U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you can always do a few of each. I personally like a yard with several trees instead of just one. I'm definitely glad I have a big old giant live oak in my backyard though.
We have one in the back and one in the front. They are great for shade, but they are a lot of work! We're really loving ours now, but from November through March-April, they make us tired.

I do have an acorn-sprouting problem in the backyard, but I am hoping to get it under control some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
oh yeah, the leaves and acorns definitely make for some work, but they supposedly add about $10K to the value of a house and definitely make a split decision go in your favor if you have at least one.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 PM

790 posts, read 3,615,857 times
I can vouch for the fast-growing crepe myrtle - I have 4 in my front yard that were mere twigs just 8 months ago and now they're big bushes (5 ft tall x 3 ft wide each).

However, I am in need of a different solution and hope all you tree-encyclopedias have some suggestions. Just bought a house directly across the street from a parking lot enclosed with 10 foot chain-link fencing topped with 2 feet of razor wire (it's a post office and they park the trucks in there). I've been given permission by the P.O. to plant trees on the right of way to camouflage the fence/trucks and am looking for suggestions on tree types. Here are the requirements:
  • Fast growing (I don't want to have to look at that fence any longer than necessary)
  • Will not grow taller than 16-20 feet (overhead power lines)
  • Will be wide/bushy at the bottom as well as the top (to hide as much fence as possible)
  • Evergreen, or at least offer some camouflage in winter
  • Can be easily mowed around, or eliminate the need for mowing altogether
  • Has roots that grow deep instead of spreading (P.O. doesn't want the sidewalk getting screwed up)
No limit on the number of trees I can plant, I just need to specify what I want. Any recommendations? Am I better off with bushes? Other suggestions? I'm a horticultural dunce so any feedback is appreciated!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 AM

95 posts, read 381,494 times
I had the "Dynamite" crepe myrtle in Oklahoma and it was absolutely gorgeous when blooming. Intense red! Hearty as they come.

As for the privit type hedge CelesteDF is looking for -- have you checked in to those red-tipped-leaf shrubs? They're green with red tips. I'm sorry I cannot remember what they're called. They grow really fast, are dense and can be shaped as trees or shrubs.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
I think they are red tip pittosporum. Here is a good site to view to see if this is what you were looking for:

Shrubs_O-P

Hope this helps!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42JetSet View Post
I had the "Dynamite" crepe myrtle in Oklahoma and it was absolutely gorgeous when blooming. Intense red! Hearty as they come.

As for the privit type hedge CelesteDF is looking for -- have you checked in to those red-tipped-leaf shrubs? They're green with red tips. I'm sorry I cannot remember what they're called. They grow really fast, are dense and can be shaped as trees or shrubs.
They might be red tip photinias.
They're very common here, and the red is brilliant when the sun hits just right. We have them along our driveway, but they're just babies yet.
http://www.yardmastersinc.com/shrub_images/Redtipp_S.png (broken link)

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 AM

134 posts, read 459,595 times
The red tips grow fast we planted them to hide our pool equipment at another house. We planted them at 3ft high & by the following year were to the lowest part of the roofline.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We have one in the back and one in the front. They are great for shade, but they are a lot of work! We're really loving ours now, but from November through March-April, they make us tired.

I do have an acorn-sprouting problem in the backyard, but I am hoping to get it under control some day.
Tell me about it. I have 34 oak trees in my yard and they are big trees. I am constantly fighting oak leaves but they are very pretty. Let me know when you figure out the solution to those oak sprouts.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 AM

Oh I will--someone said they die when you mow them? We don't mow in the back--it's mostly brick, dirt, and tiny oak trees--my dh just weed eats them, but they aren't dying. It took me forever before it even dawned on me what it was--d'oh! But now that I know, they haunt my dreams!

We should rake more often in the winter, but it's just pure misery. We fill up bag after bag after bag......but it sure is a beautiful piece of nature right now!!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,821,091 times
I started to post here and then realized you are in Texas, so I don't know if my NC tree knowledge would apply, but if you have these trees down there here goes.
Maple trees
Persimmon
Wild cherry
Pine
Those crepe murtles must grow everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio