Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 16,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I haven't been fortunate enough to go to Hawaii--what's special about the food? I honestly don't know much about their cuisine.
Even though I am only a kotonk (parents from Hilo and Honomu but popped out on the mainland), I'm going to field this one. Locals can correct me.

We aren't talking about five star fusion cuisine that shows up on fancy cooking shows. This is a true melting pot of food from different cultures. Very unique and ALL of it is tasty! It's difficult to describe and sometimes the descriptions could turn some people off! What? Spam-Moosoo-what? Lomi-lomi-lau-lau? Wrapped in what?

It's more than the food. The people surrounding the food are warm and friendly. Something you share with family and friends, very casual. Add the setting of Hawaiian perfect weather, beautiful scenery, laid back people (none of that gassa-gassa b.s.), music from C&K, Kalapana.....

It's more than just food. Try it, if you don't like it, fine. Just more for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Great discription....it is soooo hard to explain Sapphire.

I would call it Korean/Japanese/Thai/Samoa all wrapped up with love and warm feelings!!!

Lots of BBQ (grilled) types of meats in sweet and savory sauces with rice and a mac salad that ONLY Hawaii knows how to do right. I HATE mac salad...but LOVE Hawaiian kind.

Good honest food to be enjoyed without worry about what you are wearing or where you come from...

and for Hawaiian cooking at home...man I would KILL to get my hands on a box of May's Teri Burgers right now!!!

A little Brother Iz music and life is gooooooooood!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Sounds great! And this is the Hawaiian musician I love! Israel Kamakawiwo'ole--can't say his name to save my life, but love his music, and may he rest in peace, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I love Thai food, the spicier the better, so this sounds really good. Can't go wrong with grilled meat, either!

So when is this place going to be open????

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I don't know but sure sounds like a girls night out to me!!!!

We are about due again, right???

Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 PM

162 posts, read 599,472 times
Check out The Beach Hawaiian Restaurant at Spring Branch, TX Welcome to My Aloha Texas!

Bruddah Bill graduated from Kaimuki High

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT LADAT-LADAT View Post
Eh, where da Beach stay? C'mon no make ladat, where stay, I like go eat ono kine food.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 17,526 times
Just came back from Vegas and WOW! was SUPAH NASTY HOT!! Don't go to Vegas in August. Went eat plenty local food, but was dissappointed with a few L&L places we went. Da new Aloha BBQ food was ono. Got some food from Miles Hawaiian Bakery, Long John and Custard pie ladat. Da lau lau and mac salad was too salty.

Eh, ha come nobdy told me I was suppose to learn to speak spanish when u go to Disney Land or California period, nothing but latinos.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
We told you...you just didn't listen.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM

140 posts, read 508,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
Check out The Beach Hawaiian Restaurant at Spring Branch, TX Welcome to My Aloha Texas!

Bruddah Bill graduated from Kaimuki High

Me too! Yay Bulldogs! MMmm Hawaii I miss the food so much. the beach even more!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,849 times
Default Missing the islands!

I just miss it all. The beach, the food, the people, the surf, the rain, the soft island breeze caressing you like a lover! It's all good! Would like to know how to make hawaiian stlye macaroni salad! You are right that it is not like american kind. This guy I worked with used to make it and put tuna fish in his. It was so good!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM

6 posts, read 17,526 times
i always put tuna in when i make hawaiian mac, now i put king crab inside too, da baggah mo ono!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio