U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think it's a good idea for trucks to use them, so people can honk if they happen to be in that lane. That's a great way to test the waters before jumping in.
However, in SA people signal as they are running into you and they don't care. I've honked plenty of times to let them know I was there and they just flip you off. Unbelievably stupid and that's one of the many reasons I think this is without a doubt the rudest city in the world when it comes to drivers.
I had a weird experience today...I was coming down a residential road in a subdivision, noticed a car stopped, waiting to turn left, at a street which Ts into the main road I was driving on. the driver was looking right at me. As I got close to the intersection, she pulled out! I swear she was aiming straight for me. I had to swerve to miss her.

I don't get it. She was LOOKING at me and still seemed poised to run right into me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
How about this one ??.....Left lane closed ahead, warnings given almost a mile beforehand, and here comes el stupido right up to where the choke point is and tries to muscle their way into the open lane ?? ha-HA!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
How about this one ??.....Left lane closed ahead, warnings given almost a mile beforehand, and here comes el stupido right up to where the choke point is and tries to muscle their way into the open lane ?? ha-HA!!!!
Because they are VIP's. They do it everywhere in this town, and that has got to be my biggest driving pet peeve.

Bandera and Eckhert is where my blood pressure goes up to borderline hypertension. Well, Eckhert trying to turn right onto Bandera. Grrrr.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
Quote:
That's a big one too ejf1mom.. there's an art to the whole thing, but most people just suck at it.

I thought of another peeve while driving across Lackland. Certain lanes may not be right turn only, but 99.9% of the traffic turns right at them. It's common courtesy to not occupy them, or at least I do that. It's even worse when you tie up a bunch of right turners behind you and then turn right when the light turns green. That happened to me twice just on Lackland today.
That's rule #4 from the Texas "What Can I Do To PYO Today Manual" paragraph 2, sub-paragraph (b)...

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
I think a lot of times, people really aren't meaning to make you mad--they simply don't know, and don't care enough to learn the right way to drive. And then when they do make you mad, it's like a bonus for them. "Hahaha! I've had a crappy day, and now you have, too!!"

Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I had a weird experience today...I was coming down a residential road in a subdivision, noticed a car stopped, waiting to turn left, at a street which Ts into the main road I was driving on. the driver was looking right at me. As I got close to the intersection, she pulled out! I swear she was aiming straight for me. I had to swerve to miss her.

I don't get it. She was LOOKING at me and still seemed poised to run right into me.
That person must drive around town all day and do it because I have seen them too.. I wish it was only one person, but of course it isn't and I also wish I could explain it, but I'm just not stupid enough. I had a fool on the back part of Lackland make an illegal left turn into a right turn lane right in front of me, just so they could beat me. Then the momo proceeds to drive under the speed limit and is constantly looking in his rearview mirror because I'm still behind him.. No clue what he was trying to accomplish, but it was fun making him worry because I just kept on following him

Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 PM

155 posts, read 329,191 times
Quote:
only use the turn signal when you're going into a lane that is already occupied. It's acceptable and actually encouraged here...
Could someone else respond to this, please. It's late and I'm tired. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,333,904 times
okay folks....the fact of the matter is you need to chill out while driving. There is absolutely nothing you can do (safely or legally) to impact the driving of the idiots we share the road with other than look out for yourself/notify the police of erratic/illegal driving.

I share everyone's pain of merging with traffic. I drive a short section of 410 everyday....fact of the matter is the speed limit for the the most part is a paltry 55mph. I've been behind folks doing anywhere from 35-50mph merging onto the highway. Nothing you can do except merge in behind them and scoot out into the middle/left lane when you can.

If folks need to get over and they have their blinker on and don't slow me down, I let them in.

For those that take advantage and ignore the lane ending signs, I don't let them in.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 AM

222 posts, read 632,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Because they are VIP's. They do it everywhere in this town, and that has got to be my biggest driving pet peeve.

Bandera and Eckhert is where my blood pressure goes up to borderline hypertension. Well, Eckhert trying to turn right onto Bandera. Grrrr.
I was there today. . .TWICE. I make sure I am NOT in a hurry whenever I do anything in that area of Bandera - since everyone else is and you know how that supercedes the need for driving etiquette.

I EXPECT idiots on the road now. If I don't see them then I come home with this "creeped out" feeling. . . like invasion of the body snatchers has begun or something.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 AM

134 posts, read 459,595 times
Oh I love it when I have enough room to move over & the person speeds up I just keep on going & turn to look at them w/a big smile & wave nicely! That really ticks them off.

I use to exit & keep going, but now with children I make sure I'm not cutting it too close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio