Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

My bill actually went down last month and that was with no changes at all. I thought for sure it would go up because of all the hot days we've had, but it was about $30 less than what it was last year for the month. My budget plan should probably only increase about $5/month.

BTW, I think different thermostats have different temps, because 80 in my house is basically not running the a/c at all. We've had it broke before and the hottest it got was 81. The thermostat is relatively new and one of the programmable ones, so I think the other 80 degree readings are probably about 5 degrees off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
BTW, I think different thermostats have different temps, because 80 in my house is basically not running the a/c at all. We've had it broke before and the hottest it got was 81. The thermostat is relatively new and one of the programmable ones, so I think the other 80 degree readings are probably about 5 degrees off.
We have an indoor/outdoor thermometer thing (one point located outside, one inside) that reads within .5 degree to what our a/c thermostat says consistently. Some rooms are warmer than others, so that reading only reflects that specific location, but is fairly accurate.

We do run our ceiling fans all the time.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
hmm, guess you have a much better tolerance to heat then, because 80 is disgustingly uncomfortable to me. Then again I'm the guy that looks at blizzards and gets a little giddy..

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
hmm, guess you have a much better tolerance to heat then, because 80 is disgustingly uncomfortable to me. Then again I'm the guy that looks at blizzards and gets a little giddy..
I grew up in the heat with no a/c and have spent a lot of time living in the tropics, I don't break a sweat at 80F and often spend the weekend (even lately at 100F) working outside. However my Swiss husband is the same, despite growing up with snow. I've lived in cold climates as well, and have adapted just fine. In fact, I prefer the northern cold over the local cold - mainly because you have time to adapt to it. Winter here, short as it is, doesn't give you time to adjust.

I hate the Texas a/c so cold you need a sweater in the summer time. The shock to the system going outside is hardest.

So yeah, we all have different tolerance levels. I don't sit in misery trying to save a few $$ on a/c - and apparently 80F in our house works fine, as guests usually have no problem either (tho we turn it down a bit more if we're having lots of people over). However they do know how to dress accordingly for warmer weather, so they're not wearing jeans and sweaters in August.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
My bill actually went down last month and that was with no changes at all. I thought for sure it would go up because of all the hot days we've had, but it was about $30 less than what it was last year for the month. My budget plan should probably only increase about $5/month.

Mine went down about $42.00. So far so good on the budget plan.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The poster was incredulous, stating something must be wrong with the meter if they're only paying $75/month for a 1700 SF home as stated.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, living in a house of similar size. 80 is quite comfortable in our well-shaded, well situated house.
First of all Chaka I was being facetious when I said there must be something wrong with your electricity! I said nothing about your meter. Maybe it's that old knob and tube wiring in those houses. Just reads funny. You must have some really high ceilings too! No, I'm not pickin' at you , just shocked by these low bills in larger houses. Are you actually in King William?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
This month: $~200 minus the trash, so getting slightly better.
Quote:
My bill actually went down last month and that was with no changes at all. I thought for sure it would go up because of all the hot days we've had, but it was about $30 less than what it was last year for the month. My budget plan should probably only increase about $5/month....
The bills went down last month because the fuel adjustment charge went down (from $0.0386 to $0.03028 per kilowatt).

Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
First of all Chaka I was being facetious when I said there must be something wrong with your electricity! I said nothing about your meter. Maybe it's that old knob and tube wiring in those houses. Just reads funny. You must have some really high ceilings too! No, I'm not pickin' at you , just shocked by these low bills in larger houses. Are you actually in King William?
I know...it was the follow-up by others that was problematic. People here seem to think it's impossible to have lower CPS bills and think we must all be suffering. However the poster to whom you were responding said their house was 1700SF, which may be larger to some (it's certainly big enough to me), but people here tend to think less than 2000SF is small.

No knob and tube wiring, that's the first thing we ripped out, along with the ancient plumbing. All up to code!

12 ft ceilings (give or take a few inches).

No, we're in Lavaca. King William is a different neighborhood from Lavaca. Built around the same time, but Lavaca was built more by craftsmen/skilled tradesmen than captains of commerce. Hence the houses tend to be smaller, less elaborate, and not so close to the river.. It's been referred to as King William's Servant's Quarters, King William's Back Door, Bohemian King William (I like that one), but really, we just call our 'hood Lavaca

Old 08-11-2008, 12:27 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
The bills went down last month because the fuel adjustment charge went down (from $0.0386 to $0.03028 per kilowatt).
When did the fuel adjustment go down? My meter was read on July 28th or 29th and the fuel adjustment charge was still $0.0386. Did the rate go down in August?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I know...it was the follow-up by others that was problematic. People here seem to think it's impossible to have lower CPS bills and think we must all be suffering. However the poster to whom you were responding said their house was 1700SF, which may be larger to some (it's certainly big enough to me), but people here tend to think less than 2000SF is small.

No knob and tube wiring, that's the first thing we ripped out, along with the ancient plumbing. All up to code!

12 ft ceilings (give or take a few inches).

No, we're in Lavaca. King William is a different neighborhood from Lavaca. Built around the same time, but Lavaca was built more by craftsmen/skilled tradesmen than captains of commerce. Hence the houses tend to be smaller, less elaborate, and not so close to the river.. It's been referred to as King William's Servant's Quarters, King William's Back Door, Bohemian King William (I like that one), but really, we just call our 'hood Lavaca
I'm thinkin' most of these old 50's built homes on the southside are 1400-1500 sq ft. if they haven't closed in their carports or added on.
Glad you got rid of that old wiring. That was odd wire I don't think it was solid copper. It's brittle either from age or maybe some steel content. I'm thinking your talking about east of St Mary's or Presa. Guess I've heard the Lavaca reference before just wasn't familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio