U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM

178 posts, read 703,343 times

Advertisements

For those of you that left Holy Trinity what were your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM

265 posts, read 1,086,001 times
our reasons for wanting to move...we were offended by some recent comments in mass about catholics in the military (thou shalt not kill, "what would God want?") and in a big military town, this seemed off-putting. that day the deacon really used his homily for political statements. the msgr. also has rubbed us the wrong way in some sermons (in one he drew attention to a woman sitting on the edge of the baptismal font to tell her & everyone else that this was inappropriate...how embarrassing).
also, after joining the parish in april, our first and only contact from holy trinity was receiving our envelopes...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 34,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
our reasons for wanting to move...we were offended by some recent comments in mass about catholics in the military (thou shalt not kill, "what would God want?") and in a big military town, this seemed off-putting.
Funny how when the "message" isn't to our liking, we quickly resort to finding a way out and a place that will not ruffle our feathers. I may not always agree with the sermon, but I know it's meant to teach me something.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM

265 posts, read 1,086,001 times
No, funny is people who will continue to "follow along" like blind sheep even when the message begins taking a political slant, and outwardly promotes hostility toward certain groups.

I'm not accustomed to a Catholic priest using the altar to assert his political leanings and blatantly criticize the men and women protecting our freedom and serving our country. I imagine many of these people are Catholic and more still are Christian.

Our parish in Michigan included in its bulletin a list of military members to pray for, and seeing as how my husband and two brothers were on that list, I appreciated that. Supporting the military does not mean you don't strive for peace ultimately. But here in San Antonio where many, many people are stationed at one of the military bases in town, the priest and deacon at Holy Trinity chose to use mass to speak out against our servicemen and women, which to me, was offensive.

And yes, I will look for a parish that promotes messages of love and understanding, more clearly identifies with the faith I grew up in and doesn't ruffle my feathers. I don't think that's what Catholic church is about.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,263 times
Default Shrine of St. Padre Pio

Located off of Bulverde near Evans. Mass on Saturdays at 4:30, sundays at 8:30 and 10:30

Welcome to the Shrine of St. Padre Pio

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,156 times
Dont' forget about Atonement off of 1604, around UTSA. Very traditional, Latin masses.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
I'm not accustomed to a Catholic priest using the altar to assert his political leanings and blatantly criticize the men and women protecting our freedom and serving our country. I imagine many of these people are Catholic and more still are Christian.

Our parish in Michigan included in its bulletin a list of military members to pray for,
I'm surprised a priest would criticize the folks serving in the military. I assure you the majority of parishes here are PRO-military, since we are a military city.

Maybe the priest was talking about peace in the middle east? I think everybody wants that...so no more young americans are killed over there. What did he say regarding men/women in the military?

I'm going to ask some of my friends who attend that parish to hear what's going on at Holy Trinity. Sounds hard to believe!

(And all parishes I've ever attended send out donation envelopes along with their welcome letter in the mail.)

Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 AM

18 posts, read 56,585 times
Default Options

Coming from Stone Oak, I believe Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Evans Rd at I35) has a melting pot of people who are very friendly to the best of reports I have heard.

Also, a highly traditional church (Latin and incense included) which I have attended and is very friendly is the Church of the Ascension...I believe is the official name... just across 1604 at Babcock, back in the neighborhood. Just follow to the steeple. The pastor is a former Anglican and is married. Just a little different flavor and old fashioned to boot.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 36,930 times
The church at Babcock/1604 is called Our Lady of Atonement and I second the recommendation. The priest converted to Catholocism after leaving the Anglican priesthood (and that's why he is married with children). All Catholics are welcome to belong here and most of the parish are not former Anglicans, just ordinary Catholics. If you like stained glass, organ music, and a traditional liturgy you will enjoy this church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio