U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 3,992,952 times

Advertisements

Based on where you work you won't be very close to the downtown area and where
many of the posters have said a lot of the cool hip and happening singles are hanging out. (There are a few threads that talk about where young singles hang out...I can look for it later) To get a newer home with enough room for the dogs mean most likely living on the northside of the loops (410 or 1604).

To be close to the action means to compromise on the style and age of your housing. Most likely the King William, Monte Vista, Alta Vista area. All very nice and revitalized areas, but not grand spanking new homes. They're a drive, from a San Antonio stand point, probably about 15-20 minutes without traffice and 25-30 with traffic. Of course, you could do what some others have said which is rent or buy something new in those areas, but then again, that is another compromise. Those are all condos or lofts. All very nice, but not what the OP was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,355,901 times
Honestly I think your best bet is just to rent short term, an apartment that allows dogs, then look more extensively once you're here. You'll get a better feel for the neighborhoods.

The Med Center area has tons of options for renting houses and apartments, but the houses won't likely be as new as you're looking for. Also, the med center is a large area, and though you may be only 5 miles or less from your office, it can take 20+ minutes due to traffic on the surface roads. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes just to get the 1.5 miles from my office to 410...

Just for reference, I live downtown (southside of downtown) and work in the Med Center. Generally takes me 15-20 mins to get to work, if I don't get stuck on the surface roads (usually a problem if I leave at 5pm). I also have some short cuts I do live in a house on .25 acres, so that is possible in southtown, but it's anything BUT new. We do have some brand new houses in the area, but these are custom and owner occupied. The townhouses, however, are new and are rentals and will have some yard/courtyard space.

Based on your needs I'm not sure downtown/near downtown would suit you, just trying to clarify a bit.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,866,516 times
To get an idea of realtors who do rentals, you can go torealtor.com rentals. You could do a general search for San Antonio or specify the zip code(s) in which you are interested (I know you aren't familiar enough right now to know the zip codes except for the one where you are working, but you might start getting some ideas...) - can also specify rent range, # of bedrooms... You will get the rental listings, which will then also show you the realty offices for each rental. You could contact some of them and let them know what you are looking for - they might know of rentals they have that are not listed online or might be able to pinpoint stuff for you based on your criteria.

If you aren't able to find a house to rent right away, there are some apartments that do take dogs and which also allow short-term rental (6 months, although there are some that will even do 3 months but will charge you a premium for it).

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM

55 posts, read 103,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdz View Post
I was in the 'same boat' two years ago. May I suggest that you DO rent an apartment for a year. This will give you time to search for the exact type of living space you desire.
I bought a home rather hastily, and now that I know SA better, I most likely would have made a different choice.
No, I'm not looking to buy at all. I want to RENT a house or townhouse.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM

730 posts, read 2,885,468 times
Moderator cut: use direct message please They have a database of all the houses/townhomes etc. that are for rent in the city and have a good map feature to help you get the lay of the land.....

We move here last year and are renting while we decide where we want to buy..... I think that's the best advice I could give you (and many others beat me to it!)

Good luck!

Last edited by autumngal; 06-20-2008 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

55 posts, read 103,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
Moderator cut: use direct message please They have a database of all the houses/townhomes etc. that are for rent in the city and have a good map feature to help you get the lay of the land.....

We move here last year and are renting while we decide where we want to buy..... I think that's the best advice I could give you (and many others beat me to it!)

Good luck!
Thank you! I'll check that out right away.
What do you think of the area? Where did you move from?

Last edited by autumngal; 06-20-2008 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Mod edit quote

Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,727 times
Default In the same boat...

We'll, it looks like I am in your same boat! Did you move to SA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingCT View Post
Hi all,

In an unexpected turn of events, it looks like I might be relocating to SA within the next month or so. I have never set foot in Texas, I know nothing about SA and I have no idea where to look for housing. Since I still own my house in Florida (tenant occupied) that I cannot unload right now, buying is not an option; I have to rent. Unfortunately I'm kind of particular about what I'm looking for....I don't know what the rental market is like in San Antonio so I have no idea if what I want even exists. But this is what I'm looking for, and any suggestions/ideas for where to look, who to contact, etc, would be greatly appreciated!
  • Must be a house or a townhouse--no apartments or condos
  • Prefer that the home be brand new or very new--under five years old
  • Would like to be relatively close to shopping, restaurants, banks, etc...not necessarily walking distance (although that is great), but just not WAY out in the middle of nowhere
  • Would LOVE a fenced yard/courtyard. I have no idea how common this is in TX or SA specifically.
  • My upper price limit is 1800 a month.
  • I only "need" 2 bedrooms but would prefer 2 bedroom + den, or 3 bedrooms.
  • I have two small dogs so I need a pet friendly area
  • Schools are a non-issue--no kids
I'm in my early 30s, single and therefore want to be near activity.

Any ideas? I have NO idea where to start or who I should contact.

Thanks everyone in advance! I have more questions on SA in general but I'll post those separately.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

141 posts, read 328,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingCT View Post
Hi all,

In an unexpected turn of events, it looks like I might be relocating to SA within the next month or so. I have never set foot in Texas, I know nothing about SA and I have no idea where to look for housing. Since I still own my house in Florida (tenant occupied) that I cannot unload right now, buying is not an option; I have to rent. Unfortunately I'm kind of particular about what I'm looking for....I don't know what the rental market is like in San Antonio so I have no idea if what I want even exists. But this is what I'm looking for, and any suggestions/ideas for where to look, who to contact, etc, would be greatly appreciated!
  • Must be a house or a townhouse--no apartments or condos
  • Prefer that the home be brand new or very new--under five years old
  • Would like to be relatively close to shopping, restaurants, banks, etc...not necessarily walking distance (although that is great), but just not WAY out in the middle of nowhere
  • Would LOVE a fenced yard/courtyard. I have no idea how common this is in TX or SA specifically.
  • My upper price limit is 1800 a month.
  • I only "need" 2 bedrooms but would prefer 2 bedroom + den, or 3 bedrooms.
  • I have two small dogs so I need a pet friendly area
  • Schools are a non-issue--no kids
I'm in my early 30s, single and therefore want to be near activity.

Any ideas? I have NO idea where to start or who I should contact.

Thanks everyone in advance! I have more questions on SA in general but I'll post those separately.
in my humble opinion as a native to the town and having seen some interesting trends in the housing experience, i would recommend what a few others have, and that is to rent an apartment before renting a home. i've had some friends get into some sticky situations renting homes here, but to be fair, they were in their mid 20's and single, fresh out of school, degress and all, still looking for jobs. none the less, unless you know your job situation is guaranteed for at least a year, a nicer, upscale apartment is probably a better bet. and it seems like you'll be able to find one relatively near by your job, without venturing across town. you might get lucky and find something that fits all or a majority of your criteria within your time frame, but with just a month's notice and your laundry list of needs/wants, that seems to be pushing it. but i do wish you the best of luck.
just my $.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio