U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 PM

56 posts, read 153,774 times

Advertisements

We've noticed that they've been flying low lately too. Low enough to cast an actual shadow over our house and make us think the electricity blinked! I love 'em! Makes me feel proud to be military!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
That's the sound of freedom. Appreciate it.

I will see if I can find out from my buds at the Wing why the FREDs are flying low. Might be an effort to save gas while flying local training missions...

Cheers! M2
When did they start calling C5's FREDs? We always called them Fat Albert's.

Here is a question for everyone? What military aircraft have you flown in?
I'll start off with:

C5, C141, C9, C130, T39, AWACS, RC135, and KC10.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,745,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post

I'll start off with:

C5, C130, various heli's. Unfortunately nothing fast for me. We did lots of C130 training missions with the bay doors open, that was exciting!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,359,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I used to work near there a couple of years ago at a small business park across the runway from the C-17 factory. The old McDonnell Douglass plant is nearly gone now. The old DC Jets sign I think was taken down after I left in fall 2006. I think the city of Long Beach had plans for the land.
Did you ever get to see them tow the MD class planes across Bellflower Blvd to the paint shop?
Awesome!!! They always tried to do that in the wee hours, but occasionally when under the gun.... it just went whenever....
my first week living in Long Beach, long before I worked for the carrier I'd mentioned, I happened to be stopped on Bellflower while they towed this monster MD80 across a painted/slashed area that looked like a gargantuan crosswalk....
OMG it was so cool!!!
I miss Long Beach very very much....
did you live there also or just work there?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:50 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,753,491 times
PGR ~ I just posted in the off topic thread about this. You MUST have run in to Otherhalf while you were out there! He was on both the C-17 and MD11 programs!! And moving the plane across Bellflower to the paint shop was one of his crew's duties!! He monitored it quite often and one time even had to lock a fireman inside the plane because he wouldn't get out of it so they could move it!! LOL!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM

144 posts, read 621,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post

I'll start off with:

Blue Angels's C130 Hercules is called fat Albert. I don't know why C-5's are flying lower I really don"t see a difference. They usually hit Medina county line before they turn back. I am greatfull everytime i see Military ACFT above me, UTSA did a study on economic impact of Kelly?Port SA alone and its in the Billions since Kelly was privatized.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
PGR ~ I just posted in the off topic thread about this. You MUST have run in to Otherhalf while you were out there! He was on both the C-17 and MD11 programs!! And moving the plane across Bellflower to the paint shop was one of his crew's duties!! He monitored it quite often and one time even had to lock a fireman inside the plane because he wouldn't get out of it so they could move it!! LOL!
Oh my goodness, I wonder if I might have!! Memories are getting foggy these years later, but I recall the title "BUM"? Business Unit Manager?.... was he one of those or something else....

LOL re the fireman!! Was it a city fireman, or an employee of MD? Why was he in there in the first place and why did he refuse to get out? how very funny..... LOLOL....
Well, I can tell you, I got nearly a lifetime of stories, investigating their workers' comp claims!!!

Ooh, and I'll tell ya, they kept me fairly busy in that paint shop with claims.... I saw/heard/investigated some things that would make your head spin... I kinda favored the military side, not sure why.... I know that I really LOVED being around the C-class planes....

Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,901,201 times
By starting this thread I only meant if anyone else noticed what I did. Boy do I feel pride in seeing them too. I often wonder what people from other states, also othe countries who visit SA think. "GEEZ, these guys are true blue, you can't mess with this place!!!" I hope they think that... I especially like when the jets fly in formation just for the heck of it. Thank you all for your responses.

EDIT: BTW, I am going to throw in "The Kingdom" to finish off my evening.

Last edited by SA Greed; 05-24-2008 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: BTW

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I used to go down there and sit every once and a while, never had a problem with it and I think the chances of someone using a MANPAD against a C-5 or even an F-16 in the pattern are slim; but it is no more a threat here than it is anywhere else in the world.

I've seen some interesting aircraft do tough-and-go's at Kelly, from BUFFs to NATO AWACS, from Hawgs (always love the Hawgs!) to Eagles...even NASA's Super Guppy, which is based up at Ellington Field.

Always love to birdwatch!

Cheers! M2
M2,
what is a MANPAD?
I love to 'birdwatch' too.... always have... my Daddy got me started I guess; he used to take me out to an old airfield where some very small planes and some private planes flew out of. They had a small air museum there also and we kids could climb around on the planes... great fun..... they would NEVER allow that anymore....
oh, and also, what is a tough-and-go?
thx, Holly/PGR

Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,228,591 times
If I'm not mistaken, it's touch-and-go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or