Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a first-hand opinion of Atlanta summer weather vs. SA. We are thinking of moving to Atlanta in a few years. I hear they have four seasons and shorter summers?

Are their summers as miserable as ours? Humidity?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,828 times
I grew up in that area, but it's been quite some time since I lived there. However, keeping up with family, and from what I recall the summers in Atlanta are shorter. They do typically have more of a spring and fall, but the summers can be just as brutal as here temperature-wise.
Growing up in Ga, I always laughed at folks when they say San Antonio is humid. I think it's more temperate, waffling between humid and dry depending on the way the wind is blowing. Atlanta also gets WAY more rain, if you don't count the dry spell last year. The thunderstorms here are lound and unproductive. In Atlanta they are WET!!
Winters are wet, too. Meaning more ice/snow than what you see here.

Oh, and there's a whole 'nuther set of allergens but at least theres no Mountain Cedar there! (I know, not weather related...).

Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I grew up in that area, but it's been quite some time since I lived there. However, keeping up with family, and from what I recall the summers in Atlanta are shorter. They do typically have more of a spring and fall, but the summers can be just as brutal as here temperature-wise.
Growing up in Ga, I always laughed at folks when they say San Antonio is humid. I think it's more temperate, waffling between humid and dry depending on the way the wind is blowing. Atlanta also gets WAY more rain, if you don't count the dry spell last year. The thunderstorms here are lound and unproductive. In Atlanta they are WET!!
Winters are wet, too. Meaning more ice/snow than what you see here.

Oh, and there's a whole 'nuther set of allergens but at least theres no Mountain Cedar there! (I know, not weather related...).

Hope that helps.

Thanks. My kids have never seen snow. They'd like that! More rain means less worrying about Xeriscaping, right?

As for allergens, mine are mold, dust, and cockroaches. Yes, weird.. but I'm probably screwed no matter where I live. Oh, do they have big flying roaches in GA??? Please say no! One of those suckers came in my screen door the other night and flew into my face and I've been scarred for life!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 PM

45 posts, read 322,097 times
They drive alot faster in Atlanta than San Antonio. I-285 and GA-400 - you better stay to the right if you are driving below 75mph.

Atlanta gets icy precip in the winter with some infrequent snow.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Oh, do they have big flying roaches in GA??? Please say no!

uhhh, no.

really, I only encountered them when visiting family that lived in the boonies. They seem to love forested areas more than high-traffic neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
I lived in GA one hour west of Atlanta for 3 years growing up. Winters are a bit colder with the VERY occasional snow (ice is more common). You'll see more "winter" if you live farther up north closer to the TN/NC border. Summers are a bit shorter but just as hot/humid. They do have actual spring and fall seasons - I loved watching the trees turn color in the fall. Regarding the flying roaches, I saw more of them in FL but, yes, they've got 'em in GA too. Eewww... I'd be scarred for life too.

Plus, GA is the land of red clay. If you want white socks, get ready to lay in a supply of bleach. Most locals just don't bother... it's really a futile attempt. My brother still has old rust-colored tube socks in his drawer that he keeps for grungy work days because they will never ever be white again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio