U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,049,281 times
First you get the right size trap at Academy. Second you get a high powered pellet gun at Academy. Nothing else works. Trust me. I have tried everything. You cannot carry a trap with an angry raccoon inside and you cannot open the trap door to release him in the country because he will scare you to death with his growling, hissing and snarling. They are very vicious and could really do some damage. They come back anyway so there is really only one option. They are not easy to catch after one has been trapped... they learn fast. They are very dirty, smelly and carry disease so it is best to get rid of them. Bag um and dump um. Sorry all you animal lovers but these animals can do alot of damage to your home if they find a small hole and manage to get in the attic or crawl space. Possums are nasty too but easy to catch. Hope you don't catch a skunk! That is a smelly proposition. There is some green stuff that comes in bars at the feed store on Blanco and Hildebrand that will get rid of all the rats and squirrels... these little creatures can ruin your attic and electrical wires. You could try hanging one of those fake owls but it doesn't work. Mothballs are the only thing that will work if they are in your attic but then the smell of mothballs can run you out of your home too. Make sure your house is sealed and there are no small holes they can get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,353,518 times
We've got them too. But it comes with the territory when the back of your house is on a greenbelt. We leave them alone, they leave us alone. I don't have animals I feed outside so they don't hang around much.

Someone at work suggested to me though that if I ever suspect them digging in my flower beds, to soak rags in ammonia and put it around the pots/flower beds. Not sure how this would affect your kitty you are feeding though??

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM

546 posts, read 2,116,969 times
I don't have an attic (mid-century flat-roof with beamed ceilings), so no worries there, plus I have a monthly contract with Worldwide Pest Control for rats, mice, insects, etc., so all that's taken care of.

It's just these dang racoons.

As far as the raccoons though, I called a friend today who works at the zoo and he's going to get a pal of his who handles untamed animals in some capacity, to trap the raccoon family and set them free in the hill country (I kinda doubt they'll make their way back) for a VERY reasonable price - hope they don't maul him to death I'll keep everyone updated as to how this goes. If this doesn't work, I'll be getting quotes from the several professional wildlife removal companies in town.

And sorry, but I'm not going to trap and kill raccoons in a cage with a pellet gun, that's just plain cruel.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM

413 posts, read 897,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post

And sorry, but I'm not going to trap and kill raccoons in a cage with a pellet gun, that's just plain cruel.
I'm so happy you wouldn't do that. As much as they are annoying, I wouldn't be able to do it either. I live by McAllister Park and the deer come up to my apartment fence. We have possums here too. I saw one when I was going out with one of my friends one night. She freaked out..lol It was really funny. They just skedaddle their way along though. I almost hit a possum one time in the road and started to cry because I thought I hit it, but it was just playing dead. My boyfriend at the time teased me about it for awhile, but I just can't stand to hurt an animal whether they are pests or not.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I don't have an attic (mid-century flat-roof with beamed ceilings), so no worries there, plus I have a monthly contract with Worldwide Pest Control for rats, mice, insects, etc., so all that's taken care of.

It's just these dang racoons.

As far as the raccoons though, I called a friend today who works at the zoo and he's going to get a pal of his who handles untamed animals in some capacity, to trap the raccoon family and set them free in the hill country (I kinda doubt they'll make their way back) for a VERY reasonable price - hope they don't maul him to death I'll keep everyone updated as to how this goes. If this doesn't work, I'll be getting quotes from the several professional wildlife removal companies in town.

It is not so cruel when you consider that they can destroy your attic, insulation, carry disease and smell to high heaven... it is just unsanitary and gross. What is the alternative... pay some jive turkey hundreds of dollars to trap them in the same cage you can buy at Academy for much less and do it yourself. If you can't shot them then call the city animal control and they can come out and take them away for $25 but that gets expensive when you have an extended family. It is just easier and less expensive. I am not rolling in the dinero.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Mothballs are super cheap... just spread them all around your yard and put a few of those owls around where it will spook the raccoons for awhile. For the person that has something digging in her flower bed use cayenne pepper. The skunks dig but not the raccoons. The cayenne pepper works. Ammonia won't work outdoors or in an enclosed area for long because it evaporates too fast. I used to hunt alot with my Dad hence the hunter in me but they are a big nuisance and if you have ever seen a raccoon up close and personal you would not want them around your house... that is one nasty creature and so is a possum. Very dirty animals.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 PM

546 posts, read 2,116,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
I'm so happy you wouldn't do that. As much as they are annoying, I wouldn't be able to do it either. I live by McAllister Park and the deer come up to my apartment fence. We have possums here too. I saw one when I was going out with one of my friends one night. She freaked out..lol It was really funny. They just skedaddle their way along though. I almost hit a possum one time in the road and started to cry because I thought I hit it, but it was just playing dead. My boyfriend at the time teased me about it for awhile, but I just can't stand to hurt an animal whether they are pests or not.
I like that "skeddadle" part! That's exactly what they do, they're hilarious to watch, I can yell and scream at them and they never seem to hear me, and they're practically blind, takes them forever to even notice you're there, then they do their "skeddadle" up the tree (and rather slowly I might add), and really, they're so damned ugly they're almost cute - I have no grudge with the opossum gang (just those mean ol' coons) .

Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 AM

168 posts, read 300,365 times
Raccoons hiss and growl and they stink but hauling them away in a trap is not that hard. I bought a trap at Tractor Supply and I spent two weeks nailing this raccoon that was coming in my attic. It turns out that the raccoon I caught was a sibling since the original one is still around.

I chose to drive ten miles out into the country and cut it loose. Before transporting it, I used plastic ties to make sure the door stayed shut. when I released it, I cut the plastic ties and used pliers on the spring so the door would fly open on its own. That animal ran so fast into the woods.

A pellet gun would almost be like a death of a thousand cuts. If you're wanting to kill it, then tie a rope to the trap and just drop the entire trap in the pool. You can reel the trap out an hour later. I just want to get rid of them. Not kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
First you get the right size trap at Academy. Second you get a high powered pellet gun at Academy. Nothing else works. Trust me. I have tried everything. You cannot carry a trap with an angry raccoon inside and you cannot open the trap door to release him in the country because he will scare you to death with his growling, hissing and snarling. They are very vicious and could really do some damage. They come back anyway so there is really only one option. They are not easy to catch after one has been trapped... they learn fast. They are very dirty, smelly and carry disease so it is best to get rid of them. Bag um and dump um. Sorry all you animal lovers but these animals can do alot of damage to your home if they find a small hole and manage to get in the attic or crawl space. Possums are nasty too but easy to catch. Hope you don't catch a skunk! That is a smelly proposition. There is some green stuff that comes in bars at the feed store on Blanco and Hildebrand that will get rid of all the rats and squirrels... these little creatures can ruin your attic and electrical wires. You could try hanging one of those fake owls but it doesn't work. Mothballs are the only thing that will work if they are in your attic but then the smell of mothballs can run you out of your home too. Make sure your house is sealed and there are no small holes they can get in.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 AM

2,746 posts, read 9,345,625 times
I found some info on the city of sa website. I think I'm going with that.

Animal Care Services

I'm not happy about the racoons but I am horrified by the idea of killing them. I also think that if you're going to kill something it should be as instant as possible... IF I were going to shoot a raccoon (which I'm not) it'd be with a real gun!

But anyway, I'm not. I'm just going to limit my cat's food supply overnight and try and figure out where the raccoon is hiding out to eliminate their "nest" or whatever. I still want to get it (them?) to go away but I'm not willing to kill them. I do worry about my cats, but my cats are up to date on their shots and when I have seen the raccoon the cats are always making a point to stay FAR away.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 PM

10,968 posts, read 6,617,679 times
I just went out to refresh the water in my bird baths and another potted plant has been uprooted!!! I can't fuss to much because I feed the squirrels and birds but I just wish I could have one with out the other. The darn raccoons are soooo destructive. I know it's them because I've seen them do it. They just love to sit in the middle of my pound. I gave up trying to have water plants because the raccoons eat them so I started with the plastic plants outside. It looked really good there for awhile then the coons would get mad and just destroy stuff. I can go out with a BB gun, look them straight in the eye and they don't even blink!! No, I don't shoot them but I do shoot AT them when they are in my pound. I have a gold fish that is probable around 10 years old and I don't want him to be coon food!!

We get the ring tails in our attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio