U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,117 times

Advertisements

we have been on the program for over 2yrs now --- it's no big deal --- i don't feel like big brother is controlling us, but i have never been one of those people that look over their shoulders thinking someone is always trying to gain control ---

cps did just like the article talks --- they came out and installed the thermostat free of charge --- to be honest, we have never really noticed a difference --- you can see when cps has shut it down as it reads on the thermostat "peak saving" --- it really is just for 10 mins but i have never noticed it every 30mins --- infact, it really is more like every couple of hours or so --- they do not mess with your unit on the weekends or holidays and you have the option of choosing what days you do not want them to turn off your unit --- for example, if you are having a party or something you can call cps and tell them you don't want your unit to be on the program for that day --- but really, they only do this M-F from 3-7 and parties are usually on the weekends, so i have never had to call cps to opt out for a day ---

i have noticed a difference in my bills --- about 10-15% --- not huge, but it is still a savings ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,196,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
we have been on the program for over 2yrs now --- it's no big deal --- i don't feel like big brother is controlling us, but i have never been one of those people that look over their shoulders thinking someone is always trying to gain control ---

cps did just like the article talks --- they came out and installed the thermostat free of charge --- to be honest, we have never really noticed a difference --- you can see when cps has shut it down as it reads on the thermostat "peak saving" --- it really is just for 10 mins but i have never noticed it every 30mins --- infact, it really is more like every couple of hours or so --- they do not mess with your unit on the weekends or holidays and you have the option of choosing what days you do not want them to turn off your unit --- for example, if you are having a party or something you can call cps and tell them you don't want your unit to be on the program for that day --- but really, they only do this M-F from 3-7 and parties are usually on the weekends, so i have never had to call cps to opt out for a day ---

i have noticed a difference in my bills --- about 10-15% --- not huge, but it is still a savings ---
I got about that much of savings by going to a programable thermostat...and never had a city/government agency telling me what to do.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times
That seems like a significant savings to me. 10% off a $200 bill is $20--half a tank of gas!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM

sorry --- i don't feel like i am having anyone tell me what to do --- i feel more like i am helping the city out to conserve energy --- our part of the city was going thru some brownouts about 3 or 4yrs ago, or atleast my neighborhood was --- the lights kept dimming and coming back during the peak summer times --- i just kind of felt like i was doing my part to help by doing this --- but again, i've never been the "omg, the gvt is telling me what to do" type of person ---

Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
sorry --- i don't feel like i am having anyone tell me what to do --- i feel more like i am helping the city out to conserve energy --- our part of the city was going thru some brownouts about 3 or 4yrs ago, or atleast my neighborhood was --- the lights kept dimming and coming back during the peak summer times --- i just kind of felt like i was doing my part to help by doing this --- but again, i've never been the "omg, the gvt is telling me what to do" type of person ---
I think you are missing the point. If you purchase a programable thermostat - you could adjust the unit to be most efficient without them controlling it. Also - I find that most people are not willing to keep their house over 76 degrees. We keep ours at 78 degrees to save electricity. Factor in the programable thermostat and we save lots of money...without gvt intervention.

My point is simply that there are ways to save money on your electric bill without CPS having a service interuptor placed on your system.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM

no, i see your point, i just don't agree with it --- my programmable thermostat was free by enrolling in this program, which i chose to do on my own, i was not forced to do it --- we also keep our house at 77-78 degrees --- again, i saw it as a way to help, not as a way to be governed by CPS ---

yes, i could have bought my own thermostat, but i don't know when the peak times are when CPS may be needing some help --- so me offereing up 10mins out of our a/c usage, which makes no difference at all, seriously, we do not even notice when it is shut off...but by us offereing up 10mins of our a/c usage, well, not only am i saving on my electricity bill, but i am helping out CPS when they need it most ---

it's okay, we can agree to disagree --- you see it as governing, i see it as helping --- no biggie ---

Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,383,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I think you are missing the point. If you purchase a programable thermostat - you could adjust the unit to be most efficient without them controlling it. Also - I find that most people are not willing to keep their house over 76 degrees. We keep ours at 78 degrees to save electricity. .
I know we're not most people but ours stays at 80F when we're home (with a few exceptions) and leave it at 85F when we're out - used to turn it off, but this keeps it from being insanely hot inside when we return, since we have to keep all the windows closed. When we could leave all the windows open in our old house, it was always comfortable at the end of the day w/no a/c.

A number of our friends in SA have their's at 80F, or have none at all.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I know we're not most people but ours stays at 80F when we're home (with a few exceptions) and leave it at 85F when we're out - used to turn it off, but this keeps it from being insanely hot inside when we return, since we have to keep all the windows closed. When we could leave all the windows open in our old house, it was always comfortable at the end of the day w/no a/c.

A number of our friends in SA have their's at 80F, or have none at all.
We keep ours at 78 on normal days...but when the temp hits 100 we move it up to 79, sometimes 80 to keep from running the unit continually. I try to keep a 20 degree buffer on the really hot days. It is amazing , at our last house our electric bill was nearly half that of my neighbors who kept their house at 74 degrees. I am just not willing to spend that kind of money for just a few degrees. Running ceiling fans helps a lot as well.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:50 PM

933 posts, read 1,816,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
We keep ours at 78 on normal days...but when the temp hits 100 we move it up to 79, sometimes 80 to keep from running the unit continually. I try to keep a 20 degree buffer on the really hot days. It is amazing , at our last house our electric bill was nearly half that of my neighbors who kept their house at 74 degrees. I am just not willing to spend that kind of money for just a few degrees. Running ceiling fans helps a lot as well.
I agree. My thermostat has been set at 79 for the last 5 days or so...though usually it is at 78. I like to put food on the table so I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort. I just wish that the temperature would dip down into the 60s at night once in awhile so I can get some fresh cool air in. But looks like I will not see that again until December-ish.

The Sacramento municipal utility had a peak saver program where they would credit you $5/month for participating and give you a bit of a credit on your bill for each day/time they cycled your a/c.

I did enjoy the $5 credit (which went to pay for the transmission charge) but in my two years or so with the program, I never had my air cycled.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 28,664 times
Default Question for the experienced

I had the programmable thermostat installed a few months ago. I was going to buy one and figured this way I'd get it free, and the idea of them cycling the unit at times didn't bother me. Friends who had it said IF they had ever been cycled they didn't know it.

Today around 6pm I noticed it was getting warm in the house and the thermometer showed 4 degrees above the setting. I could tell the fan was on, but I checked and the outside unit wasn't going. In a bit it turned on, but then went off again (I don't know if it was a half hour or not since I was in panic mode already - we were without AC for 8 days last August - don't ask...).

I went out and took the cover off the AC unit and pressed the restart button and nothing happened immediately, but then the unit turned on a few minutes later - only to shut off again and the temp in the house remained 4 degrees above the set temp.

Assuming my extremely old AC unit was acting up again I assumed the worst and called our home shield company to set up a repair call - and they are supposed to call me tomorrow.

In the meantime - just after 7pm the unit turned on and has been running ever since trying to get the house to the right temp. That's when it dawned on me that possibly CPS had shut me down during those times.

I found this forum just now and saw where someone posted that you can tell if they are doing that by seeing "peak saver" on the thermostat. If it was on there I didn't see it - but I wasn't really looking.

Is it obvious? Is there a way to tell if they cycled you?

I'll call the Peak Saver people in the morning assuming the AC is still working then (fingers crossed) to see if I need to cancel the repair call.

Any advice you experts can give would be appreciated :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio