U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,800,556 times

Advertisements

Ok I've got an energy saving question. I was up in the attic yesterday and noticed two things:

1 - There are a few areas where there is no blown-in insulation and no fiberglass either. You can see the top of the sheetrock. These are where someone installed a can light and under a furnace. I was going to go and add blown insulation to fill in these areas, along with any others where I can see the sheetrock. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

2 - There is no radiant barrier. I was at Lowes and saw several kinds. One that looks like it should fit neatly between the roof beams and a wider variety. Is a barrier best installed between the beams, or would a wider one that covered the beams be more effective? Should it be installed laterally, or up / down along the roof? I know that there should be a gap of an inch or two between the barrier and roof decking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,608,927 times
Steve,

1. I would check to see how close the insulation would be to the furnace. It could be a fire hazard. If I had to choose, I would go with wrapped insulation. It would minimize fire danger and also prevent any blown insulation from getting into or clogging the furnace.

2. I don't think you have to cover the beams since the majority of the heat comes through the decking itself. I've always seen it up/down along the roof beams, but I don't think it matters one way or another.

--Dim

Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,304 times
Post Solar Screens.....Cost VS Savings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENNEFERTITI View Post
Mine was $207. 1500sf too.. We just replaced our screens with solar screens, so I am hoping to see a difference with the next bill. I was shocked.. I can only expect everything to go up, but our paychecks..
Well Queen..Thanks for your post....I have been putting off getting solar screens because of the added expense.....HOWEVER....after the CPS Bill for this month...I may consider it moneies well spent.....1500 SQ/FT.....it was $205.00........$55.00 more than last month....and with this heat it will only go up....Thank GOD we are in a Medallion Home that is energy star......

PLEASE post and let us all know about the savings you will get with the solar screens!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 11,304 times
Post Solar Screens.....Cost VS Savings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Oh yea, and we HAVE solar screens too...forgot that one.

The ONLY thing we have not done that I might consider is something to the attic such as the radiant barrier or additional insulation.

Hey Paka......Would you recommend the solar screen purchase using Cost-vs-Savings?????? Thanks.....best of luck with the windows......

Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,347,560 times
WE found them very helpful, not only in saving some $$ on the electric bill (we installed them in 95, probably need to be replaced) but also in keeping the west side of the house MUCH cooler. I totally recommend them...and in fact we will replace the current ones with newer/updated ones soon.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 AM

226 posts, read 820,682 times
Default My Bill

My bill this month is $184 it jumped about $40 from last month. However it is for a 3266sf 2 story home and I keep the thermostat at 75 degrees for both the 1st and 2nd floors. I added additonal blown in insulation in the attic - R-48; R-32 in the garage ceilings for the living space above garage; Fully insulated exterior garage walls R-13; Insulated garage door with R-5; variable speed blower for heat pump adds another 2 Seer to the 14 Seer heatpump.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:17 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,347,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
My bill this month is $184 it jumped about $40 from last month. However it is for a 3266sf 2 story home and I keep the thermostat at 75 degrees for both the 1st and 2nd floors. I added additonal blown in insulation in the attic - R-48; R-32 in the garage ceilings for the living space above garage; Fully insulated exterior garage walls R-13; Insulated garage door with R-5; variable speed blower for heat pump adds another 2 Seer to the 14 Seer heatpump.
Did youhave that insulation blown into the attic at building, or do you have the name and number of someone that did it for you IF you recommend them???

Bet some of us would be interested if you were pleased with the work and it was not done at initial build. Thanks much!!!

Garage door isn't going to help me much as we have a detached garage.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 AM

226 posts, read 820,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Did youhave that insulation blown into the attic at building, or do you have the name and number of someone that did it for you IF you recommend them???

Bet some of us would be interested if you were pleased with the work and it was not done at initial build. Thanks much!!!

Garage door isn't going to help me much as we have a detached garage.

It cost me $220 to have an R-11 blown in to my attic for a 3266 sf 2 story home. The builder standard was R-30. I used Williams insulation. They do quite a bit of work around San Antonio.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 52,042 times
Default Gas or Electric?

So what is the cheapest route to go with appliances/HVAC given the latest pricing from CPS? I am moving down in about a month and will be replacing almost all major appliances and HVAC.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM

796 posts, read 2,758,829 times
Well I just paid my bill it was $188. That was up only $20 from last month. Our house is 3312sq ft, two story with one a/c unit. We have a thermostat down stairs and upstairs and keep them both at 74 all day and night. Sometimes, just sometimes, I have to turn the upstairs up to 75 because the girls get cold.

My last house in Leander was 1225 sq ft and our bill would be around $220! It was 8 yrs old and the company was Perdenales Electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio