U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 AM

436 posts, read 1,442,577 times

Advertisements

I have been researching homes and we would love to have a "green" home(energy efficient, not color).

It seems like a lot of the new homes have similar features- radiant barrier, 14 seer A/C, etc. But it does seem like Weekley and Coventry homes tout energy efficiency more than the rest. Do you think they are better built, or is this a marketing gimic? (I am familiar with weekley homes here in Dallas, but Coventry is a new name to me.)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,311,197 times
A lot of what builders tout as "green" are the standards. However, there are some that are starting to actually build a more energy efficient home. It really depends on what price range you're looking in. I've got a client that I'm helping build a Weekley home right now, and so far, I'm pleased with the progress. I try to walk it at least once a week and the quality of the home is good. They've also been very responsive to the problems I've found. It should be a very efficient house.

There are more out there, but without knowing the price range, it's hard to say which ones.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,336,283 times
We live in an energy efficient neighborhood by Medallion. I would look at their homes. Like Kevin said, we don't know your price range...so it's hard to help! If you would like more information, please DM me!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM

109 posts, read 356,516 times
Imagine Homes is a Build San Antonio Green certified builder. Incidentally, Imagine Homes is owned by John Freisenhahn (formerly of Medallion Homes).

My problem with them is that we went through the process of having one of their houses built and when it came down to the final inspection my 5 year old was pointing out structural issues. We cancelled our contract with them and were forced to rent a home (since we were planning on moving in a month and had to find something quick). The home we rented is a Medallion built around the time Freisenhahn was with them and has some of the same issues. Odd.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,609,997 times
Meritage Homes builds Energy Star homes. They have radiant barrier for roof and efficient AC, but also include radiant barrier in other parts of the house.

--Dim

Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM

436 posts, read 1,442,577 times
thanks for the info. I am looking in the $300-$350 range for around a 3200 sq ft home. I am looking off i-10 right now.

thanks for letting me know a lot of it is standard now... I had no idea (other than I knew it was at least 13 seer from replacing mine a few years ago).

Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 AM

47 posts, read 114,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
I have been researching homes and we would love to have a "green" home(energy efficient, not color).

It seems like a lot of the new homes have similar features- radiant barrier, 14 seer A/C, etc. But it does seem like Weekley and Coventry homes tout energy efficiency more than the rest. Do you think they are better built, or is this a marketing gimic? (I am familiar with weekley homes here in Dallas, but Coventry is a new name to me.)

thanks!
We are currently having a Weekly home built. Check out their website for standard plan features: David Weekley Homes - The Preserve at Alamo Ranch 70' Homesites

R-38 blown and R-22 batt insulation in ceilings
R-15 exterior walls using R-13 batt insulation and R-2
Weathermate Tuff-R rigid wall sheathing
Two stage polysealant around base plates, doors, windows, and electrical outlets and switches after drywall to prevent air infiltration
Trane 15 SEER rated air conditioning system and 90%+ natural gas furnace
Aprilaire fresh air system connected to the HVAC system to bring in filtered outside air
Radiant Barrier roof decking for cooler attic
temperature and superior energy efficiency
DOW Sill Seal between slab and exterior plate to control moisture penetration
Champion vinyl framed LoE2 double-pane windows for ultraviolet protection
CFL light bulbs at selected locations
Environments for Living Program Diamond Level certification with comfort guarantee - 50% reduction in heating and cooling usage
Third party inspections and testing during construction to ensure high energy efficiency standards are met
ENERGY STAR Partner
CPS Energy Smart EnergyBuilder

Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 23,637 times
i built my house in georg ranch in garden ridge with adam michael homes. you guys should check them out. i had a great experience with them. the owner actually supervised the entire house. he was there all the time. great person. they did some green stuff but the same things that you guys are talking about above. you should check them out. Custom Homes San Antonio, Adam Michael Homes

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 38,404 times
We have been in our Coventry home for about a year and a half now (off of I-10). We feel that our heating and cooling bills have been quite reasonable for our home. Plus we have been extremely happy with their response to small problems that have arisen. Good luck with your searching.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,187,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF-24 View Post
We are currently having a Weekly home built. Check out their website for standard plan features: David Weekley Homes - The Preserve at Alamo Ranch 70' Homesites

R-38 blown and R-22 batt insulation in ceilings
R-15 exterior walls using R-13 batt insulation and R-2
Weathermate Tuff-R rigid wall sheathing
Two stage polysealant around base plates, doors, windows, and electrical outlets and switches after drywall to prevent air infiltration
Trane 15 SEER rated air conditioning system and 90%+ natural gas furnace
Aprilaire fresh air system connected to the HVAC system to bring in filtered outside air
Radiant Barrier roof decking for cooler attic
temperature and superior energy efficiency
DOW Sill Seal between slab and exterior plate to control moisture penetration
Champion vinyl framed LoE2 double-pane windows for ultraviolet protection
CFL light bulbs at selected locations
Environments for Living Program Diamond Level certification with comfort guarantee - 50% reduction in heating and cooling usage
Third party inspections and testing during construction to ensure high energy efficiency standards are met
ENERGY STAR Partner
CPS Energy Smart EnergyBuilder
I must say that is truly an impressive list. I love the standard 15-SEER unit and vinyl clad windows. I have double pane low-e windows but they aren't vinyl clad. I have the Aprilaire system and it is great. I am surprised that many builders do not offer radiant barrier. It was a $500.00 option on my house which we selected. In the Pulte neighborhoods we shopped (but didn't buy) I was shocked to find out that Pulte doesn't even offer radiant barrier as an upgrade. That is something that is so hard and expensive to have done after the fact. The foam insulation on all outlet boxes is an energy star standard.

Energy efficient building methods need to improve for the long term health of our environment and pocket books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or