U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM

425 posts, read 513,217 times

Advertisements

We all have our reasons for liking or disliking speed bumps. There are good reasons for both sides. But I think it is very situational as to where they are placed. Thats why there are traffic survery requirements.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
I don't know if they make children safer or not.

What I do know is that they increase the response time of emergency vehicles because they have to practically stop when going over them. One bump won't matter probably, but you better hope there aren't a bunch between you and the fire station if you need them right away.

Also, if people want to speed, they're not going to let a speed bump stop them. They either gun it to go over the bump faster, or the try and drive in the opposite lane to get a wheel off of the bump while going over, or many just gun it as soon as they're past it.

As you mentioned, there are crosswalks, but people still park in them. Perhaps the solution isn't more traffic control devices, but better education and enforcement?

Has anyone called the non emergency number when there's a car parked in the no parking zone?
Have you called when you see people speeding? I notice you mention that the cops only come when "some other parent" calls.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,327 times
Pretty sure you can't install them on public streets unless city does it. My street would do it for sure if it was allowed. We've got a bunch if idiots who speed down our street cutting the corner to the point they practically touch the curb. Our "study" lasted one whole day then they pulled the sensors. We've been leaving a car parked in front of the house because people slow down to go around it rather than fly blindly around the corner.

If you're in a gated neighborhood the streets are maintained by HOA and you have more day. Without gates it won't helping. Our HOA has petitioned more than once to no avail.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepyepyep View Post
For those kvetching about how much you hate speed bumps...oh boo hoo, go cry into your pillow. Your car might get a bit of damage to the shocks and struts because you're failing to slow down enough for a speed bump. Shocks and struts are replaceable, a child's life is not. Honestly who cares about your stupid car? Unless it's a well maintained classic, it's losing value every minute you own it. Speed bumps just might slow a few reckless drivers down enough to keep some children safe.

It literally took the death of a child in my neighborhood to get the city to install speed bumps on a single road in the neighborhood. We could use them in all of our streets, but I don't think we'll get that unless we form an HOA and/or fund it ourselves. Given the state of the exterior of some of the homes (in dire need of new siding, fencing and other repairs) I doubt that people are financially well enough off to fund such a project on our own. It's not a bad neighborhood, it just isn't filled with wealthy people.

It seems to me that volume of vehicles passing through should be less important to consideration as population density of children and average propensity of speeding, unfortunately it doesn't work like that, and neighborhood speeders risk children's lives every time they selfishly careen through our streets.

And yet even after a little kid died just recently in our neighborhood, a bunch of idiots in my neighborhood STILL park on the crosswalk, or in the no-parking zone (as if their kids legs would fall off from walking another 15 feet?) they also ignore school zone signs. Apparently some people are too stupid to realize that children have a hard time seeing safely around parked cars, especially on a hill and with a curve both directions and they don't care to slow down to 20 mph, making all that much harder for children to safely cross. Stupid, lazy and selfish.

We'll periodically see cops maybe once a year when some other parent apparently tired of the bad driving, but the offenderes only stop ignoring the rules when the cops are there, once they stop coming around, they're back to their selfish ways.
Why are the children in the street where they can be hit?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,327 times
Wow. Bad choice posting on my phone while walking to the school to get my son. Day should be say and helping should be help...

Old 10-03-2014, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
Speed bumps are not just annoying, they stop response time for police and other emergency teams. They are proven to cause 39% more accidents then places without them. We had a drunk driver hit one on our street and ran off the road into some lady's house. The irony is that she was one of the idiotic ones that wanted them. If you don't like people racing down your street than there are gated communities and if it's about your kids playing in the street then take some parenting skills classes or pay 50 or more dollars and put a registration sticker on their heads to help pay for this waste of tax payers dollars. The streets were not made for playing basketball in.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough2020 View Post
They are proven to cause 39% more accidents then places without them.
OK, I'll bite. Prove it.

I've never seen a statistic like that or heard a claim of a percentage like that.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:20 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,033 times
10 Reasons To Hate Speed Bumps

Old 10-04-2014, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
traffic circles are proven to be more affective and don't make your residents look like crap and bring property value down

Old 10-05-2014, 06:23 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough2020 View Post
traffic circles are proven to be more affective and don't make your residents look like crap and bring property value down
Agree, however Olmos Park took down the fountain on McCullough due to so many drunks crashing into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio