U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times

Advertisements

If you don't plan on keeping this stuff for long or simply don't really care and just want to full a lot of space, I'd go with RoomStore, IKEA or Lacks Scratch & Dent on Walzem. You can find furniture to fill a space, but probably won't get quality or stuff that will hold up past a couple of years.

And btw, $5k for all of that furniture is a DEAL. Sure, it's probably all laminate, but it's also big and comfy. RoomStore doesn't sell beautiful stuff, but it's sure useful.

Don't EVER rent anything: Not from Aarons or Rentacenter. It's a total gyp. What you pay in finance charges is ridiculous and they refuse to report your good payment history to the credit bureaus. Total crap. Buyer beware.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,098,297 times
I would suggest Fisher Furniture behind the Northstar Mall. You can look around and shop with no one bothering you. If you need help or would like to order something, you just go to the counter. They have a really great selection.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:44 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,261,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
We just spent about $5k at the Roomstore for; curved sofa, dining table(marble top), 6 chairs, 3 pictures, 3 pieces of theater room seating & 2 lamps. We thought that was alot for the price?
Roomstore = "poke your eyes out" not a place I would go to buy furniture as they are way to expensive there...

OP is looking for inexpensive furniture.. I would assume.. garage sales.. you find your best pieces there sometimes.. and very cheap.. other then that.. there really isnt any cheap places.. Walmart may sell.. but their stuff is "cheap" do not expect it to last for long...

Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,608,417 times
or in todays classifieds, bargain basement, free furniture, go pick it up.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
Fisher's is great. They have a mix of expensive and inexpensive. I have bought some of the higher end pieces and art for myself. But when my kids went off to college, we used them to furnish their apartments with less expensive ashley/coaster type of furniture.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:49 PM

55 posts, read 147,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
so i'm moving into a new apt and i'm looking for some decent furniture
kind of modern style looking but for good price
anyone know of any good stores?
or even better, anyone know of any stores that got sales goin on right now?

price range = on tv stand + coffee table + sofas / or sectional = 2000.00

ps: is rentacenter a good idea?
thanks!

try sofa mart. You can get a nice set minus the tv stand for about 1000.00. Pretty nice to.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,098,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
If you don't plan on keeping this stuff for long or simply don't really care and just want to full a lot of space, I'd go with RoomStore, IKEA or Lacks Scratch & Dent on Walzem. You can find furniture to fill a space, but probably won't get quality or stuff that will hold up past a couple of years.

And btw, $5k for all of that furniture is a DEAL. Sure, it's probably all laminate, but it's also big and comfy. RoomStore doesn't sell beautiful stuff, but it's sure useful.

Don't EVER rent anything: Not from Aarons or Rentacenter. It's a total gyp. What you pay in finance charges is ridiculous and they refuse to report your good payment history to the credit bureaus. Total crap. Buyer beware. BN

Took the words right out of my mouth on renting furniture. I have NEVER understood doing this... except maybe if you only truly needed something for just a month!? My partner's mom bought her stove, fridge, and other appliances this way. Dumb dumb dumb. With just two week's worth of payments she could have bought a NICE second hand fridge and stove with a 90 day warranty from one of the many used appliance stores in town. She paid them off eventually and probably paid triple the regular price of the same items new at any "normal" retail store.

As for cheaper furnishings I vote Goodwill, other thrift stores, and Craigslist. I would always check the thrift stores first. Gosh, when I look around my house I realize that almost everything in this house was purchased either at GW, a thrift, or Craigslist. Nothing was bought NEW, furniture wise.. and no, it doesn't look like a college dorm room with cinder block shelving either. The only thing not bought at a thrift was my deco era armoire which was purchased for $140 at an antique shop that was going out of business. That sucker is huge, and was necessary as this house is around 100 years old and doesn't have many closets.

I have an antique wrought iron bed, a corner computer desk from Ikea (but bought from a Stone Oak Craigslister and carried home in a convertible I was driving at the time), an eggplant purple loveseat and corner chair (perfect match but bought from 2 different craigslist people), a large "chair and a half" with ottoman in sage green, my son's wood futon, a large entertainment armoire (solid wood and custom painted), the other son's loft bed, blah blah blah. All of it was bought second hand and none of it looks like it. Plus it's the ultimate in recycling!

If you have a truck or can get one I recommend checking out Austin Craigslist too. It just seems to be a bit more active and I've found much more unique/funky furniture items there (like the purple living room furniture).

Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,987,444 times
I have alot of decent antiques I am looking to sale for cheap.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 PM

226 posts, read 820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
so i'm moving into a new apt and i'm looking for some decent furniture
kind of modern style looking but for good price
anyone know of any good stores?
or even better, anyone know of any stores that got sales goin on right now?

price range = on tv stand + coffee table + sofas / or sectional = 2000.00

ps: is rentacenter a good idea?
thanks!
I would buy your TV stand at wal mart or costco $200. Check out the Pottery Barn outlet store in San Marcos and you can probably find a good deal on your sofas and coffee table. If was the right time of year, I would recommend Costco. They discount their furniture signifcantly as they move out furniture for other type of goods. I bought a Natuzzi leather couch for $500 - other stores it cost $1500. In fact I just about furnished my entire new home with Costco's closeout furniture and did it at a fire sale for really good quality stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio