Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times

Advertisements

I approve of that website! :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
well, not to hijack your thread, and certainly not to minimize the seriousness of the topic.... but..... that just sounds funny: speed hump...
LOLOL...
sounds like a quickie.... oh im so bad....
*snickers*

Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
Call211. I did it. They did a survey in my good. We did not have enough traffic. But at least they came out.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Nice story, bro - but if you had *just* stuck your head out, there's NO way a vehicle would have hit you. The clearances required for the vehicle mirrors well exceed that of a child's head.

Wanna try again?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM

232 posts, read 379,878 times
Multi point response.

A busy street in my neighborhood wanted speed bumps and contacted the city. The city did its little survey and determined the traffic and speed wouldn't justify the city putting in the bumps. It was amazing no one was speeding with that big, obvious speed trailer parked on the side of the road. So the 2 block stretch raised the money and paid for them themselves.

On another post, someone said something about street parking to slow down the traffic. When I had a home in the cottage district of Alamo Heights, there was a lot of traffic on our street and most were speeding. We petitioned city council for a stop sign at the end of the block to slow them down but it was rejected. For reference, these streets are very narrow. Our block got together and parked cars on both sides of the street all day, except from 2-5 am per city code, and that only left enough room for one lane of traffic for the entire block. Needless to say we got our stop sign within 1 month.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
I find it funny that 2 "rednecks" responded within 24 minutes of each other! =D

That being said, speed bumps are completely unnecessary & severely increase the wear & tear on a car. Bicyclists should stay in bike lanes & pedestrians should use the SIDEWALK & use CROSSWALKS. There's a reason both words have "WALK" in them.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM

232 posts, read 379,878 times
I did forget to add that I HATE speed bumps.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
I suspect speed bumps are mostly pointless. I imagine many of the people who you're hoping to slow down aren't worried about the damage to their car and probably don't slow down much for them anyway. Or they speed up to them, slow a little then speed on their merry way.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
FWIW, if you have an HOA and private streets, you don't need ANY approval from the city or any other government body to get speed bumps. You just have to convince your neighbors and your HOA.

I just thought I would point that out, since HOAs often get a bad rap here.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,240 times
For those kvetching about how much you hate speed bumps...oh boo hoo, go cry into your pillow. Your car might get a bit of damage to the shocks and struts because you're failing to slow down enough for a speed bump. Shocks and struts are replaceable, a child's life is not. Honestly who cares about your stupid car? Unless it's a well maintained classic, it's losing value every minute you own it. Speed bumps just might slow a few reckless drivers down enough to keep some children safe.

It literally took the death of a child in my neighborhood to get the city to install speed bumps on a single road in the neighborhood. We could use them in all of our streets, but I don't think we'll get that unless we form an HOA and/or fund it ourselves. Given the state of the exterior of some of the homes (in dire need of new siding, fencing and other repairs) I doubt that people are financially well enough off to fund such a project on our own. It's not a bad neighborhood, it just isn't filled with wealthy people.

It seems to me that volume of vehicles passing through should be less important to consideration as population density of children and average propensity of speeding, unfortunately it doesn't work like that, and neighborhood speeders risk children's lives every time they selfishly careen through our streets.

And yet even after a little kid died just recently in our neighborhood, a bunch of idiots in my neighborhood STILL park on the crosswalk, or in the no-parking zone (as if their kids legs would fall off from walking another 15 feet?) they also ignore school zone signs. Apparently some people are too stupid to realize that children have a hard time seeing safely around parked cars, especially on a hill and with a curve both directions and they don't care to slow down to 20 mph, making all that much harder for children to safely cross. Stupid, lazy and selfish.

We'll periodically see cops maybe once a year when some other parent apparently tired of the bad driving, but the offenderes only stop ignoring the rules when the cops are there, once they stop coming around, they're back to their selfish ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio