U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,091,933 times

Advertisements

I think my neighborhood has potential. It's Prospect Hill, on the near West side, with a rich history. Henry Cisneros is from here. Carol Burnett. Henry B. Gonzalez too. Lots of others that I don't remember the names of. Part of the original SA downtown! And close to the former red light district.

Okay, so maybe it's not QUITE as cute as Mahncke Park (I think I just killed that spelling again), or Lavaca, or Alta Vista... and it doesn't have as much in the way of unique/impressive/interesting architecture, but taken for what it IS, a working class historic neighborhood with modest, but well built homes from the early 1900's to the 1920's (there are some post WWII homes thrown in too)... well... I just can't help dreaming about revitalization. Imagine what a bunch of restoration-minded folks could do. Most of the houses just need some "un-muddling"! A few neighbors have done some great work already and there are currently 3 homes for sale on my street alone. It had (has?) a bad reputation but it's largely a bunch of nonsense... Mahncke Park was IMO much scarier before it's own revitalization!

Take a look... (and this isn't all strictly within the Prospect Hill boundaries but close enough)..my apologies, as many were taken with my camera phone and are pretty low quality. Some of the better quality are from realtor listings so they're for sale if anyone's adventurous!

Of course these are some of the cuter ones.. and there are some around that are much more in need of TLC as in all areas, but what do you think? Especially those of you that like old houses?

PS, last 2 are the Carol Burnett house before it was moved.)

http://a963.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...c6365425aa.jpg

http://a931.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...f848ec1a32.jpg

http://a385.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...2986c582d8.jpg

http://a558.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...c5246c840d.jpg

Last edited by autumngal; 06-17-2008 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
I LOVE those houses! Thanks for posting!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,055,758 times
Very nice! I love houses like that. Most of the houses around here make me start singing the opening song from the show Weeds.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Definite potential! Looks a lot like Lavaca did not long ago.

The Carol Burnett house - do you know where it was moved to?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
I think the Carol Burnett house was going to be made into offices for a non-profit organization. That's the area where SO's mom lives. He's been looking to buy in that area, as well, since he likes the proximity to downtown.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,211,265 times
That's a well kept secret. Those are the same kind and type of houses that are in Mahncke Park ( you did spell it right!) or Alamo Heights and even Alta Vista. All the charm and sophistication and maybe more potential than some of the north side hoods. It's close to downtown and I think in time it will be discovered, if it's not been already.
I would be proud to live in an area with so much charm.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,091,933 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The Carol Burnett house was moved just down the road a bit, closer to downtown but not much. It's part of Henry Cisneros' American Sunrise foundation and I think I read it will be used for another learning center or something like that. He already has opened one.

I have no idea what's going on presently aside from noticing a few neighbors greatly improving the outward appearance of their properties... but I hope it does get "discovered"!

"Well kept secret" for sure! When I first started house hunting a couple years ago, I would use real estate websites that allowed me to search for things that would help me find only OLDER houses... sites with search options like "50+ years old", for example. This area always popped up in the searches as "Prospect Hill" and virtually NO ONE I asked knew where in the heck or what that neighborhood was! In fact, last year before buying I started a thread here asking about it.

Well, now that those threads and these pics are "out there", maybe it will help some restoration-minded folk discover the secret.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
"Well kept secret" for sure! When I first started house hunting a couple years ago, I would use real estate websites that allowed me to search for things that would help me find only OLDER houses... sites with search options like "50+ years old", for example. This area always popped up in the searches as "Prospect Hill" and virtually NO ONE I asked knew where in the heck or what that neighborhood was! In fact, last year before buying I started a thread here asking about it.

Well, now that those threads and these pics are "out there", maybe it will help some restoration-minded folk discover the secret.
We had a similar situation with Lavaca when we first started looking to buy. We were already renting in the 'hood so knew it well. When we tried to find a realtor, most had NO CLUE where Lavaca was and they kept sending us stuff from the NC/NW areas. We tried to explain, but they weren't very interested. A couple of years later all sorts of realtors have been trying to break into our market. (houses that sold for $50K, are trying to be flipped for $300k!)

It was funny when we were first hiring contractors. Some, esp. the cheaper ones, knew the area well, others were either scared to come here or didn't think we'd be able to afford them.... It's also sort of fun now, whenever we get stuff delivered (like our recent delivery of soil and later mulch). The drivers end up spending an hour telling us about how they grew up here, or their parents did (or in the Hemisfair park area) and have all sorts of stories about the 'hood from the 50s-60s. Often they'll say "I didn't know this neighborhood was coming back!"

I wasn't really involved in the process to get our neighborhood declared historic, as that happened right around the time I started renting. But if you want to talk to some folks who have been through the initial process of bringing the 'hood back to life, I can put you in touch with some.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Thanks for the info you gave me yesterday, fierce. We found a house with over 3,000 sq. ft. going for under $100K. We're going to go look at it when we're in SA! I couldn't believe it! 7 bedroom...4 FULL baths! I'm not sure why the ol' man is looking for so much square footage, but I'm sure it's interesting! *lol*

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

933 posts, read 1,813,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Thanks for the info you gave me yesterday, fierce. We found a house with over 3,000 sq. ft. going for under $100K. We're going to go look at it when we're in SA! I couldn't believe it! 7 bedroom...4 FULL baths! I'm not sure why the ol' man is looking for so much square footage, but I'm sure it's interesting! *lol*
HOLY COW!!! That is a lot of space! I sure could use 4 full baths...or at least my own water closet...seems the 3 girls in the house all end up in all 3 bathrooms at the same time. *sigh* That really is a nice looking neighborhood. It does not appear to be...dare I say it...cookie cutter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or