U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM

61 posts, read 253,728 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there ever seen anyone who put up a metal building, Mueller or any other, and then make it into a livable home? I am sure it has been done only on acreage property with no deed restrictions. If any of you have seen or heard of this please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM

121 posts, read 337,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguru View Post
Anybody out there ever seen anyone who put up a metal building, Mueller or any other, and then make it into a livable home? I am sure it has been done only on acreage property with no deed restrictions. If any of you have seen or heard of this please let me know.

I used to be an insurance adjuster and I did see such a house up in Lockhart. It was rather nice and in the middle of town!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM

122 posts, read 386,883 times
We haven't done it, but my husband always tries to push the idea on me. He is from Bandera, where most people live on acreage. Apparently it isn't as uncommon as you would think.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,634 posts, read 21,561,167 times
Sounds like it would be a cost-effective solution. I'll bet most local steel building builders have examples of residential buildings in their portfolios they could show you.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 AM

3,060 posts, read 5,060,539 times
I've been interested in this too. Here's one of the links I found googling...

Steel frame home erection steps, residential home models and steel frame home kits (http://www.rhinobldg.com/residential-steel-home-erection.htm - broken link)

I don't know what it costs to have the kit installed, tho...but the homes look nice!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 AM

791 posts, read 2,124,337 times
My brother in law told me he has a friend that is working on doing it. I think they have a friend that has done it. He lives out near Medina Lake. I saw a picture of one, I don't remember if it was just a pic on the internet or their frend's. It was really nice inside. You would have never been able to guess that the house was built from a metal building.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM

50 posts, read 193,886 times
I didn't know they did metal framing, but I've seen a couple on my drive down 181 in Poth. Looks like a storage building, but it's a house.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM

61 posts, read 253,728 times
Default Thanks you guys

This forum is so great. I am coming this Frday to close on my land !!!!! (6 acres in New Braunfels) and we are considering this option (steel barn) as a way to get a contemporary styled house with charm and less money than the traditional build! It would also be a quicker way just to get on our land when we can finally sell this house in Tennessee and come home! One of you said 181 at Poth, is that in San Antonio, isn't 181 Blanco rod???? Been gone awhile...
Thanks again! Would also love to see the one in Lockhart, where is that one???

Last edited by fitguru; 06-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
A friend of mine was just talking about a guy and his wife that built just such a home. Of course he had to build it in a commercail zoned areas but a nice one very near a highend resdientail area. basically he has a aprtmant upstairs and has the ground floor for parking and a work area. He is into rods and his former home was a very expensive custom home.Planty of room for hi to park his roids and all of it is heated and air conditioned;altho the residents arae is of course separated.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM

380 posts, read 900,335 times
Default Hay Home

My dad's friend built his home out of straw. Check out his video, he saved tons of $$$$

Video - Tour a hay bale house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio