Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 PM

81 posts, read 260,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Better THEM than ME, I guess....My goal is to make as much as possible...and work as little as possible.
I'm with you there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
No because oddly enough...I never hear them complain about their jobs. They just get up and do it. I guess they just find something very satisfying in putting in an honest day's work.
Well, I just went back and re-read the posts on here, and I see no teachers complaining. Looks like they just get up and do it. I guess they find something satisfying about putting in an honest day's work.

We are going to have to agree to disagree about it being a tough job. Obviously you think it's not, I think it is. No big deal.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,432 times
Quote:
I just have to laugh over this. I have a cousin in the army over in Iraq that has to worry about getting his head blown off 24/7. A friend of mine was an over the road truck driver that was hit by a woman in a car and had to be hospitalized for several weeks. My husband is a welder that had to watch as his co-worker was pulled out (dead) from underneath a metal wall that fell and crushed him. I watched a co-worker's eyes become huge when he sliced his finger on a vial of blood that could have contained any number of blood borne pathogens. Teachers have a tough job? Sorry, I disagree.
I hate to say this, but whatever career you're in is a choice...whether you chose to go to college and get a degree to start a career or if you chose to not pay attention in school and have to take what you can get, it's still a choice. If you don't like it, find something else to do. Don't whine about how hard your job is and then do nothing to better yourself and change your life.

Here's the thing...the people who go into the military know full well what the risks are going in, as do construction workers, garbage workers, teachers, doctors, whatever. Just because a job isn't dangerous (which teaching is sometimes) or physically difficult doesn't mean it's not a tough job. You try keeping a 30 hormonal teenagers or 25 5 year olds engaged and on task for a whole day.

And just for the record, I never said that teachers had it rough. I said that there would be people here that would take issue with your assumption that teachers only work 10 months out of the year. Teaching is by no means a 9-5 job with two months off every year. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that most people will never see (or appreciate).

Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Oh I knock teachers all the time. I'm the first one to say, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." If that makes people mad at me, I'm ok with that.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM

60 posts, read 246,102 times
Quote:
No because oddly enough...I never hear them complain about their jobs. They just get up and do it. I guess they just find something very satisfying in putting in an honest day's work.
I am career military and my girlfriend is a 1st grade teacher. She does get summers off but believe me she earns them. If you don't think controlling 18 - 6 year old children is difficult and at the same time trying to teach them to read, then you are obviously here just trying to start an argument.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM

40 posts, read 138,984 times
Quote:
Being retired military myself and now a teacher, I can tell you that teaching is definitely an honest day's work and then some! Dealing with a 4th grader who is afraid she might be pregnant; kids who bring weapons to school; reporting cases of abuse time after time; kids who only eat at school; working with fetal alcohol syndrome children, etc is no day in the park either.

I didnt notice any one complaining about their jobs, rather addressing the misperception about summers off and working 8-3.

(No, I wasn't in Iraq, but I did spend some time in Somalia back in the day---so I do know what stress is like.)

Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 PM

60 posts, read 246,102 times
Quote:
Oh I knock teachers all the time. I'm the first one to say, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." If that makes people mad at me, I'm ok with that.
Another good quote is "if you can read this, thank a teacher"

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I hate to say this, but whatever career you're in is a choice...whether you chose to go to college and get a degree to start a career or if you chose to not pay attention in school and have to take what you can get, it's still a choice. If you don't like it, find something else to do. Don't whine about how hard your job is and then do nothing to better yourself and change your life.
Just for the record....some of us complain about our jobs, even if we love what we do. Some days are just hard.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Couldn't agree more. I taught for a little while (substitute, which granted really isn't the full picture) and couldn't stand it. So I pursued other things.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,432 times
Quote:
I've linked to it before and since the message didn't get through, I'll link to it again:

YouTube - Taylor Mali on what teachers make

And by the way, part of the reason teachers have a tough job is because of that kind of attitude...most of the teachers I know could have chosen to go a different route and into whatever field they teach (and probably made a killing doing it), but they chose, instead to share their knowledge with YOUR children.

Where would you be without an education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio