U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM

759 posts, read 3,415,837 times

Advertisements

Hello!! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in November; we're so excited! I've been doing lots of research and I have made the decision to use cloth diapers.
I'm looking for local resources that might help me out- I know there is a wealth of info online, but I'd really like to speak to someone face to face that can help me decide which brand to use.
Does anyone here use cloth diapers? Which brand? What helped you decide and where do you buy your diapers?
Do you know of any eco-friendly baby stores in the area?

Feel free to add anything else!!! I do plan on BF and making my own baby food (when it's time...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,391,418 times
Oddly enough, on our family website (because we're scattered all over the U.S.) my niece JUST YESTERDAY posted that she purchased cloth diapers online. She, for whatever reason, posted the sites where she purchased them. (Maybe she knew that her aunt would encounter someone the very next day on CDF that needed the info??? hahaha...)
I will tell you this, though... if they weren't the best, and economical, and overall functional AND ECO-FRIENDLY FOR SURE, my niece wouldn't have taken a second glance at them....

Bediboo: A hip boutique for mamas and kids!
bumGenius cloth diapers by Cotton Babies
(she adds with the post and the pics):::
"I got two 12-packs. I think I will wash every 2 days, then it will stretch out to 3 days... Two sizes of inserts come with each diaper. They are the most absorbant things I have ever seen -- they will be great for cleaning with in the future, after baby #2."

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 05-26-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,391,418 times
AND JUST TO ASSURE YOU ABOUT THESE, HERE IS GRAND-NEPHEW JACOB WHEN HE HEARD THE NEWS!!! lololol
Attached Thumbnails
Cloth Diapers? Eco-Family Friendly stores?-jacob-5-12-08.jpg  

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,020,369 times
dh and i had our 3rd, and last, child 2yrs ago --- the first 2 were girls and the last was a boy --- i never ever had a problem with leaks overnight with the girls and we used disposables with them --- but with our boy, leak city over night --- my friend in austin cloth diapered for the first year or so and she suggested i cloth my son overnight --- so i went out and bought what she used, Fuzzi Bunz ---

i bought them from Sweet Repeats, a resale shop here in town --- the Fuzzi's she sells are direct from the manufacturer, so they are not 2nd hand --- it is hard to find locations here in town that sell cloth diapers, really you need to order them from online --- i only used the cloth diapers for 1 month, overnight only --- my son still leaked out of them, with double inserts, so it wasn't worth the extra washing i was going thru ...

i am going to DM you a website that i belong to for pregnant moms, it has a whole board dedicated to cloth diapering --- the women there are a wealth of information and they are very nice, you can learn more than you ever wanted to know about cloth diapering...

good luck and congrats on your first baby!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,907,994 times
I used diaper services for both my babies 20-25 years ago. Here's an option you might want to look at.

Diaper Service

Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 31,559,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I used diaper services for both my babies 20-25 years ago. Here's an option you might want to look at.

Diaper Service
This is much more reasonable than one would think! Great idea....

And I love PGR's shameless plug!! Cute baby!! And he looks very happy in those cloth diapers!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:47 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,469,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
This is much more reasonable than one would think! Great idea....

And I love PGR's shameless plug!! Cute baby!! And he looks very happy in those cloth diapers!
Naahhh...he's smiling 'cuz of a nice little present he left his mommy.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,481,564 times
Lauren,
We've been cloth diapering since DD was born. Never really considered otherwise.

I never found any brick-and-mortar stores in SA which sold decent diapers. I bought all mine online. 99% of the time we use the old fashioned chinese pre-folds with wraps (either prowraps or whisperwraps). At night we use a liner that's made of terry on one side and some wicking fabric on the other. We've rarely had a leakage problem, and if we did it was because she wasn't fitting that wrap anymore. Oddly, at certain times the whisperwraps fit better and at others the prowraps fit better.

I very briefly looked at the newer All-in-ones but once I saw the price didn't even consider it. However, I did end up making some. I bought the fabric pre-cut online (since I can sew, it's the cutting that's a real PITA for me) which brought the price down substantially. I like these for when we're out and about, they're a little easier to deal with as they are just like disposables. However I find the prefolds + wraps fairly simple as well, just a tiny bit more effort.

We have an HE front loader and we line dry everything (no dryer), and have found no significant increase in water usage in the 22 months with the added laundry.

DM me and I'll give you all the websites I've used to buy supplies.

As for eco-friendly stores in SA for baby stuff, I can't help you there. We've not been able to find much. Mostly we stay eco-friendly by re-using stuff and limiting what we buy. We've had to buy a few new objects, but almost everything we have are hand-me downs or garage sale finds. We have skipped a ton of the 'must haves' and managed just fine.

Foodwise, Whole Foods and CM and Sun Harvest all sell organic baby food, but we just made all our own. The little one turned her nose up at jarred food the few times we tried.

Also, if you want to see these diapers IRL, DM me. I can show them to you. We had a girls night recently which turned into a Cloth Diaper 101 session after much wine

And though you didn't ask, it's also hard to find slings in stores. I have seen a few, but not many and certainly not representative of the enormous options out there. The Lactation Center at Methodist Hospital Admin building on Fredericksburg has one or two kinds. I also have 2, if you want to try them out, let me know. Slings are hard because there are SO Many out there, and it really depends on the body type and comfort level of the person to decide which is best. There's a group of midwives who occasionally host sling-wearing events, to try them all on. If you're interested, I'll get some info for you (it's mostly homebirthers on the group, but you don't have to homebirth to participate).

And congratulations! If you find any useful stores in SA, please let me know. It's hard to buy online sometimes, not knowing what to expect.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,481,564 times
Also - I suppose you know there's an eco-friendly family board on that 'other' forum we use Tons of great info.

Oh, and I also bought my cloth wipes online. I was going to make them but after too long of not getting around to it and using disposable, I finally bought some. I'll give you all the links

One more thing - most of these online sources for cloth diapering supplies are stay-at-home moms trying to make some money rather than big businesses. As such, some are excellent and others not so good, so it helps to check out the feedback on the diapering sites. If I can't buy local, at least I can support an individual rather than a large corporation I guess.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-26-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 PM

790 posts, read 3,646,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Also - I suppose you know there's an eco-friendly family board on that 'other' forum we use Tons of great info.
What? You mean everyone's been talking somewhere else and I've been in the dark this whole time? Can you even give me a hint without alerting the mod-police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio