U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 PM

777 posts, read 1,599,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I hate speed bumps too... very annoying.
Add me to this list as well...really people does it matter if the dog is run over going 40 instead of 30? The results aren't going to be pretty either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,782,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Hi Scuba Steve. What is a traffic circle?

I could google it but I'm lazy.
Studies have shown that traffic circles slow people down in neighborhoods while still allowing emergency vehicles to travel a bit quicker than they could with speed humps.

An article on traffic circles in residential areas:
Neighborhood Traffic Calming: Seattle's Traffic Circle Program

Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 8 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,069,269 times
THAT looks like an accident just waiting to happen here. That tree in the middle is going to be someone's new grill piece. We like our booze too much.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 PM

529 posts, read 1,868,402 times
Ooo! Good point. In my last neighborhood. The street was real bendy and the speed limit was 30 MPH which is way to fast for that type street but people went much faster. In the 6 years that I lived there:
Someone took out a light pole twice
Somone took out a gang of mailboxes
Someone destroyed 2 fences
Those are just the ones that I know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
I'm with you...but wanted to add that there have been a lot of incidents of people speeding through areas, lose control of their vehicle and end up crashed in someone's house or through their back fence. So keeping my kids in my fenced yard is still a hazard because of some idiot who thinks they are going to get home so much faster doing 50 mph through a residential area.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,779,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Add me to this list as well...really people does it matter if the dog is run over going 40 instead of 30? The results aren't going to be pretty either way.
You're freakin' kidding, right?!!! Dumba$$ that ran over my neighbor's dog (with BOTH the front and back tires ~ I saw the whole morbid thing, as did my son!! ) was going MUCH faster than 40! And had it been a child innocently crossing the street ~ the child would be DEAD!!! D. E. A. D.!!! Dead!! Run over by a 2-tone dark blue/beige Ford F-250 diesel with Ranch hand on the front and tool box in the bed!!! Point is, with speed bumps installed correctly, it's not real ..... comfortable to ever GET to 40 (or more). If idiotic a$$holes could just keep their speeds down in residential areas, then speed bumps wouldn't be needed! So stop blaming it on the people who are concerned for LIFE and blame it on the jerks that AREN'T concerned for life!!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM

777 posts, read 1,599,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
You're freakin' kidding, right?!!! Dumba$$ that ran over my neighbor's dog (with BOTH the front and back tires ~ I saw the whole morbid thing, as did my son!! ) was going MUCH faster than 40! And had it been a child innocently crossing the street ~ the child would be DEAD!!! D. E. A. D.!!! Dead!! Run over by a 2-tone dark blue/beige Ford F-250 diesel with Ranch hand on the front and tool box in the bed!!! Point is, with speed bumps installed correctly, it's not real ..... comfortable to ever GET to 40 (or more). If idiotic a$$holes could just keep their speeds down in residential areas, then speed bumps wouldn't be needed! So stop blaming it on the people who are concerned for LIFE and blame it on the jerks that AREN'T concerned for life!!!!!
Yes i was just kidding. You are right that if people would just slow down in residential areas everything would be fine. My problem is with speed bumps that will wreck you're suspension (especially my mustang) if you dont slow down to 2 mph and anger everyone behind you in their f350. The best kind are the big and wide bumps that you need to slow down for but don't require practically stopping to save your car. There are some on a cut-through residential street by north star mall (marquis i think) and those work fine.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM

OH! I KNOW how much they SUCK on some cars!! Otherhalf has a lowered tC with ground effects. It's gotta go over even the big wide ones at like 2mph. I figure, everyone behind me can just "hold their horses". (But I know what ya mean!!! )

It really does suck that it affects everyone, but again, it's the ones that feel like they are "special" and too important to drive at a reasonable rate of speed (which, btw, I think that 30mph in residential areas is WAY too high!) that cause homeowners to petition for the darned things.

So if everyone would start griping at the speeders instead of the homeowners, maybe the speed bumps wouldn't be needed.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,428,233 times
Interesting discussion. We've just been debating whether we want to petition for speed bumps or a stop sign at our corner.

It's actually a small street which doesn't go anywhere - it dead ends a few blocks down at the highway, but for some reason people still use it like it's the autobahn. Ok, slight exaggeration, but they easily fly at 40-50mph. It's extremely dangerous, esp. as there are no sidewalks.

Yeah, we try to keep our kid in our fenced yard, but what about when we want to walk next door? Our only option is on the street. No matter how much we tell kids to not play in the street, I don't think they deserve to get hit because someone can't slow down to 25 mph (which is easier to stop). The worst culprit was VIA - not its normal route, but while doing road construction was re-routed on our street. The buses routinely flew by at 45-50mph. No amount of reporting them to VIA or COSA made a difference.

I was hoping putting in a stop sign on our corner would help. I don't like the idea of speed bumps, and figure they'd get nixed by the city anyway.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,428,233 times
I LOVE roundabouts!!! We need them everywhere in this city. Not just in residential areas to slow people down, but in just about every larger strip mall/shopping center, and all along Bandera Rd.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 PM

OH! Chaka, you wanna know some of the WORST offenders in our neighborhood??? The school bus drivers!!!! I've called NISD bus yards several times to complain about the HS bus driver! There's NO WAY he could slow that bus down in time to avoid hitting somebody! And our neighborhood is full of twists, turns, hedges obstructing the view of oncoming traffic, etc. You "look both ways" and head across the street........ BAM!!

(I gotta stay outta this thread. Blood pressure and all.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio