Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM

122 posts, read 512,812 times

Advertisements

Hey, I found these two email addresses on a rescue site. Maybe the person on the other end can help you out.

poodleclubofamerica@yahoo.com or sjpoodle@aol.com

Here is the number of the Austin small dog rescue group. I am sure the will have some good advice.

512-533-9360

I don't know where you are located, but see if someone has some dog shears you can borrow. It's not too difficult to just do an even shave all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
The Converse shelter is a no kill shelter.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniplus View Post
well, after we found out about this yesterday, my boys have been over twice to feed and water. They are very hairy and they are poodles. They were inside dogs up until this incident. I wish I would have known earlier.
Are they standard poodles (large), miniature poodles (small) and what is their overall condition ??

Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
Default Spay Neuter for free

Hello again
Forgot to tell you that the pound has free spay neuter (but I think the lines are long)
SNAP has low cost spay neuter I think depending on income.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
That's so awful. There are some no-kill shelters in SA but it is hard to get them in (always full). If they are poodles, someone will want them. Clean them up and put them on craigslist or the SA Express. But please have them fixed first (if they aren't already). There are so many people out there who would breed them irresponsibly.

Also, since the nieghbor is 92 and was doing a nice thing, it sounds like a heartwarming news story. I suggest calling some of the local stations to see if they would air the story.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM

122 posts, read 512,812 times
Jenniplus, I just happened to be looking through the wanted ads on craigslist and ran across this ad. It is a family looking to rehome two new small sized dogs. Their pets passed away, and they want to adopt two more. There isn't a phone number, but I sent her the link to this thread. You should contact her just to see.

WTA 2 small puppies/dogs (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,467 times
The Animal Defense League and the Humane Society are usually pretty full, but you can call them and see what they say. They can usually find a place for them if you can just give them a little time. About Craigslist..... please be careful if you post them there. Screen the new owners carefully. Make sure that they have a verifiable vet reference. Poodles are a pretty expensive breed (grooming, esp.) so if they quibble about an adoption fee and don't have a vet reference, probably not a good match. SNIPSA (Here in San Antonio) and Little Paws Maltese Rescue (Austin) are excellent rescue organizations. Also, Pampered Pups Grooming (548-3642) posted on Craigslist just last night that she will groom rescued dogs for a very reduced price. Hopefully you can at least get them shaved.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
Agree with rehoming fee and screening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleyberry View Post
The Animal Defense League and the Humane Society are usually pretty full, but you can call them and see what they say. They can usually find a place for them if you can just give them a little time. About Craigslist..... please be careful if you post them there. Screen the new owners carefully. Make sure that they have a verifiable vet reference. Poodles are a pretty expensive breed (grooming, esp.) so if they quibble about an adoption fee and don't have a vet reference, probably not a good match. SNIPSA (Here in San Antonio) and Little Paws Maltese Rescue (Austin) are excellent rescue organizations. Also, Pampered Pups Grooming (548-3642) posted on Craigslist just last night that she will groom rescued dogs for a very reduced price. Hopefully you can at least get them shaved.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Why do people do such irresponsible things with their animals? I'm continually shocked by the idiocy of our race.

Take them to the Humane Society on Fred. It's a beautiful, clean facility and they will most assuredly accept the dogs. Poodles are the kind of breed that tend to adopt out quickly. If the 92 year old gives you any trouble, threaten to hide her walker...

BN

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 24,090 times
Default update

We got them to the poodle rescue here in town late last week. They are miniature poodles, a boy and girl. We brought them over to our house because she was ready to put them on the street or drive them out to the country side, which is just a mile from us.

She had been caring for them for 6 months and when I told her I would help her she called me everyday and sometimes 3 times a day. I don't blame her, she IS 92... We just aren't dog people or really animal people, but took them in until we could get the rescue to take them. They were really sweet and the kids played and played with them even though they were stinky, dirty and all around in bad shape. They will make someone great pets.

The rescue lady, Joan Pfiefer of the Poodle Club, said they would get a home quickly once she cleaned them up. She said poodles go quick. The kids each contributed $20 each and I am sending her a check today. Nice lady and I know she spends her personal money taking care of these dogs she rescues.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
another nice ending to a dog story

So much better than the awful ones on the news lately. I can't even read them anymore..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio