Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times

Advertisements

Guess who is thinking of following in the footsteps of TWC and cable.-

NEW YORK (AP) -- AT&T Inc., the country's largest Internet provider, is considering charging extra for customers who download large amounts of data.

"A form of usage-based pricing for those customers who have abnormally high usage patterns is inevitable," spokesman Michael Coe said this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
The top 5 percent of AT&T's DSL customers use 46 percent of the total bandwidth, Coe said. Overall bandwidth use on the network is surging, doubling every year and a half.

AT&T doesn't have any specific plans or fees to announce yet, Coe said.

Most cable companies have official or secret caps on the amount of data they allow subscribers to download every month. Time Warner Cable started a trial earlier this month in Beaumont, Texas, under which it will charge subscribers who go over their monthly bandwidth cap $1 per gigabyte.

AT&T looking at charging heavy Internet users extra: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Actually AT&T has been talking about doing this to their business customers for years. Their original concept was to give bandwidth priority to internet businesses that wanted to pay extra for premium service. This was met with much opposition by the proponent of Net Neutrality.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post

NEW YORK (AP) -- AT&T Inc., the country's largest Internet provider, is considering charging extra for customers who download large amounts of data.

"A form of usage-based pricing for those customers who have abnormally high usage patterns is inevitable," spokesman Michael Coe said this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
The top 5 percent of AT&T's DSL customers use 46 percent of the total bandwidth, Coe said. Overall bandwidth use on the network is surging, doubling every year and a half.

Most cable companies have official or secret caps on the amount of data they allow subscribers to download every month. Time Warner Cable started a trial earlier this month in Beaumont, Texas, under which it will charge subscribers who go over their monthly bandwidth cap $1 per gigabyte.

AT&T looking at charging heavy Internet users extra: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

So, then, if TWC begins charging across the board, beyond just Beaumont, TX, that will very possibly affect those of us that work from home!!! Why can't they just set a flat fee home user rate and flat fee work-from-home user and flat fee business user?
Good Lord, as an Independent contractor, with sporadic work lately to begin with, I spend an inordinate amount of money on paper, INK !!!!! LAWDY INK!!!, , postage, other office supplies, ENVELOPES...

I know I"m going to end up working for and retiring from one of the Dollar Stores, I just know it......

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,125 times
Quote:
They didn't spend millions of dollars with lobbyists on capital hill, and billions of dollars in acquisitions just to give people free internet.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
They didn't spend millions of dollars with lobbyists on capital hill, and billions of dollars in acquisitions just to give people free internet.

Huh? Please read the article. No one said anything about FREE.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:

ADVERTISEMENT

everything is going up theese days. and all I got to say is I dont care If people want more bandwith then they should upgrade their plans. No one is going to give you anything free will they?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
everything is going up theese days. and all I got to say is I dont care If people want more bandwith then they should upgrade their plans. No one is going to give you anything free will they?
NO, but TWC and ATT were my number 1 and 2 choices. If they both charge per usage, I guess I'll be looking for number 3.

This just in, SAWs will be charging per dung flushed down the toilet. So try to scoop them up in your hands and ball them into one piece of dung to help save money.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM

259 posts, read 909,808 times
Quote:
I'm already paying $55/month for TW's topmost tier of Internet service. There's no upgrade available, but if they switch to the proposed 40GB cap with $1/GB surcharge I'll wind up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 per month. Sounds more like greed than a case of simple inflation, no? And I'm sure they'll be happy to charge lesser users per byte, too, and will cheerfully refund their money if they use less than their allotted bandwidth. Yeah, right. And surely this has nothing to do with TW wanting to strangle the new Netflix unlimited streaming movies plan - it's not like TW offers movies on demand, right?

At TW's 15Mb/second advertised speed, you'll hit their 40GB cap with only 10 minutes of downloading per day. That's 5 hours per month, but I'll bet they never (truthfully) advertise that their Internet service costs $11 per hour.

I'll break my 2-year contract in a heartbeat if TW enacts such a ridiculous plan.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:08 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
the down side theres only TWC and ATT as number 1 and 2, if that ever happened to me, Ill go satelite their prices are about 100-120 per months and their speeds are over T3. which I think it stands for 3 Terrabits

Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,572 times
Quote:
the down side theres only TWC and ATT as number 1 and 2, if that ever happened to me, Ill go satelite their prices are about 100-120 per months and their speeds are over T3. which I think it stands for 3 Terrabits
T3: 44736 kbps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio