U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen?
SAPD should enforce the law 48 81.36%
I agree with the San Antonio sanctuary movement and would help them if possible 6 10.17%
All illegals should be able to stay but I would not help them 0 0%
I don't have an opinion yet 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM

10,406 posts, read 12,667,603 times

Advertisements

How dare the Mexican people set foot in the land we drove them out of!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I hope you are joking!:ro lleyes:

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,155,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You're missing the point...they are entering as "illegals". There was a war fought over this! Remember the Alamo? Anyways, that is besides the point. The boundaries were set up long before you and I were even a twinkle in our daddy's eye! The fact is...they are illegal. They are welcome to enter our country but they must do it legally! There are immigration laws for a reason. If we gave everyone from Mexico a "free pass" to enter our country, how long do you think it would take Middle Easterns (and you know WHO I'm talking about ) to enter our country via Mexico? I can tell you this...it wouldn't take long.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,986,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Well I have to agree with Ted Turner on this one... if the biggest problem we have is being invaded by guys in blue jeans and t-shirts looking for work then what are we all so worried about.
Also... who is going to do all the jobs that nobody else wants to do? I think there is a way to accommodate illegal aliens that would be to our benefit and theirs. They don't have to be illegal and could have cards to come into the states to work... why is that so hard to accomplish?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,358 times
Quote:
Also... who is going to do all the jobs that nobody else wants to do? I think there is a way to accommodate illegal aliens that would be to our benefit and theirs. They don't have to be illegal and could have cards to come into the states to work... why is that so hard to accomplish?
Can we accommodate all criminals in this way?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM

18 posts, read 33,376 times
So, by your idealogy, Celeste, anyone has a RIGHT to invade our country and expect an education, healthcare, etc. handed right to them. Does your declaration include Mexico allowing all the central and south Americans to invade their country? I have NO problem with anyone coming here LEGALLY. When my ancestors came here (the ones that weren't here before the Europeans) they had to have sponsors, jobs, not have ANY disease (a mere eye infection would get them sent back), they had to learn the language, and EARN citizenship. There was NO welfare, no goobermint handouts. Why should things be any different now? We have LAWS, people who break the laws need to suffer the consequences.

Your comparison to slaves is apples and oranges.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 AM

18 posts, read 33,376 times
Quote:
I am all for a LEGAL worker program. It's not that they do jobs that Americans won't do, it's they do the jobs that Americans won't do for less than minimum wage. It's the new "slavery." I would think those who are all for HUMAN rights, would be outraged at the coyotes who exploit these people to line their own pockets. What about the criminals who cross the border to rape and murder our citizens, then end up in prison that WE, the people, have to pay for? We have enough scumbags of our own without importing more.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,466 times
REDUX::::

REASON: Because I wanted to say it again:
MINOR CHANGE: add to last paragraph: "or little Mexico" and "or come on up"

"But, are we not talking about immigration, particularly illegal immigration?
Weren't choices made to leave one place, seeking a better life in another? And aren't there laws in place as to how one should make that move?
What percentage do you think is actually here legally and with intent to become an American citizen?
What is wrong with doing it legally? I realize that some cannot, but honestly, where do you cut this off? When do we CLOSE the door because our coffers are overburdened, the infrastructure is overburdened?
Where do we stop? At a certain number coming in or after a certain time period?

And what do we do with the homeless and those who live at or below the poverty level that were BORN HERE in the US?
Do we tell them that we need to cut their services and benefits because we now have so many from other countries and we have to share your benefits with them too?

I know this is an emotional topic, but honestly, I have watched this accrue since the very beginning, growing up and as an adult living in Southern California. When I left California in 1995, there was barely a handful of merchants on any given street that even attempted to learn and speak English. There were businesses going up on every corner, born of monies that the US Government provided to mostly Vietnamese, Laotians and Cambodians. It was not uncommon to have no idea how to pronounce the name of the store where you got your morning coffee and doughnuts, and in most places, you could drop off your drycleaning in the very same storefront as the doughnut counter, and pick up spare auto parts on your way out... or bring your bicycle to have it repaired, or buy jewelry, or purchase cheap swap meet quality stereo equipment, or ad nauseum. And you could be assured, without much question, that your friendly merchant who made no effort whatsover to speak English, was living in a finer house than you.....
Additionally, and let me premise this with a LOUD AND CLEAR disclaimer: I am talking about only SOME Asian immigrants when I say.... some of the worst, most violent, wanton, mindless, evil gang activity arises out of Asian gangs. They make the gangbangers look like choir boys.... bank on it...
I don't care if people want a better life, come on down... but don't come here because you're looking for little China, or the Asian ghetto.... This is the United States of America, and YES, I was born here and no, I don't feel guilty that I was and you weren't. There's a place for you here, but it's not free. I was born here and my place here is far from free, neither should yours be."

Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,466 times
I was born here, right here in the United States of America. I have prospered at times and at other times, have struggled to make ends meet (like NOW), **only** one single time, did I think to or desire to seek a handout from the government. I received a months' supply of food stamps, years ago, and - trust me - my tax obligation in ANY OTHER given year, MORE than reimbursed that cost to Los Angeles County.
And yes, it's true I don't have a family to feed, and it's just me, but I have many friends, some who have YOUNG children, both parents and children born here in the U.S. and the ONLY time any of them would ever even consider assistance from the government is if their children were on their DEATHBEDS and they had exhausted every single solitary avenue available to them.
So, yes, as an OLDER woman, having sought and completed a Bachelors' Degree in the 1980's when it became evident the workplace was changing, having filed tax returns every year since the 1960's and having accepted jobs all the way from minimum wage to salaried positions that could support 5 family members...... yes, I believe the United States has to close their borders. I believe that those who wish to prosper and share in what USED to be 'the American dream'... need to FIRST become AMERICANS.....
It is a very simple equation. It is not asking too much. It is not a difficult status to obtain. There are ceremonies conducted monthly in most states in the country, where 'foreigners', on Visa's, are sworn in as full American Citizens. The glee on their faces and in the room is beautiful to watch. To THOSE people, I say 'Welcome' and 'Thank You' for loving this country as much as I do, and for obeying it's laws....... JUST LIKE I DO......

Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 AM

55 posts, read 147,671 times
Every officer has different feelings towards each situation but the fact is the law is the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio