U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,349,040 times
Reputation: 3989

Advertisements

They were probably the F-16's I saw flying low over my house earlier today. I wish they could do it more often, but some people whine and cry about the loud noise. I remember one time when an F-14 broke the sound barrier over Monterey Bay and it blew out a couple windows. Those hippy's there got all PO'd and wouldn't accept a simple apology and reimbursement.
It's probably not a good idea to do that in a residential area, but it sure is impressive when they do. I remember one time in the 80's when I was on the USS America and we did an at-sea air show for ourselves. That was seriously fun because we were away from everything so they could do anything they wanted. One Tomcat pilot broke the sound barrier while charging right for the ship and turned at the last possible second. There's pictures on the internet of it happening and it was even better to be there as it happened. Scary as crap, but definitely unforgettable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,165,928 times
Reputation: 4435
Yeah, either F-16s from the TX ANG Formal Training Unit (FTU) at Kelly or a pair of T-38 trainers from Randolph.

Personally, I love the new T-6 Texan II prop-driven trainers at Randolph, they look and sound a lot like WWII fighters!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,371,828 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I loved the A-4 and hated watching the Blue Angels transfer over to the F/A-18. I don't know why I have never liked the 18, but it probably has something to do with it replacing so many other planes I loved like the Tomcat and Intruder. Nothing would rattle your windows in Virginia Beach like the Intruder and we used to live right under where they would turn around to land at NAS Oceana. It was annoying at the time, but I miss it now that it's gone.
I have a picture of a Thunderbird's F-4 flying low and upside down over the small runway at Goodfellow AFB back in 1972. I don't see them doing that anymore!

Last edited by Steel Man; 11-04-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Diyallusss, TX
1,805 posts, read 4,358,616 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
They were probably the F-16's I saw flying low over my house earlier today. I wish they could do it more often, but some people whine and cry about the loud noise. I remember one time when an F-14 broke the sound barrier over Monterey Bay and it blew out a couple windows. Those hippy's there got all PO'd and wouldn't accept a simple apology and reimbursement.
It's probably not a good idea to do that in a residential area, but it sure is impressive when they do. I remember one time in the 80's when I was on the USS America and we did an at-sea air show for ourselves. That was seriously fun because we were away from everything so they could do anything they wanted. One Tomcat pilot broke the sound barrier while charging right for the ship and turned at the last possible second. There's pictures on the internet of it happening and it was even better to be there as it happened. Scary as crap, but definitely unforgettable
OMG!!!!! You Lucky Duck!!! I would have loved seeing that !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,349,040 times
Reputation: 3989
so they actually used that runway for planes? I was there twice and we used it for the run portion of the PT test..
F-4's were great too. Nice simple planes that were extremely agile and very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,371,828 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
so they actually used that runway for planes? I was there twice and we used it for the run portion of the PT test..
F-4's were great too. Nice simple planes that were extremely agile and very fast.
No. They just did fly-bys there at Goodfellow. Have you been up there lately? The base has definitely filled in during the last 36 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
 
5,635 posts, read 13,976,324 times
Reputation: 2731
Okay...a geek question....no researching....what European airplane was the inspiration for the design of the T-6 Texan II?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Diyallusss, TX
1,805 posts, read 4,358,616 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
They were probably the F-16's I saw flying low over my house earlier today. I wish they could do it more often, but some people whine and cry about the loud noise. I remember one time when an F-14 broke the sound barrier over Monterey Bay and it blew out a couple windows. Those hippy's there got all PO'd and wouldn't accept a simple apology and reimbursement.
It's probably not a good idea to do that in a residential area, but it sure is impressive when they do. I remember one time in the 80's when I was on the USS America and we did an at-sea air show for ourselves. That was seriously fun because we were away from everything so they could do anything they wanted. One Tomcat pilot broke the sound barrier while charging right for the ship and turned at the last possible second. There's pictures on the internet of it happening and it was even better to be there as it happened. Scary as crap, but definitely unforgettable
uhh huhhhh... you lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or..... is it real? I guess there was a bit of speculation about it???
THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AIRSHOW LINKS PAGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Diyallusss, TX
1,805 posts, read 4,358,616 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
uhh huhhhh... you lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or..... is it real? I guess there was a bit of speculation about it???
THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AIRSHOW LINKS PAGE
and this photo was taken, according to the caption and the article in 1983.... Good Gawd!!! Jesus, I've got to get to bed....
Attached Thumbnails
C-5-1983-uss-america.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 AM
 
361 posts, read 823,836 times
Reputation: 247
I went to Holmes across the highway from Ingram mall, spent most of my life living in that neighborhood, and when growing up, I got used to seeing the C-5's, C-130's, C-41's,T-38 trainers, F-15's, and F-16's on a daily basis. When it was air show time, I'd see every type of plane imaginable fly in for it. I even remember when the space shuttle flew in around 1982. It did several large circles over the area as it reduced height, so you couldn't help but to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top