U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
It really was a meat market before, when it was Giorgio's....before it became Bogey's (sp?).

It was a gentlemen's club. I always wondered what Bogey's was like, I haven't been...sounds like a good place to take the wife! What type of music? Similar to Polly's downtown?
they play a mixture of older 60's, 70's and 80's --- during the early hours, like maybe 7-9pm there are quite a few older couples, like late 50's to mid 60's and they are cutting a rug --- they are great --- they dance awesomely and i can only hope to have as much energy and fun as they do when i am that age ---

they usually leave around 9 or 930pm to make way for the younger crowd, but even at that it is a good mix of late 20's - mid 40's or so --- i am trying to remember if they play any tejano or not, if they do, it is not much --- it's not a huge place, but it's fun ---

there is also a restaurant on the River Walk called Republic of Texas that turns into a club after 10pm --- i think that is the right time --- it's really fun also --- i have gone there with my cousin and we go and eat dinner and then hang out and have drink until the club starts...they clear out tables for the dance floor and you don't have to pay cover if you are already in there ---

also, Perico's, on bandera --- on friday and saturday night they have a live 4 person band that plays out on there patio from about 7 or 8 until about 10 or 11 or so --- it is really, really fun --- but the patio gets so full now that you really have to get there early to get a table outside --- they play good music and you can dance --- we would go for a late lunch/early dinner, wait for the music to start and then order margarita's, beer and some nachos --- great fun!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Thanks for the Perico's review!! That sounds like a lot of fun! I've always wondered.....

Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 PM

546 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Zinc Champagne and Wine Bar downtown is excellent, this would be my first/top choice. I'm 37, the missus 24, she likes it because it ain't too "old," I like it because it ain't too "young" OR completely lame like a Polly Esther's, etc. Zinc: Wine, Champagne & Spirits | About

Silo is a bit "older" as well - late 20's'-early 50's, the live music though is pretty terrible, and yeah, it can be a bit meat-marketish at times.

Lion and the Rose in AH is a safe choice, it's all over the place, 21 year olds sitting next to 50's, etc. It's kinda dull though, just a sit-and-drink kinda joint.

An overlooked classic is Casbeer's, a 21-60+ hangout depending on the band playing, they have some pretty swell live music (blues, alt-country mainly) - hell, the Los#3 Dinners still play their a lot, and those guys have to in their late 50's to early 60's? Oh yeah, popular 80's band the Krayolas have re-formed and they play their often as well. CASBEERS, a tradition...

I also like Sam's Burger Joint a lot depending on who they have playing, lots of touring acts in the swing, rockabilly, surf, americana mode. Whenever the Sons of Hercules or The Ugly Beats (from Austin, VERY 60's in sound, but the members are all mid-30's) play, I'm there - I like to call 'em the Rolling Stones of San Antonio, lead singer has to be mid-50's, but he's a wild man, screaming, howling, all that jazz, they pretty much have a teenage (yes, I said TEENAGE)-to-fifty plus following, very garage/farfisa organ/nuggets-60's punk sensibility, if you dig that sort of thing:
LIVE MUSIC IN SAN ANTONIO-Swing Dancing, Blues and Alternative Rock:::SAMS BURGER JOINT, TEXAS
MySpace.com - Sons Of Hercules - SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Punk / Garage / Rock - www.myspace.com/sonsofhercules
MySpace.com - The Ugly Beats - AUSTIN, TEXAS - Garage / Folk Rock / Powerpop - www.myspace.com/theuglybeats
MySpace.com - The Krayolas - SAN ANTONIO, US - Rock / Pop / Indie - www.myspace.com/thekrayolas

Oh yeah, LUNA is a great live jazz club, I'm not much of a jazz fan, but it's a swanky hangout, and they occasinally have a touring act we'll go to see: http://www.lunalive.com/.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 PM

394 posts, read 1,375,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I guess 25+? Is what I consider an older crowd. I'm not saying 25 is old by any means but If I end up in a bar I don't want to be the oldest one there. KWIM? And I prefer not to be in a singles type environment. Those days are long gone
Oh my heavens...I'm in depression! Give me my blankie and a rocking chair Us 50-somethings don't feel old! KWIM??? Just kidding....at 30 I probably thought anybody older than 40 should be relegated to staying home and watching Gunsmoke on TV or something. So......where do the 40 and 50-something's hang out??

Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM

604 posts, read 1,368,982 times
Pericos on Bandera also has really good specials, tuesday is 2.00 Margarita all night and Wed night is 2.00 Parrot tails (like a fruity margarita) you can drink several before you realize walking might be a problem

Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Pericos on Bandera also has really good specials, tuesday is 2.00 Margarita all night and Wed night is 2.00 Parrot tails (like a fruity margarita) you can drink several before you realize walking might be a problem
yes, and their Italian Margarita's are awesome!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,987,861 times
Raffles and any Jazz bar

Old 06-08-2008, 05:43 PM

55,487 posts, read 74,383,428 times
at home on the porch swating flies.

confucius
pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-08-2008, 06:18 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Well. we're young and hip , though closer to 40 than 30...pre-kid we liked Medusa and Sirius, but it's been awhile. Having a little one and no babysitter means we have to go to places that are kid friendly, so we usually end up at Beethoven's or Blue Star, occassionally meet friends at Flying Saucer, but only if it's outside.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paka View Post
dang Pop's...if 25++ Constitutes Older...we Are Ancient! Lol

That Is Ok...would Not Change Places With Anyone At This Point In My Life...it Is All So Darn Good!
Amen, Seester!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio