Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM

38 posts, read 157,511 times

Advertisements

Does any one know someone or business that makes unusual cakes. I've been to The Cake Shop at Wurzbach/I10, but found them a little pricy. Any suggestions on a local baker? I love the cakes with the fondant frosting. I'm looking for a graduation and birthday party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM

53 posts, read 164,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak10 View Post
Does any one know someone or business that makes unusual cakes. I've been to The Cake Shop at Wurzbach/I10, but found them a little pricy. Any suggestions on a local baker? I love the cakes with the fondant frosting. I'm looking for a graduation and birthday party.
Go to Lucy's...great cakes!!!! My family has used Lucy's since 1992.

San Antonio Cakes for All Occasions: Birthday Cakes, Wedding Cakes, Groom Cakes, Shower Cakes, Graduation Cakes, Military Cakes, Photo Cakes

J

Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
i was going to recommend lucy's also --- we love lucy's and i get almost all our cakes there --- lucy's is awesome!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 PM

134 posts, read 502,982 times
Nadlers Bakery on Blanco Rd off 1604 inside loop. Delicious cakes! Will even copy your invitation.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Make that 3 votes for Lucy's...an excellent product for sure.

I also like the Tres Leches cake at Sam's club...that is gooooooodddddddddd!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
My oldest daughter used to do cakes and made some pretty elaborate ones. I will tell you, it takes a LOT of time to make something unusual, intricate, different. She made a cake for her good friend (now husband) for his 21st birthday. It was a 3 dimensional paintball marker, with sour balls as the paintballs. Really nice. It took over 8 hours to bake and decorate!!! And cost of supplies was well into $40. It's one thing she/we would NEVER do as a business. People aren't willing to pay for how much time you put into it. Just an FYI, for when you're pricing the cakes. Consider how much time is put in to what you want. I didn't see any of the prices for The Cake Shop, but they had some gorgeous cakes on their website!! (OH! And btw, fondant is NOT easy to work with! )

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I don't know where to get an unusual cake, but I just want it on the record that the thread title made me giggle.

I've made some unusual cakes, but not on purpose. And I've eaten an unusual brownie.....many, many moons ago.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
I have got the place for you! The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe on Ave B off Broadway near the Witte Museum. 826-7877. I just discovered this place and the dessert cakes looked awesome and were completely unusual not to mention all homemade with fresh ingredients. Unfortunately I was unable to try anything because some lady came in and bought up every piece of cake/pie left for a party before I got an opportunity to finish my meal and order dessert. But I am on a mission to go back at my next opportunity and test every unusual piece of cake that I can handle. The cakes looked scrumptious and the icing was homemade whipped cream. If the cakes are as good as the homemade meals which are also unusual... well I just can't wait.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
Quote:
Call me ignorant but what is fondant and where is Lucy's?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Fondant is a type of icing that is totally smooth. It's actually rolled out (not unlike sugar cookie dough) and then placed over the cake and smoothed. You can also use it to make all kinds of cool shapes and stuff. And it tastes nasty! (There's some pretty good examples if you google image search it.)

Here's Lucy's locations;
http://www.lucycakeshop.com/san-antonio-cake-shops.htm

They're GREAT!! We used to get a lot of our supplies there, especially yummy pre-made icing, back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio