U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM

114,169 posts, read 54,158,927 times

Advertisements

My three kids were all in g/t programs. The youngest boy and girl twins got the two highest scores on the Taas Tests in fifth grade. This was all of fifth grade, boy1st girl2nd. We weren't surprised because we read to them a lot. They read a lot themselves as they got older. Trouble is, they were far enough ahead of the other students teachers used them. They would have them trying to teach other students. As you might imagine this turned students against them. We decided to home school the twins anyway. Big mistake, we were well intentioned but not prepared. They lost something not attending public school. The oldest an under achiever in H.S. (bored) is now our greatest achiever! They're all three very smart not geniuses probably.
Your kids can appear ahead of others for a variety of reasons. There are true geniuses of varying degrees of course. Ours lost a great G/T teacher early on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
Talking some resources and a connection...

Hi Mojokitty,

I know that sorting through the opinions of various people can be confusing, especially when it comes to something as important as your little one. I was a gifted child that went through the system, and I'm now a teacher working with a very gifted little one as a private educator.

That said, here's a couple of things for you...
Resources:
1.The public library has tons of great books on gifted children...I know, as I checked them all out recently (typical gifted mania). But they're back now , and I found Being Smart about Gifted Children: A Guidebook for Parents and Educators to be quite helpful, (among others) at giving great information succinctly, but also specifically.

2. Get info on Texas gifted stuff here: [url=http://www.txgifted.org/]Welcome | Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented[/url]. They have info on state resources, local groups, and even a listserv if I'm not mistaken.
3. [url=http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/]Hoagies' Gifted Education Page: Parenting and educating gifted children[/url] This is one of the best general sites around (although it looks a little dated) for gifted info.

That'll give you a good start. Once you do a little reading, you'll start to find out that your little one (from what I can read here) is a pretty 'normal' gifted youngster. Being highly advanced in one specific area--but not all--is referred to as 'asynchronous development', and is pretty common with gifted kids. Many people have the misconception that if you're gifted, you must be brilliant at everything, but that's generally not the case. I think it's also pretty common to be very single-minded about a particular subject, and not want to follow along with activities that they consider a waste of their time, or that they already learned in the first five minutes. As far as intensity and sensitivity, do a google lookup of "overexcitabilities".

On Testing:
Most public schools won't test a child until they're in first-third grade--certainly not at the age of 3 or 4, though that doesn't make the child any less gifted. If you have a truly exceptional child, making in through the rigamorole of public school might prove challenging for the years before being formally 'identified'. So if you do want to have your child tested, you might consider using a private psychologist--that's what the parents of my gifted kid did, and I can refer you the person they used if you're interested. And again, a caveat: testing is in part about knowing how to take a test, and IQ tests are broadly faulty instruments at best. That said, they have their place, and they can be a useful piece of paperwork for dealing with curious people and government systems.

Last thoughts:
You'll have to remember that most likely, 95% of the world is not going to get your little one if he is gifted, so be careful of the opinions you take in (and when you have a child like that, it seems everyone has an opinion!). The child that I work with has had a rough time both in regular and Montessori preschool because he was just so far ahead of other kids (academically), and then also very intense and emotionally sensitive--both his former teachers (who didn't know anything about giftedness) and his fellow students had a hard time dealing with him, and wanted to ascribe all sorts of psychological disorders (ADD, ADHD, Asperger's etc) to him, when he's just gifted. I mean, what do you do with a kid that can explain the entire digestive system to you, but freaks out when he can find the Ohio piece to his puzzle? (btw, we just did a month-long study of the human body, which he loves also!)

Many folks I know are turning to homeschooling or private schooling these days to serve kids that just don't fit into normal boxes. That's part of why I love teaching as a private educator...I try to give kids the education I wish I'd had when I was a kid. If you have the time, or can afford a teacher, I think it's a great option (well, obviously!) . If you want to talk with myself, or the parents of 'my kid', please email me at [EMAIL="jaihawk@hotmail.com"]jaihawk@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]. We're trying our best to create community around gifted education for our little guy, just for support, and because there's not that many of us out there!

We're also interested in putting together a playgroup or co-op school so our asynchronous, brilliant youngsters can meet like minds (or just run around and be kids with someone who understands their vocabulary!) Anyway, good luck to you in this process, hope I was of help, and I hope to hear from you!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM

431 posts, read 644,147 times
if you think he is GT get him out of NEISD ASAP put him in a private school or BISD

Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,156 times
If you are interested in a private school option, look at Keystone School. The website is Keystone Private School San Antonio, Texas and information about the school is below.Mission The mission of Keystone School is to offer an accelerated K 12 curriculum to provide motivated students with a nationally recognized, well-rounded educational experience in a supportive, inclusive environment that encourages academic excellence, ethical growth, community involvement, and responsible leadership. Identity Keystone School, chartered by the State of Texas as a non-profit organization, is a co-educational, independent school for grades K-12, accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest. Approximately 430 students attend. Philosophy Founded to meet the intellectual needs of academically talented children and to reward them for scholastic distinction, Keystone focuses on a core curriculum, which encourages students to pursue knowledge, develop study habits, and master skills useful to their future success. The school believes that when given the opportunity, encouragement, and means to think more deeply and comprehensively, young people will respond with enthusiasm and energy to go beyond the demands of a standard curriculum. Essential to the accomplishment of Keystone's mission are teachers skilled in fostering intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, small classes which encourage close relationships between faculty and students both inside and outside the classroom, the ready availability of teachers and technology as resources, and a variety of activities beyond the core curriculum. Keystone strives to foster excellence, not only in its academic program, but in its extracurricular activities as well. It seeks to offer students opportunities to use and expand their skills and interests through athletics, fine arts, science fairs, academic contests, publications, field trips, and service both to the school and the community. Such activities help students develop a sense of personal accomplishments and confidence, offer opportunities for leadership and teamwork, encourage self-discipline, and develop a sense of responsibility.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 PM

12 posts, read 44,386 times
Whatever else, remember you are your kid's trusted advocate, and don't let anyone bully you into not insisting he get what he needs. I was even asked to sign a "waiver" when my daughter wanted to skip first grade..that stated that I was solely responsible for the damage that skipping a grade would do to her socially.

Kids this smart will rebel against being asked to do stuff they think is beneath them by adults the kid may well recognize as being less bright than the kid.is

They also can rebel against testing for other reasons.

My daughter decided at 2 1/2 that she wanted to go to school. She was having temper tantrums because she couldn’t read. We went to visit different preschools, but she didn’t like the ones we went to…they weren’t doning any work.

We were referred to a gifted preschool by a neighbor. The minimum IQ was 130. My girl visited, and said “this is it.I want to go to this one.” She was so excited, she couldn’t wait.

So we had to get her tested. They tell you not to say anything to the kids ahead of time that will prejudice them about the test, or make them feel pressured.

About 20 minutes into the testing, my daughter stopped answering his questions. She would not tell him what the clear stuff in a window was called. On the way home, I asked her why she wouldn't tell him it was glass.

She said "You said I would get to do puzzles. There weren't any puzzles there."
I said, "I meant word and drawing type puzzles, but its okay, you had already got enough questions right to be able to get into that school."

She looked at me, “Why didn’t you tell me it was to get into the school! I didn’t know it was important!”

The best advice about schoolong (this was 28 years ago) from the district GT guy at NEISD, was to send her to public schools first, and save my money so I would be able to afford private school when she outgrew the public school system. As a junior, she really needed out of public school, and ended up going to a collge prep school in the East.(also her choice, just like preschool....She brought home a catalog and said "Look! This school has a curriculum that deserves me!)

Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,579 times
Default a licensed psychologist who is doing IQ test for kids

Can somebody advise a licensed psychologist who is doing IQ test for kids (our son is 8 years old)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or