U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:17 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,345,664 times

Advertisements

Ok, thank you for your input. Like I said, I'm not here to argue or debate. This thread is for fun, I thought. Just stating my opinion. So, we can agree to disagree...friends?

Oh, and this has been a hard move for me, for personal reasons. Just a FYI. Sorry if I'm a bit negative and sarcastic for ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,242,872 times
Anyway how about them spurs.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,389,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Anyway how about them spurs.
Life is a little less stressful now they're out.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Of course.
I hope you manage to find something here to enjoy in time. It's no fun to be miserable all the time.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
You lob this little tidbit out and then don't expect some flack.*lol* Being a military wife is not easy, for sure, but going on and on about how awful a new place is, how miserable you are and how your old place is better gets old. Maybe you don't feel that you had a choice, but, trust me, there are plenty of transplants who did and still go on ad nauseam about their misery.

I just wanted to make clear that I'm not one to go on and on about my old place and how awful this place is. I have tried nothing BUT to accept my new places of where I've moved. I think we can agree that as military spouses we have all been to a place that was not our top choice and we might be a little negative about it. I'm just trying to defend those who might be having a bad experience and they are entitled to say how they feel. It's kind of a bummer when you are having a tough time, then some local says "don't complain about it". It really puts you in a bad place. Please know that I'm just defending the right for everyone to feel how they want and not feel bad about it. Ok? Peace? Please? *waving a white flag*

Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Of course.
I hope you manage to find something here to enjoy in time. It's no fun to be miserable all the time.
Again, not miserable at all...just a little homesick.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,902,867 times
Woah, flames almost got out of control.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,369,269 times
I understand miltary moves taking you to places you don't want to be.. I used to be a spanish linguist in San Diego and my only option when it came time to transfer was MRSOC (now NSA Texas) here in SA. So I learned a completely different language just to not come here and look where they sent me...
That story was a good icebreaker when I was checking in though.. and I don't totally hate it, but will be moving far north whenever my time is right.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

mojo (I can't quote your posts for some reasons) - FWIW I think you're right, everyone does have a right to complain about things they don't like.

I think on these types of forums, the problem is that the same people constantly complain about the city, about how everything here is bad and nothing is like 'home,' and it gets tiresome. It doesn't really help anyone to only complain - and in this microcosm that is a chat forum, that's what happens.

I've lived in lots of places in my life, some I loved and some I complained about a lot while living there. I learned my lesson though, when locals got tired of the complaining and said to suck it up or get out. You know what? They were right. And to add insult to injury, I ended up missing those places when I left! Since then I make an effort to find something I enjoy about a new city. Yes, I still complain about a lot of things, but I also try to find good things too. not to please the locals, but to please myself.

For my birthday a few years ago, my husband, knowing I would rather have moved to Africa than San Antonio, got me two presents : National Geographic DVD collection on Africa and a Texas State Parks pass. The first he said was to help my longing for Africa, and the second was to keep me happy while I was 'stuck' here. It couldn't have been more perfect. We've been renewing the pass every year since and enjoying discovering new parks.

I'm sorry this was a hard move for you and I hope you eventually enjoy it.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:54 PM

732 posts, read 3,368,431 times
Mojo....I don't ever recall hearing you complain about ANYTHING before....it must be a rough day.

I'm sorry.....I know how it feels to move constantly and have no family nearby to help you out (especially with kids!) I can understand where you are coming from - when you miss "home" it's hard to embrace a new location....

Hugs......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio