U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,343,014 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of someone or a program that deals with gifted children? I am looking to get my son tested, and was wondering if anyone would have any information on this? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,326,125 times
How old is he?? The local elementary school should offer something like that. I would start with them.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,994,947 times
I agree, begin with the elementary school.
Also, gifted in what way/area?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,219,532 times
NEISD has a very good G/T program. Each elementary school has a dedicated G/T teacher who pulls out the G/T kids from their regular classes for 1 day a week. The teachers recommend kids for testing, or parents can request it. I believe they screen all kids for G/T at some point, but I don't recall if that's done in K or 1st grade.

In the NEISD middle schools, there are G/T versions of Math and English and in the high schools, there are Pre-AP and AP classes available.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 PM

He is 3 right now, going to be 4 in August. He will start pre-school then, so we haven't had him in school yet. I just think I'd like to get him tested. He just seems very intelligent for his age. I know all parents say that, but I really see something unique with him.
Oh, and we adopted him, so there isn't any link between what my husband and my IQ's or intelligence is. So, that is another reason that I'd really like for a professional to see him. I don't know exactly what to look for with him.

His vocabulary is amazing. He loves to learn about certain things, right now he is especially into the body and how things work. He could tell you all types of things about how the heart, lungs, muscles, brains work. He is very curious and busy. He loves to "explore" and sometimes I need to keep a very close eye on him so he doesn't wander off. His imagination is like nothing I've seen on a 3 yr old. The questions NEVER stop. Instead of looking at fish in the aquarium, he wants to see where the filter is or how it works. He loves to try to take things apart to see how they work or he wants to know what makes things go. He is also very creative with manipulation to my husband and I. He will come up with all sorts of schemes or solutions to get around my husband and my rules. I know this isn't describing him very well, makes him seem like a normal 3 yr old, but I as well as others sort of see something special in him. I'm always being told how smart he is for 3 by other people. I'm NOT trying to brag, I'm just trying to get him possibly into a program that can suit him better if that be the case. If not, then I'm trying to direct him in a way to embrace his intelligence. Thanks for your help and understanding!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
So, that is another reason that I'd really like for a professional to see him. I don't know exactly what to look for with him.
Maybe the G/T teacher at the elementary he'll attend in a couple of years could point you to some resources?

I'd point you to the San Antonio chapter of Mensa, but I know that they don't have a G/T coordinator right now.

Contact Us (http://sanantonio.us.mensa.org/contact.htm - broken link)

Everything else you mentioned sounds promising. You might consider putting him in a rich (in content, not cost ) preschool program to stimulate his intellect and creativity. My G/T kids attended an arts-centered preschool that was ideal for them, but that was before we moved here. I'm not sure what the local equivalent would be.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Maybe the G/T teacher at the elementary he'll attend in a couple of years could point you to some resources?

I'd point you to the San Antonio chapter of Mensa, but I know that they don't have a G/T coordinator right now.

Contact Us (http://sanantonio.us.mensa.org/contact.htm - broken link)

Everything else you mentioned sounds promising. You might consider putting him in a rich (in content, not cost ) preschool program to stimulate his intellect and creativity. My G/T kids attended an arts-centered preschool that was ideal for them, but that was before we moved here. I'm not sure what the local equivalent would be.
Bowie, thank you for your support. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just being a mom and saying "my kid is special" or if he really has something there? Then, someone who I know or maybe don't know will say how smart he is and I think, maybe he really is. Would it be alright to DM you with maybe a few questions if you know anything else about being a gifted child? There are some concerns I have and if you know more about it, then it would really help out! Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Bowie, thank you for your support. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just being a mom and saying "my kid is special" or if he really has something there? Then, someone who I know or maybe don't know will say how smart he is and I think, maybe he really is. Would it be alright to DM you with maybe a few questions if you know anything else about being a gifted child? There are some concerns I have and if you know more about it, then it would really help out! Thanks again!
Sure thing... but I'm no expert. I just happen to have a couple of G/Ters.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,326,125 times
Quote:

Both of my daughters were in the G/T program in elem. Now one is in Middle school taking Pre AP courses and one is in High School taking college courses.

It is not silly to think that your kid is gifted. I know what you are talking about though. I remember the first day of kinder of my oldest one, I told the teacher that she could read and the teacher didn't respond. Then about a week or so later I was at the school and the teacher said "guess what your kid did today?". I'm thinking "oh great, what did she do". The teacher said "she read to the class!!!". I was like "duh"

There are lots of good programs out there for g/t kids. I wish I would have kept some of the paperwork I had. The elem schools definitely have stuff for you to look over. There are even groups for parents of g/t kids. I never got involved though.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM

I guess since I'm getting a couple of responses from parents of G/T kids, then I'll just voice my concerns or rather questions here.

My son, with some areas seems SO advanced. Then, this past preschool year the teacher said he tested as one of the lowest ones in the entire class. This was based on recognizing letters (though he knows the alphabet A-Z he can't recognize the letters), recognizing numbers (he knows how to count, but can't tell you which numbers are which), shapes, writing his name, and colors. The teacher said they tried to get him to do it but he acted like he had no intrest in even doing the testing. Therefore, they said he was the lowest in the whole class. Now, I know my son knows colors, and can reg. some letters and numbers and shapes. I KNOW he can write his name too, I've seen him do it. Then, he can spout off facts about the body or come up with this amazingly detailed story. He can tell you things he's heard or learned. His memory is AMAZING! He can tell you something he experienced months and months ago. Sometimes I forget what he is talking about then it's like "oh yeah...we did see a green bug at the park...3 months ago!"

My concern is...maybe I am just getting over excited about him being gifted. Were your children better in some areas than others? Do you know if there are different degrees or areas of giftedness? How are they tested? Any thoughts for me moms. If you truely think I'm over reacting...please let me know so that I can let this rest in my mind. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or