U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:14 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,840,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Did you ever get to see them tow the MD class planes across Bellflower Blvd to the paint shop?
Awesome!!! They always tried to do that in the wee hours, but occasionally when under the gun.... it just went whenever....
my first week living in Long Beach, long before I worked for the carrier I'd mentioned, I happened to be stopped on Bellflower while they towed this monster MD80 across a painted/slashed area that looked like a gargantuan crosswalk....
OMG it was so cool!!!
I miss Long Beach very very much....
did you live there also or just work there?
I lived there in 2006. Seal Beach, actually. I was lucky to be sent there on a rotational assignment and except for the extra high cost of living and housing bubble I was sad when it was over. There was a program that needed a lot of help to get put back in the right direction; it was one of my favorite projects so far. I pretty much got up, went to work came back home and grabbed my board, and drove over to Bolsa Chica until the wind came in and the waves started to die down. The people at the In and Out near the Long Beach / Seal Beach line on PCH pretty much knew me by name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 AM

95 posts, read 382,475 times
Jets are our life. Guess I got it by osmosis or something. We've always -- in 15 years of marriage -- lived under a flight path. Gotta have the sound of freedom. Gotta breath a little "JP". It not only pays the bills, but it's a way of life. It's exhilarating in every way!

Our favorite flight path was when we lived in England. A lot of different jets came over; but when the conditions were "just so" the Special Ops 130s would come in on final to Mildenhall, treetop level, 'bout 3 am. Now that is a moment.... rather "Apocalypse Now"... especially when the PaveLow (sp?) guys were flying multi-ship formations right behind. OMG. Totally scare you to death.

Yep, when we looked at our new neighborhood in SA we checked to make sure we'd have airplanes coming over. It's a requirement!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
M2,
what is a MANPAD?
I love to 'birdwatch' too.... always have... my Daddy got me started I guess; he used to take me out to an old airfield where some very small planes and some private planes flew out of. They had a small air museum there also and we kids could climb around on the planes... great fun..... they would NEVER allow that anymore....
oh, and also, what is a tough-and-go?
thx, Holly/PGR
Man-Portable Air Defense System, basically a shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile.

And a 'tough-and-go' is actually a typo, meant to be 'touch-and-go'

Cheers! M2

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,359,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I lived there in 2006. Seal Beach, actually. I was lucky to be sent there on a rotational assignment and except for the extra high cost of living and housing bubble I was sad when it was over. There was a program that needed a lot of help to get put back in the right direction; it was one of my favorite projects so far. I pretty much got up, went to work came back home and grabbed my board, and drove over to Bolsa Chica until the wind came in and the waves started to die down. The people at the In and Out near the Long Beach / Seal Beach line on PCH pretty much knew me by name.
I frequented the In n Out on Los Coyotes Diagonal.... just above the traffic circle....
I lived in a condo near 7th Street and Redondo, tucked in a quiet, sweet little neighborhood with old bungalow style houses, picket fences, roses, tidy small but very green front yards... great memories...... miss it badly sometimes... but NOT the traffic and high prices....
I left Long Beach in a rather frightened state, actually, had been caught up in Rodney King riot territory, on that first very worst day, while handling claims at Northrop and was really tired of paying for OJ trials, freeways that collapsed during earthquakes and other various riots... we expected issues and expected the R King verdict that day, but never ever to the extent that we got..... 'twas an extremely frightening week..... there was even rioting and shooting right in Long Beach.... further away from where I lived, but still....

Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times
Anyone see any F-22s or F-35s flying over the area yet?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,344,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Anyone see any F-22s or F-35s flying over the area yet?
You probably never will unless its part of an airshow.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 PM

778 posts, read 2,224,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Here is a question for everyone? What military aircraft have you flown in?
I'll start off with:

C5, C141, C9, C130, T39, AWACS, RC135, and KC10.
I've had a few rides in the C-141 and C-130 (My favorite), and Blackhawk and Sea Knight helicopters.

I love the view of the C-5's flying approach at Kelly. And when they do touch and goes, there is that grind of the engine as they lift up and begin to make a sharp turn. The fact they are so big make them appear very slow and you simply wonder how they don't fall from the sky.

Some people question if we really did land a man on the moon or was it all an illusion. I submit that if I hadn't observed it first hand for the past 20 years, I'd think the C-5's were some Cold War trick.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,901,470 times
One thing I appreciate is that they still allow the Thunderbirds to perform at Kelly.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,359,689 times
So, okay, someone mentioned (and I haven't the time to find it right now) that you can pull over somewhere at ? 90 & 151 ? to watch the planes??
Is that location right? I haven't been able to find the post again....
Can someone tell me where I can go to watch these??? They fly over where I live (near Bandera and 410) almost daily, but I'd love to watch them land and take off some morning.....

I always assumed those were C17's flying over, but... ahhh I dunno.....

Old 05-25-2008, 04:41 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,357,274 times
it's on Kelly by where 151 goes over 90. You have to get off 151 or 90 at 36th street and head onto Kelly and then make that right turn at the light like you're heading towards Lackland. The landing strip is less than a mile down that road and you can get a great view of them coming in. I'd recommend earplugs because they are LOUD and you're literally right there. It's pretty intense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or