U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,113,220 times
Reputation: 1605

Advertisements

OMG. My neighbor has someone else doing her yard. I think it's her family..... and I think they own the house and are VERY ANAL about the state of the yard at any given moment.

Regardless, they have picked Saturday morning, around 7am to mow, weedeat, chainsaw tree limbs, etc.

I know it's hot later in the day.. but 7 am on a Saturday just seems RUDE to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a night owl to be understanding. Good grief though. I wake up every Saturday wanting to throw something at them!!

Saturdays are for sleeping in!

Anyone agree with me? Not like it really matters.. I'm probably not going to say anything to them as it's not worth "starting trouble"... but I still think it's kinda inconsiderate. I'm just venting, really.

And don't get me started on the HONKERS. Grrrrrrrr. You know, the people who arrive and announce their arrival (and get the person they want to come out) by honking, repeatedly, at all hours. I think that's mainly a West side thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,711,662 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
OMG. My neighbor has someone else doing her yard. I think it's her family..... and I think they own the house and are VERY ANAL about the state of the yard at any given moment.

Regardless, they have picked Saturday morning, around 7am to mow, weedeat, chainsaw tree limbs, etc.

I know it's hot later in the day.. but 7 am on a Saturday just seems RUDE to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a night owl to be understanding. Good grief though. I wake up every Saturday wanting to throw something at them!!

Saturdays are for sleeping in!

Anyone agree with me? Not like it really matters.. I'm probably not going to say anything to them as it's not worth "starting trouble"... but I still think it's kinda inconsiderate. I'm just venting, really.

And don't get me started on the HONKERS. Grrrrrrrr. You know, the people who arrive and announce their arrival (and get the person they want to come out) by honking, repeatedly, at all hours. I think that's mainly a West side thing though.

I have landscapers come for my yard...once they showed up at 8:30 AM and I told them "no way, come back around 10". My family and I are usually up around 7...but I was concerned for the neighbors.
7 AM is too early for a lot of people. They should have more consideration, IMO. In NY,NJ and CA we had ordinances against that kind of noise before 10AM. I don't know what the laws are here in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 02:53 PM
 
529 posts, read 2,495,207 times
Reputation: 164
I understand your frustration. I have hypercusis and I'm very sensitive to noise. I hate lawn mowers, leaf blowers etc.. at any time of the day. But count your blessings. At least you have neighbors who care about the appearance of their yard. I think I'd rather be bothered a little by the noise than live next door to someone who never does anything to their yard. At my last house, I was always worried about rats and termites because my neighbor had piles and piles of trash. Plus they never mowed, never watered - the grass was completely gone and there were just high weeds.
Try some earplug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
OMG. My neighbor has someone else doing her yard. I think it's her family..... and I think they own the house and are VERY ANAL about the state of the yard at any given moment.

Regardless, they have picked Saturday morning, around 7am to mow, weedeat, chainsaw tree limbs, etc.

I know it's hot later in the day.. but 7 am on a Saturday just seems RUDE to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a night owl to be understanding. Good grief though. I wake up every Saturday wanting to throw something at them!!

Saturdays are for sleeping in!

Anyone agree with me? Not like it really matters.. I'm probably not going to say anything to them as it's not worth "starting trouble"... but I still think it's kinda inconsiderate. I'm just venting, really.

And don't get me started on the HONKERS. Grrrrrrrr. You know, the people who arrive and announce their arrival (and get the person they want to come out) by honking, repeatedly, at all hours. I think that's mainly a West side thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,113,220 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
I understand your frustration. I have hypercusis and I'm very sensitive to noise. I hate lawn mowers, leaf blowers etc.. at any time of the day. But count your blessings. At least you have neighbors who care about the appearance of their yard. I think I'd rather be bothered a little by the noise than live next door to someone who never does anything to their yard. At my last house, I was always worried about rats and termites because my neighbor had piles and piles of trash. Plus they never mowed, never watered - the grass was completely gone and there were just high weeds.
Try some earplug?
Well you know, it's really funny to me that THIS wakes me up yet I can sleep through 5 alarms. LOL.

Maybe I should offer them money to come monday through friday, just long enough to get me up and moving when I NEED to be up and moving?

There's a fine line, IMO between caring about the yard and being fanatic. Oh well, it could be worse... and I'd rather be woken by their yard stuff than by the other neighbors on the other side who are more likely to wake me up with police sirens or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 PM
 
380 posts, read 1,167,496 times
Reputation: 126
Then again you could always offer to do her yard for her and you can choose what time in the day to do it. You'd both win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
 
529 posts, read 2,495,207 times
Reputation: 164
Sometimes I wish my neighborhood could get together and we could all decided on a time to mow and do it all at the same time.
During some months when it's warm and rainy and the grass is going a lot, it seems like there is one long continuous sound of lawn mowers for 4 hours straight. As soon as one neighbor gets down mowing, the next one starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Well you know, it's really funny to me that THIS wakes me up yet I can sleep through 5 alarms. LOL.

Maybe I should offer them money to come monday through friday, just long enough to get me up and moving when I NEED to be up and moving?

There's a fine line, IMO between caring about the yard and being fanatic. Oh well, it could be worse... and I'd rather be woken by their yard stuff than by the other neighbors on the other side who are more likely to wake me up with police sirens or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
Reputation: 1785
Well, in theory I'd prefer they didn't use gas equipment later in the day (adding to pollution), but yes, 7AM is way too early!

The JW hall across the street had people coming in at 7am a few weekends in a row to work on their 'yard' - it's two patches of grass about 10ftx2ft and they were spending a couple of hours, along with gas mower, blower, edgers..... ARGHHHH! FInally our neighbor told them to come back later in the day, that this was unacceptable and we told the church the same. This is a pet peeve, they're not bad neighbors, but most of them don't live here in this neighborhood. They're not part of the 'hood and they treat it as a place they don't have to care about - I'm glad they want their 'yard' looking nice, but they don't give a crap about the neighbors. grrrr

Fortunately, after a few reminders, they finally stopped. Now if we could convince them to stop setting their car alarms every night, I'd be happy...

Oh, and I think after 8am is fine, although we generally wait to do mowing til the evening (as the grass is sometimes damp in the morning), but we also do a lot of work requiring power tools and we always wait til 9am to start the noise makers (we do non-noise generating stuff much earlier!)

Last edited by Chaka; 06-14-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
Reputation: 1785
You know, when I lived in Santa Barbara, the city banned leaf blowers on pollution grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,103,142 times
Reputation: 342
We had tree trimmers here all day w/ their saws going since 8 am. I always though 8ish was reasonable. I know all day is excessive but it was either they deal w/ the eye sore or we get the tree done. If it were the neighborr I wouldn't like it if the saws were going all day but we only get stuff done once in a while. If it went on every week I may say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: 1604 & Potranco Area
314 posts, read 724,202 times
Reputation: 385
Anything before 9am is just plain wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top