U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,131,194 times

Advertisements

LOL I have every Christmas and Thanksgiving off, and I'm not a teacher. (and it's even air-conditioned)

And teachers do have a tough job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 PM

40 posts, read 125,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmjuarez View Post
Ok so any teachers out there know - what is the demand for these days? I am getting my certification and want to make sure I am going into the right field then? Texas Teachers states special ed is the way to go. Now I am beginning to wonder?

PS - Yes NISD is very hard to get into. It took my husband 5 years and to know some other people within the district to get an interview, much less a job! Great district to work for and he has a lot of pride along with it for the district! Interviewing is key. If you can't interview, you are out of luck. Just be yourself and show you are there for the right reasons.
5 years!! I work for another fairly large district in SA, but I dont like the direction it has taken. I've been on 2 interviews with NISD. I did not like the school on the first interview, the 2nd interview was held at the job fair and I truly could not focus, as there were 3 different interviews taking place at the same time! ACK!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM

81 posts, read 237,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

And teachers do have a tough job.
I just have to laugh over this. I have a cousin in the army over in Iraq that has to worry about getting his head blown off 24/7. A friend of mine was an over the road truck driver that was hit by a woman in a car and had to be hospitalized for several weeks. My husband is a welder that had to watch as his co-worker was pulled out (dead) from underneath a metal wall that fell and crushed him. I watched a co-worker's eyes become huge when he sliced his finger on a vial of blood that could have contained any number of blood borne pathogens. Teachers have a tough job? Sorry, I disagree.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

111 posts, read 675,566 times
Yea it seems hard to get in these days. Well I guess it depends on your certification and who you know basically. I am really skeptical now - any ideas on what the demands are now for teachers? Should I go with Special Ed? Or do something else? I just know I cannot do Science!

PS - I am not a teacher yet, but being that I am married to one I can say that they do have a hard job day in a day out. There are jobs everywhere that you work in the air conditioning and jobs that give you holidays off also. Don't knock teachers jobs if you are not one or know how they really are. My opinion - no hard feelings

Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
I just have to laugh over this. I have a cousin in the army over in Iraq that has to worry about getting his head blown off 24/7. A friend of mine was an over the road truck driver that was hit by a woman in a car and had to be hospitalized for several weeks. My husband is a welder that had to watch as his co-worker was pulled out (dead) from underneath a metal wall that fell and crushed him. I watched a co-worker's eyes become huge when he sliced his finger on a vial of blood that could have contained any number of blood borne pathogens. Teachers have a tough job? Sorry, I disagree.
Sounds like all your friends should have gone into teaching then.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Ok let me say this then. A "tough" job is different in so many people's eyes. Yes people in the Army have "tough" jobs. And people that work in the hot sun all day long do also! Teachers have a different tough job. I think people have the perception that they just go to work, teach, and go home to enjoy their summers off w/ okay pay. That is not the case. There are numerous things you deal with on a day to day basis. Such as: children from homes that have no parents, discipline problems, kids bringing weapons to school, and not to mention the "political" talk of how you have to do well on TAKS. That is a whole other subject. All of these jobs are important and are difficult in different ways. No reason to knock any of them.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM

81 posts, read 237,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sounds like all your friends should have gone into teaching then.
No because oddly enough...I never hear them complain about their jobs. They just get up and do it. I guess they just find something very satisfying in putting in an honest day's work.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 PM

I wasn't knocking anyone. I do think teachers have a tough job, and nobody on a message board is going to change my mind about it because they know people with tougher (in their perception) jobs. Yes, being in Iraq has got to be tough, and so does watching a co-worker die (like teachers have never had to go through any school shootings) but teaching is a difficult career and my hat is off to those that choose that career when caring about what is best for the kids is their driving factor--not how many days off they get or what their paycheck looks like.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:25 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
No because oddly enough...I never hear them complain about their jobs. They just get up and do it. I guess they just find something very satisfying in putting in an honest day's work.

Better THEM than ME, I guess....My goal is to make as much as possible...and work as little as possible.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Oh I know you were not knocking the profession! That comment was more towards annie_annie. You are all fine - we are just putting out our opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio