U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,829,797 times

Advertisements

So the guys came back out again today and finished up. Apparently someone laid new wires this afternoon, but only put the cable on top of the grass and painted it bright orange. Got a sprinkler mast really well too (like I didn't know it's there?).

Is this something I get to bury, or is someone going to come back out and do it? If I knew I'd have to bury 70 feet of wires underground I'd have just gone with cable. Has anybody else experienced something like this before? Just curious if this is normal.
Attached Thumbnails
U-verse Install Questions... Is this Normal?-hpim2769.jpg   U-verse Install Questions... Is this Normal?-hpim2770.jpg   U-verse Install Questions... Is this Normal?-hpim2771.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:09 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
I can't speak for at&t, but when TWC did that, two guys came out a few days later with one of those trench digging things and buried it, sorta.. they also made quite a bit of a mess and kicked up quite a few rocks. Unfortunately it's technically not my land, so I couldn't say anything.. stupid easements..

Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Greaaat... I may try and hide some of it on my own, just to keep things neat then.

Everything seems to be going ok so far. My only 'gotcha' besides this is that the two boxes are downstairs. Upstairs in the office I have two computers sharing a keyboard and screen that used to be on my router. Neither have wi-fi cards because they never needed it with the router *right there.* They only had one of these antenna things to install, which plug into the USB slot (I hate USB network connections), so I get to add an ethernet jack downstairs and run cable up through the attic to the office so I can install my router and bring the network back up. Or buy two wi-fi cards.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM

129 posts, read 301,010 times
They'll be out in a week or so to bury it. I had it done last week, looks like nothing ever happened in my yard.

Orange is so you don't run over it. Water washes it away.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Ok, well here's to hoping that my results will be similar. With the drought going on I'm more worried about the grass not growing back than anything else.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM

778 posts, read 2,223,124 times
Other than the orange yard, how's the TV look?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM

A whole heck of a lot better than over the air HDTV looked! It was hard to grab a signal. Back in Seattle I had regular cable on a 26 inch tv that was 16 years old. Big difference from here to there. U-verse broadcasts in 1080i and 720p. Not sure which of the two would be better... I'm watching on a new 47 inch set that's capable of 1080p from about 12 feet back from the set. Honestly at this point I think the biggest limitation is whatever the program you're watching was recorded at.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 857,336 times
As everyone else has said, they come back in a few days to bury the cable. They trench with something that is not much wider than a saw blade. Once they do it, you will barely even be able to tell they buried it.

And the 2HD rollout schedule was leaked this week. SA should get 2HD int he last 2 weeks of june.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Greaaat... I may try and hide some of it on my own, just to keep things neat then.

Everything seems to be going ok so far. My only 'gotcha' besides this is that the two boxes are downstairs. Upstairs in the office I have two computers sharing a keyboard and screen that used to be on my router. Neither have wi-fi cards because they never needed it with the router *right there.* They only had one of these antenna things to install, which plug into the USB slot (I hate USB network connections), so I get to add an ethernet jack downstairs and run cable up through the attic to the office so I can install my router and bring the network back up. Or buy two wi-fi cards.
just hook those devices up to another wireless router via CAT 5 and have the extra router act as a bridge.. Wireless USB should be avoided IMO.

more info here: AnandTech - HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge

Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
just hook those devices up to another wireless router via CAT 5 and have the extra router act as a bridge.. Wireless USB should be avoided IMO.

more info here: AnandTech - HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge
That completely escaped my mind... it's a nice wireless router, maybe a little over a year old. Either a Linksys or Netgear. I'd love to avoid running cat 5 from the living room to the office because it's hot up there in the attic.

And yeah, maybe I'm a snob but I've always avoided networking through USB. Plugging in my camera last night to get some pictures already dropped my network connection. It's just a poor solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio