Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,002,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well im a six foot one or two nun-chuck carrying white boy so well have no problems.
Oh I can hold my own. I'm just waiting for the day someone tries to snatch my purse so I can beat them with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:43 PM

791 posts, read 3,948,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddys2 View Post
Hi Carlitaway you should really check out meetup.com which is a really active site for finding friends locally. You can search for local groups with similar interests and meet up in a safe group setting.
Although I am really LMAO at this whole conversation, I thought I'd briefly steer back to the original topic and add my $.02 on ways I've found to meet new folks when I move to a new city (which has been OFTEN).

• Craigslist is iffy depending on the city. In DC, craigslist is a great resource with interesting conversations/exchanges and actual quality people who are interested in making friends. Not so much in SA, and I'm not sure why the difference.
  • As hoddy said, meetup.com is great - very focused groups connecting people based on specific interests.
  • Meetin.org Meetin.org - Fun free events. Make new friends in your city is another site with lots of activities, but geared more toward social get-togethers/activties where you randomly meet people. I've met some really nice people through meetin.org.
  • If you like the outdoors, you might also check out TOWN Texas Outdoor Womens Network - San Antonio, Texas They have meetings once a month and outdoor excursions planned regularly.
  • If you're an arts/literature lover, Gemini Ink has tons of events, activities and workshops that are great for connecting with others. Gemini Ink - Literary Arts and Ideas - Home

Professional organizations have also proven to be great places to meet people that I connected with personally... women-focused professional groups seemed to be more geared toward building those types of personal relationships than general professional relationships (for example, SA Women's Chamber vs Greater Chamber, or Women in Communications vs Intl Assn of Busn Communicators). I'm not knocking any particular professional org, simply observing that those with a focus on women tend to be better at helping members foster personal relationships that extend beyond professional contacts. Hope this helps you get started in making friends in your new town.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,192,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I've been debating this but I read through the posts and it seems many don't get what strictly platonic means. I'm not looking for a booty call and don't want to get mixed up with any freakos. So has anyone ever used this section? How was it?
Most people in the "strictly platonic" section don't know what "platonic" means. It does NOT mean "lets see where it goes", or "friends first and maybe more", or nude cuddling. It means strictly friends with no sexual intentions. Unfortunately, 95% of the ads in the "strictly platonic" section are sexual in nature. Is there no moderators on craigslist?

It would be nice to have some outlet to meet new people through the Internet without sex being involved. It can be intimidating moving to a new city and making friends from scratch.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times
Craigslist is moderated by users. Ads that should be deleted aren't flag and ads that shouldn't be deleted are flagged.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,899,103 times
Friendship update.....we never walked, but we DID do water aerobics together. Her kids are stinkin' adorable. And now she is a very busy woman. We stay connected, though. C-D worked for us.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 PM

26 posts, read 43,706 times
Strictly Platonic is a good place to meet people, but it's still misunderstood by some of the posters. Watch out for posts looking for the opposite sex, it's usually not an actually platonic/non-sexual request...people need to bust out their dictionaries.

Also, when meeting anyone from Craigslist, common sense applies. Public place, during the day, know your exit, tell someone where you're going...don't get taken advantage of just because you wanted to make some new friends, and there will always be people who try to. Be careful.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,611,347 times
you can meet some mighty strange people off of craigslist. personally, im a craigslister seller, not a craigslister meet people'er. whenever i want somehing gone, now, craigslist has rarely done me wrong.

the one ANNOYING thing is, because i price my stuff reasonably, i get flagged quite often. competition hates competition i guess? i went so far as to go to their flagging forum and post my ad and ask if was ok. pretty much everyone agreed except a few, and their gripe was that i was using photobucket for larger, more detailed images (some of the stuff i sold required this, as it was heavy in detail). they said that maybe that could be the cause but other than that, my ad looked fine by them.

because of the constant flagging when i post something for a great price, ive had to verify my account by phone (yay google voice) more often than one should be required to do. im not sure what triggers it... the only thing i can think of is the flagging.

anywho, hope this advice helps!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,395,046 times
This is a super old thread but it's still alive.

I'll add that, yes, I've placed an ad in the Platonic Section.

However, my experience wasn't the best.

As a guy into guys, I did put in there that I wanted friends and put my picture up...I remember two guys in 2009 who responded to my ad wanted "more" than just friends if you get my drift. I remember back in 2007 when this super very hot Southside 19 year old latin dude told me he only wanted friends when I first met him online but in person he "changed" his mind.

I put another ad last year and one guy was so super crazy in love with me without even ever meeting me. Met him in person...he was a sweetie but just too much of the "attached" kind. I felt smothered and I was just looking for friends, not a relationship per se. During this time, I also had this cute white boy respond to my ad requesting to see "other pictures" of me which I refused to send. That was the end of our email exchange when I didn't want to send him those other pictures he requested. Afterall, I only wanted friendship.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,071,491 times
Yes, I have. I had a hard time finding female friends so I put an ad up. I got an answer from someone who after a while of being friends became my co worker since my work had an opening. She has since left my work and is attending grad school. We still talk from time to time.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,017,580 times
If I were looking, I could probably find someone more compatible at the grocery store. We could compare apples to oranges and figure out if we compatible for whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio