don't mean to be, I just simply do not know about living expenses there.

I, like many other people despise insects. My main concern is spiders. I realize Texas is a great place for spiders. Here, we get small ones in the house every once and awhile, nothing big, but their presence in my house is not something I enjoy. I have no problems with spiders if they stay outside, in their natural habitat, but once they come into my house, I can't stand them and I freak out a bit. What I'm getting to here is, are spiders common in homes down in the area? Would I be safe in most apartment complexes?

Also, if San Antonio isn't my best Texas option, feel free to give me some other tips as well. I'm just looking to gather some info right now about different places. I've always been keen on the history of San Antonio and a lot of Texas and the southwest.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
I'm going to defer to others who are better informed here on the first couple of answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rode View Post
I, like many other people despise insects. My main concern is spiders. I realize Texas is a great place for spiders. Here, we get small ones in the house every once and awhile, nothing big, but their presence in my house is not something I enjoy. I have no problems with spiders if they stay outside, in their natural habitat, but once they come into my house, I can't stand them and I freak out a bit. What I'm getting to here is, are spiders common in homes down in the area? Would I be safe in most apartment complexes?
In a temperate climate like we have in Texas, the bugs do tend to get bigger than they do up north. There are spiders, cockroaches, scorpions and fire ants galore.

We also have plenty of exterminating companies who can lay down a perimeter chemical barrier, do indoor treatments, and advise you on areas where bugs can enter, all in an effort to keep your home bug-free. If you're renting an apartment, you'll want to quiz the landlord on how they treat for bugs, how well the treatment they use works and how long it takes to get supplementary treatments if you see bugs.

Mrs. Bowie doesn't care much for bugs, either. She gladly puts up with them outside, in exchange for the very mild south Texas version of winter. I don't think bugs should be a deal-killer for you to move to Texas.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,043 times
Quote:
I definitely think I want to get out of Wisconsin, so my main choices are Chicago (to stay fairly close to home), Denver, Phoenix, possibly New York (only because I have relatives there), maybe somewhere in Florida, but the job market is bad and now I've been interested in San Antonio or somewhere in Texas.
Of all the places you listed, San Antonio would be the least expensive place to live, from a "downtown housing cost" standpoint. You're looking at anywhere from $500-$1200/mo depending on whether you want to share a house, rent a small studio, or live in a larger/more luxury apartment. I've recently paid $700/mo for a 1BR apt in King William/Southtown/Blue Star (right downtown) and I've paid $1100/mo for a 2BR bungalow house with a yard in Mahncke Park (just a little north of downtown). Both places were very nice but not "luxury" apts (granite, stainless, etc.). Check out craigslist listings to see what's out there.

Quote:
I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the area? <snip> I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $35k a year.
Depending on your interest areas and work experience, there should be plenty of opportunities for you in marketing in San Antonio. SA is home to many Fortune 500 companies who are always looking for entry-level people, and I would bet that a bachelor's degree and one or two internships would get you an entry-level job somewhere in the high 20s to high 30s (some industries pay more than others). Of course, if you have significant work experience, you could expect more. SA was recently ranked as one of the most recession-proof cities in the country, if that's worth anything. Can a single person live on $35K a year in SA? Heck yeah, unless you're totally under water with student loans, car payments, credit card debt, etc... then things might be tight. But that's the nature of just getting started in your career.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,409,375 times
Default Hello there,

Yep, San Antone, is a great place to land. Opportunities? Matketing?
San ANtonio is a large market but the median income is not very good.
On the other hand the cost of living is very low.
The cost of living is low, it is hot as hades but no more snow blowers or rusty cars etc. The winters are mild. Houston is too big and smog filled, S.A. is the cleanest place of it's size ever. Just look at all the freeway overpasses, they are bleached white , no is no industry to speak of.
Austin is alright if you prefer a small town. However it lacks all the flaver of a San ANtonio, it is rather bland andone diomensionaland lacks the history
and culture blending of a very old city. TO me it is the best place to settle around, anywhere.
The only thing it lacks is plentiful a water source. Sometimes everyone is on rationing, however it is only about car washing and lawn watering etc.
Insects? Yes they are there but not overly problematic. The northern states like your have the worst mosquito problem ever!
Just watch for the fireants if your in the woods, the palmetto bugs
are huge,locally called roaches . three inches long, I think four inches is exaggerating but everything is bigger in Texas, did you know that?
Quote:
I'm from Wisconsin, I'll be graduating college in the next year or so, therefore, I am trying to obtain some information on cities which I might be interested in moving to. I definitely think I want to get out of Wisconsin, so my main choices are Chicago (to stay fairly close to home), Denver, Phoenix, possibly New York (only because I have relatives there), maybe somewhere in Florida, but the job market is bad and now I've been interested in San Antonio or somewhere in Texas.

My first question is, what is economy like in San Antonio? I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the area?

Second, what do fairly nice studio apartments run for in the downtown/near downtown area? I'm not looking for luxury, but I'm not looking for something old and run down either. I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $35k a year. I realize that is not much at all for a big city, but could one live fairly decently on that salary in San Antonio? I apologize if I'm being naive and it's not realistic to think I could live there on that salary, but I don't mean to be, I just simply do not know about living expenses there.

Also, if San Antonio isn't my best Texas option, feel free to give me some other tips as well. I'm just looking to gather some info right now about different places. I've always been keen on the history of San Antonio and a lot of Texas and the southwest.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,473,038 times
j-rode, I hope this helps.

classifieds - craigslist

It's rentals sorted from 400-700 dollars a month.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 AM

592 posts, read 1,831,172 times
Yes 35k would be enough to live on but you might make for if you hit up usaa or valero kci for a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio