U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

343 posts, read 1,174,282 times

Advertisements

"He who shall not be named."

I think his wife is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,600,860 times
which one, the new one, or the one he divorced back in 2003 veronica?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,734,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
which one, the new one, or the one he divorced back in 2003 veronica?

huh? Well, he was with Veronica when he came into our office in late 2006.......

Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
LOL, sorry to create such a puzzle by not mentioning his name. I just kinda figured he was the only one from here on TV (isn't he?)... so it wouldn't be that hard to figure out.

I'm in the dark about a new wife too... and I don't get the Shamu joke?

I must say that I am NOT enamored of him or starstruck. Just kind of cool to think of my little pocket of the 'hood being on TV, since it's pretty much ignored by the rest of the city!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,600,860 times
Well in Civil cases of SA Bexar county they got divorced back in 2003

Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm an old house purist too. Good thing since we have fairly strict guidelines about what we can do with the exterior of our house in this historic district.

I have a vague idea of the show you're referring to, though I've never seen it so I could be wrong on my assumptions. However, I have a rather not-so-positive opinion of flippers in general. It's rare that they do a good job on a house, tending more to cut corners and do cosmetic things, and if you look a bit under thr surface leaves a lot to be desired. I also don't like them because I don't think they contribute much to the community in that they are rarely a part of the community, contributing in a real way by becoming active and participating in community events. It's usually all about making the $$. I know some will argue that fixing up a house helps the community, but what really helps are bringing people in who are committed to restoring the community. Flippers rarely do that.

But maybe I'm wrong and it'll help your area. I've just seen all the 'flipper houses in my 'hood sit on the market forever, because few people are willing to pay top dollar for shoddy work. The result is a bunch of vacant properties. I'd rather have some somewhat lower income folks buy the houses and take their time lovingly restoring them, while becoming part of the community.

I'd be thrilled if This Old House came to our 'hood though

Good luck!
Chaka; I agree in general.... but how do you go about getting interest in a community so that restorers want to live here? Everyone's afraid of my neighborhood.

Our neighborhood is old with lots of history, BUT it was never a wealthy area so doesn't have quite the architecture of some other historic parts of town. Homes are more simple. They still have tons of charm, but a lot of it is on the inside only (french doors, wood floors, built-ins, high ceilings, etc)... many of the houses are pretty simple but solid.

I am horrified when I watch some of these flip shows. I saw one (wasn't Montelongo) where they covered up the rotten, probably termite-eaten wood siding like it was no big thing! Ick!! I came across a lot of this when I was house hunting... old houses that looked like a brand new apartment on the inside. Not a trace of "old" left, and gross to boot with faux wood grain counters, stainless sinks, generic carpet, shrunken windows. My real estate agent did NOT get why I hated those houses!

Anyway, I am generally with you on flippers. With this particular house though, it has a lot working against it... mainly size and amount of work needed. I don't see anyone who would live here being able to afford to fix it and needing that much space... I could be wrong but it seemed doomed from the start because it's 6 bedrooms, split into 4 rentals years ago, and needs a ton of electrical and who knows what. Now *I* am the type that would buy here and would have loved that much space but that's irrelevant since I already have a house. LOL. It would have to be someone who could afford to fix the electrical AND remove all the things that made it "apartments" and put it back the way it was. This neighborhood is just not that "hot" that I figured it wouldn't happen and it would stay a tri or four plex.

So I would still rather a flipper get it and turn it into a single family home and sell it than another investor come along and keep it multi-family. I watched a stream of people come check it out and most were wanting to just keep it a rental. I don't know what Montelongo does but maybe he doesn't do rentals? Who knows. It was a blight before when it was rented to 3 or 4 families at a time. Huge pain in the butt for the rest of us on the street.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Wow. Maybe they divorced for some $$ reason and are still together? Or maybe some other reason? I don't know. Don't really care, but I am curious. Or nosy. LOL.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Chaka; I agree in general.... but how do you go about getting interest in a community so that restorers want to live here?

Our neighborhood is old with lots of history, BUT it was never a wealthy area so doesn't have quite the architecture of some other historic parts of town. Homes are more simple. They still have tons of charm, but a lot of it is on the inside only (french doors, wood floors, built-ins, high ceilings, etc)... many of the houses are pretty simple but solid.
Well, I was lucky because when I moved into Lavaca in 2001, there were already people living here working to make it historic and revitalize it. My former landlords helped by renting a number of properties, but fixing them up first (not completely, but making them livable and keeping them in good condition) and selecting very specific types of tenants. People like me who liked it so much I decided to buy

Our location helps - right next to downtown and King William. but this was never a wealthy area - I like to call it King William's servants' quarters. It has some wonderful houses, but most are smaller, one story, built by skilled tradesmen types.

I think your area is very similar, it just doesn't border some more upscale areas to help draw the attention, but borders some less savory areas which doesn't help. That doesn't mean it's doomed, just that it may take more time.

If you're seriously interested, I could put you in touch with some folks in my 'hood who've been here for 20+ years, bought during the lowest point of the ghetto days (homes for $30K or less!) and are very happy campers now to give you some ideas. Community support is key -you need neighbors who have the same vision and are committed, as well as something about the 'hood to attract folks. I'd think your proximity to downtown helps. Also, given the extension of the Riverwalk west (still years off, but in the plans) and a recent focus on developing the west end of downtown will help a lot.

Many of my neighbors are lower to middle income folks who could scrape enough together to buy a house, and are VERY slowly making needed improvements. Our house wasn't livable at first, and we got a mortgage which included a renovation loan which helped with the basics - foundation, electrical, plumbing (we tore everything down to the 'studs' - although these houses don't have typical studs...). Now we're just going room by room. Some rooms were not livable for some time. Most of our neighbors are doing it the same way: making it livable enough, then tackling it a little at a time.

That's not for everyone though. It can be hard living this way, and you have to really believe in what you're doing and be willing to tolerate a lot of cr@p!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,842,811 times
Quote:
I think she FILED for divorce, but it was never finalized. I figured they reconciled.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,734,351 times
Ugh. Could you imagine reconciling with THAT?! Oy. Poor girl, prolly did it for the kid(s?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or