Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 11,721 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Dallas to San Antonio to live with my boyfriend who is stationed there. The very first weekend I am down there, we will have to board my dog. I searched around on the internet and found the Pet Mecial Center. I was just curious if anyone has ever used their vetrinary service/boarding and what they thought.

Also, my boyfriend is wanting to take my dog into the vet at Lackland for shot updates and I am just not sure if the services are going to be any cheaper than just taking her to a civialian vet. Does anyone know the positives vs. negatives for a civilian vet vs on base one?

I may be over analyzing the whole deal, but I just want to make sure she gets quality care and I'm not paying crazy amounts of money for a civilian vet if the one on base is just as good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh, we live down by Lackland but he works over at Brooks City Base. And I will be working at the Bank of America building near the airport. So any recommendations of boarding places near that would be awesome!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,386,486 times
We always take ours to Camp Bow Wow on Jones-Maltsberger. It's close to your office at the BofA bldg. We've been incredibly happy with the treatment and care she gets there.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,945,191 times
+1 ---->Camp Bow-Wow.

I checked out other places and they are pricey; nickle & dime you: "Oh, let's see... wanna give your dog 15 minutes of play time? That'll be $5 extra."

I took Kevcrawford's advice in a previous post some time ago, and checked out Camp Bow-Wow. We were thoroughly impressed with their process, facility, staff, and price. They will take care of your dog as if it was their own. They are good.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Awesome. I will take a look. Thanks guys! I have a great place here in Dallas and am sad to leave it, but this is life. Especially life when the military is involved!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM

759 posts, read 3,677,276 times
My all time fav place to board my dog is Pawderosa Ranch- Pawderosa Ranch

It is right by the airport.... however, during the day the dogs are not in kennels... they get to run around and play all day long They temperament test each dog and will absolutely not let your dog stay stay w/out being temperament tested first. My dog loves it and comes home so tired!!!! It's also fun bc you can watch them on a web cam playing. I feel great leaving my pup there

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,109,480 times
Hi IANative, not much help on the dog front since I dont have a pet down here but wanted to say an early welcome from another military spouse. Any clue when you guys will be down here? I live across the street from the BoA pyramid

Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 36,043 times
we use pet med center and have been happy with them. nice, clean and good prices. i have no problem leaving our pooch there. good luck and welcome!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,809,810 times
When living overseas we used the base vets. Never had any problems. We haven't used them here at Lackland because when we got here our dog had some special issues that needed fixing so we found a local vet who referred us to a surgeon. Unless things have changed with the base vet, they strictly do health exams, vaccinations, etc. Nothing else. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you could make an appointment today and not get in for a month (my friend encountered that recently) because their first priority are the military working dogs.

There are lots of great vets in the area. I don't know about your area...but there are CD'ers on here who will give you good rec's.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the help! Once I get down there I will check out the different dog suggestions in person. Nothing beats getting to walk through the kennels and see how they are taken care of. I (or should I say my dog)had a terrible experience with a kennel once and ever since I have been very careful as to where I take her.

My boyfriend is already down there and rents a house off base Near Potranco and 1604. I will be moving down next weekend and then I start work on the 23rd. These next two weeks will be crazy!

Thanks so much for being so welcoming! Im so excited to make the move, but it's still a little daunting at the same time.

AFWife- How do you like the area near the BoA Pyramid? I haven't gotten a chance to check out the area. All I know is there is a mall across the street, so I will need to stay clear of that over my lunch hours!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:41 PM

486 posts, read 1,109,480 times
IANative, the area is a bit noisy at times down here but not bad. yes there is a mall and its pretty decent Wont it be a bit of a commute for you from Potranco and 1604 to 410 and San Pedro? Also, I am not sure about brooks city but most bases down here are strict about non id holders being able to get on base unless you can arrange for b/f to be with you to check out the base vet, you may have to find out about a visitors pass etc. Just a heads up. Feel free to ask questions around here we are easy going and if you get bored check out the off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio