U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
i hope people who are very vocal on hating super target, super walmart, best buy, bed bath, etc... really mean it and not patronize any products/items at all... i wanna see where they end up shopping ...

That's the problem - the community is over-run by these stores so there's not much left.

I do avoid many of the big box stores and buy local as much as possible, but sometimes there are no other options when in need. Similarly, I tend not to go to chain restaurants if the choice is entirely up to me (sometimes I'm dragged in by a work trip).

I don't hate most of them (except Walmart), but I really don't find them the be-all and end all of civilization. My desire to live in a neighborhood is not defined by how many Walmarts and Super Targets are in the vicinity, but by the make-up of the neighborhood and the ability to walk to a variety of attractions - and, importantly to me, those attractions/amenities that are unique to the city. If I can find it anywhere I go in the US, it's not that appealing to me. In fact, the presence of a chain fast-food place is enough to make me want to stay away. I loved the fact that when I lived in New Haven, CT, there were NO fast-food chains within the city's core. There were a ton of independent restaurants, but no McD, BK, etc. It was wonderful!

I *like* local stores, and am willing to pay a bit extra to patronize them as much as possible. The problem is we have so few left in SA. I simply minimize shopping to basic necessities, like groceries. I really don't need to buy much at any of the big box stores - except the home stores, since we're restoring this house, but again, we try to go to places that have recycled/reused products as much as possible. Doesn't always work, and we often end up at HD or Lowes because that's the only place that sells something we need, but we have gotten a lot of the materials for this house at local places.

In general I say different strokes for different folks and all that. However, our choices do impact the larger society - namely, the building of suburbs really does use up a vast amount of resources, from the building materials to the destruction of natural habitats (erosion is a problem in many areas) to the use of water to the use of gas to commute. Obviously not all those things apply to all - some new builds are done with the environment in mind, and some don't commute, but these are all factors to consider in how we choose to live. How does my choice of lifestyle impact society as a whole? Is my personal choice the best for all? No. And I wouldn't force anyone to live in any particular way, but I do think the discussion about how we as a community to choose to expand and build is a valid one, and we need to reconsider a few things.

As for 1604 not being in the 'burbs, I respectfully disagree. SA is unique in that it annexes so much area, that the actual city limits are huge. I think most would agree that outside 1604 is not part of the 'urban core' of the city.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-28-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 857,336 times
Chaka,

Buying local is nice idea, but it is rather pointless. Even if you buy stuff from local merchant, chances are their stuff comes from out of town. Sure you can buy the same widget at local store as a big box store, but it will cost you more and probably cost more energy to get there. If you are after service, then a local store will no doubt beat the big box stores there.

Trade allows our markets to be efficient, so there is little reason to fight it.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,713,059 times
I guess this is mostly opinion, as Chaka's was. I like having huge box stores all around us. Not really interested in walking to local shops (as their are prices, non monetary, that we are not willing to pay to live where walking is common.)
I like being able to go into a huge box store and getting virtually everything I need in one shot. Absolutely love that! We don't have much need for the home stores, as our home is fairly new and doesn't need much. When we want something done to/around the house, I prefer to pay someone else to handle it (if it's an easier job, I'll have a neighborhood youngster do it). I'm just not into that kind of thing. I feel like I'm assisting the economy by giving someone else some work anyway.
I don't hate anything, or anyone...especially a store.
As far as restaurants go, we're pretty eclectic. I went out for Persian food just tonight. Sometimes we eat at chains, sometimes we don't. We don't go out of our way to avoid chain vs non-chain. We live a very stress-free life.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 PM

cwh - service is an enormous issue for me. And I like to keep local business in business. I'd rather put money in their pockets than a faceless box store.

But like I said, I really don't *need* to go to places like Walmart or Target except on rare occasions, because I don't buy stuff just to have more stuff. There's very little we need. Groceries I do need to buy. And lately I've been buying landscaping/gardening type things - plants, soil, etc, but try to do most of that with the locals (eg Fannicks). Or, for example, going to Architectural Warehouse (I think that's it's name, on the near east side on Dawson St) for a "new" knob/door/window rather than HD. These are not new, but rather recycled from old houses mostly torn down.

I've been fortunate to live in some other US cities that did have many more local options for supplies. I do miss that here. I patronize my neighborhood businesses a great deal.Now, if I can just convince someone to open up a bookstore here (or someone to give me $$$ to do so...I'd be happy!)

Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
As far as restaurants go, we're pretty eclectic. I went out for Persian food just tonight. Sometimes we eat at chains, sometimes we don't. We don't go out of our way to avoid chain vs non-chain. We live a very stress-free life.
Just so you know, enjoying local eateries isn't particularly stressful

My point was that the presence of fast food places is not really a selling point for those who like urban centers, typically. I'm not going to run out to Stone Oak because it has the most McDonalds....

Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

My point was that the presence of fast food places is not really a selling point for those who like urban centers, typically. I'm not going to run out to Stone Oak because it has the most McDonalds....
Maybe you misunderstood my point. No reason to be defensive. There is no right or wrong.I just stated that we live a very stress free life...didn't imply anything.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 857,336 times
Quote:

Yes there are many very good local eateries. Most of my favorite eateries are local. But beyond that, there is only so much you can do by buying local....

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood my point. No reason to be defensive. there is no right or wrong.I just stated that we live a very stress free life...didn't imply anything.
No, I understood perfectly. No need for you to read too much into mine

Alas, my work life IS stressful, but my food choices are not, thanks to living where we live

Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
No, I understood perfectly. No need for you to read too much into mine

Alas, my work life IS stressful, but my food choices are not
Sorry for the stress you undergo at work.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the stress you undergo at work.
Thanks. Saving the world can be hard sometimes, but someone's gotta do it, huh?

(i am only up at this hour because I'm a bit wired from an 18 hour work day which involved a much too long drive and needed some caffeine to get me through it, now I can't sleep....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio