Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a nice place to take the wife for dinner next week. I've been looking through Yelp, but I'm finding two spectrum's and nothing in the middle. It's either "The Lodge" where it's super expensive and too uppity or too lower-end like Salt Grass. **No, I'm not saying Salt Grass is low end... I'm looking for a special occasion place**

Looking for suggestions to please the wife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I would recommend making a romantic dinner at home because everywhere is going to be packed. Noway would I want to go out to eat on Valentines.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
The Lodge sure is nice and we dressed up business casual and you do get some privacy between tables. We used a gift certificate from Restaurant.com and it helped us save immensely. Sadly, the website doesn't offer the certificates anymore. We did it at a non Valentine's day though.
What about Ruth Chris, The Melting Pot or Cool Cafe (downtown location)?
We don't celebrate Valentine's Day the day of but instead the weekend before to avoid the crowds. Just a thought.
Have a great evening whatever you decide.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I would recommend making a romantic dinner at home because everywhere is going to be packed. Noway would I want to go out to eat on Valentines.
Please don't take this as a snide response, but we do this every year. I know it's always packed... and that's why I'm asking now, so I can make reservations. If I wanted to eat at home, I would have asked for recommendations on good recipes to use at home.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
The Lodge sure is nice and we dressed up business casual and you do get some privacy between tables. We used a gift certificate from Restaurant.com and it helped us save immensely. Sadly, the website doesn't offer the certificates anymore. We did it at a non Valentine's day though.
What about Ruth Chris, The Melting Pot or Cool Cafe (downtown location)?
We don't celebrate Valentine's Day the day of but instead the weekend before to avoid the crowds. Just a thought.
Have a great evening whatever you decide.
Have you ever done the Melting Pot? What's it like?

We've done Ruth Chris's before, and that was great, but wanted to try and find something a bit unique to SA.

The Lodge also looks great... but my wife is sort of a finicky eater, and I'm afraid there isn't a lot of choices on the menu that's displayed on their site.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
and that was great, but wanted to try and find something a bit unique to SA.
Haven't tried Melting Pot but heard good things about it. It's fondue/french.
They have V-Day packages online: The Melting Pot of San Antonio - A Romantic, Fine Dining Fondue Restaurant
Cool Cafe has moved from downtown, I just called and its been moved to Stone Oak so not sure how the atmosphere is going to be at the new location.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
This place is North of San Antonio in Bulverde, but man it is a hidden gem! It is called Mike's in the Village! We were out on a drive and just stopped in, one of my favorite places! Mike's in the Village They have a 4 course meal on Valentine's Day and I don't know if that is to much for what you are looking for, but its different and not a chain !

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Wow, Mikes in the Village looks great. I'm also looking at the Melting Pot as well.. Hmm!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
I'm not a big fan of the Melting Pot. The desserts are awesome, but the entrees aren't anything special at all. We've usually gone to dinner one place and headed to melting pot for dessert.

Kirbys is great. Meson is a VERY romantic place and it's not horrible on the wallet. Not cheap, but not outrageous.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Have you tried Silo on 1604? They have good food and the ambiance is not too bad. Pricewise is at par with Melting Pot (say ~100/couple)

I also like Flemmings in Alamo Heights, but more expensive and perhaps not as romantic (at least the idea of eating a 32oz rib eye sounds to me less romantic)

Finaly, if you like sushi, I like Benihana in Castle Hills. moderate prices, good food, good enough ambiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio