Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:33 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

I really need suggestions here.

I have a front yard we also call the "cat box", because it's dry and nothing but dirt and the cat's use it like a sandbox... if ya know what I mean.

It used to have something grass-like when we bought the house last year but I neglected it and now it's just dirt. There are two small trees (mountain laurels) that make it shady in parts throughout the day.

I should tell you I do NOT want grass. The front yard is small, I hate to mow, and I don't want to have to worry about grass dying during dry periods. So my grand plan was to use a groundcover, and I'd picked Asiatic Jasmine (I started a thread about it in fact)..

But now I'm broke and in order to buy the 4" Jasmine plants, even on sale at $.88 a piece, I'd need way too many for what I can afford right now to make a difference in beginning to cover the surface.

As you can see from the pics (camera phone, sorry about the quality) I do have grass and clover and weeds growing in the sunnier parts of the yard.

So here's my new idea: I was thinking of trying to grow SOMETHING there that I can start from seed. Not grass! I don't even care if it's a little tall as long as it's pretty... no one ever walks over there anyway except for me when i tend to my little herb garden on that side. So it could be a groundcover, or flowers, or???

I have no idea what I can start easily from seed and without buying a bunch of soil or compost or whatever ($$$). The soil there is typical, clay like, kinda rocky. I have an esperanza in the corner and some agave along the fence line. What could I plant by seed that would fill in the yard and give it some color and attractiveness yet not get crazy tall, forcing me to mow... oh and that would also be relatively drought tolerant?

I saw lovely pics of creeping thyme and creeping phlox but I have no idea if those plants grow here, or if they'll deal well in both full sun and part shade.

Any ideas for the holy grail of plants for this dirt patch?

TIA!

Here are pics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
lots of xeriscape plants very cheap at the nurseries. also I've seen at Lowes, every Monday morning, they throw out what didnt sell over the weekend, at least the one on 151 & 410, tons of plants go to the dumpster every Monday morn. I pick up a friend for carpool every day, and monday morn, dumpster is full.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
lots of xeriscape plants very cheap at the nurseries. also I've seen at Lowes, every Monday morning, they throw out what didnt sell over the weekend, at least the one on 151 & 410, tons of plants go to the dumpster every Monday morn. I pick up a friend for carpool every day, and monday morn, dumpster is full.
No way, really!?

So would you think it would look crazy to just have a wild assortment of plants in place of a "yard" with grass and all?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM

crazier than dirt?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
crazier than dirt?
LOL well, the dirt isn't really obvious unless you're close up. But you have a point! And anything that prevents me having to "scoop" cat poop from the front yard is an improvement! My yard looks bad right now, with this and the fact that someone stole my extension cord I use for the mower/weed eater.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 PM

and the good thing is, a lot of those plants will take root and live. I've picked up some and taken them back home, I live about two miles from there. They grow real well. water and little care. just not retail quality. I've seen other people out there lately so not sure if they dont get picked over too much any more, but cant beat the price.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,889 times
I had a neighbor who put lots of big rocks and a side walk, this helped in his water bill and maintenance of his yard.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I had a neighbor who put lots of big rocks and a side walk, this helped in his water bill and maintenance of his yard.
I was going to suggest mulch as a temporary measure. When you're ready to plant plants in a year or two, it'll be easier to remove mulch than rocks.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,889 times
Your talking just plain mulch that they use for surrounding trees? I've not seen that done. I'm wondering how that would look. Also, what about the problem of termites because of all the wood chips in the mulch?

Old 06-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Your talking just plain mulch that they use for surrounding trees? I've not seen that done. I'm wondering how that would look. Also, what about the problem of termites because of all the wood chips in the mulch?
Yep, inexpensive wood mulch can work fine as a temporary ground cover. Think of playgrounds that have wood mulch under the playground equipment as a cushion. Consider it a form of xeriscaping.

As long as it's not against the house, it shouldn't lead to a termite problem. The area in the picture didn't appear to be next to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio