U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 24,737 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I will be moving to San Antonio this summer and we have found a house we like in the Stonefield subdivision off of 1604 and Bandera. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this neighborhood. Is this a safe community? Has anyone heard about any problems with the houses in this community? I have searched this site and I have not seen anything mentioned about this neighborhood.
I would also like to say thanks to all of you who post on this site. It has been very useful and informative. I hope somebody can help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,826,401 times
I followed someone through that neighborhood on our way somewhere. The houses looked really strange to me. Like how some had this octagonal window on the 2nd floor above the front door, but there was insulation and framing showing through it sometimes. Like maybe it was a window for a closet but someone didn't want a window there, except it was like that on a whole lot of houses. Very odd.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 AM

443 posts, read 1,361,227 times
i have a friend who lives there... i would say its in a good location...
as for the neighborhood, its in the ok side, nothing great but not bad either...
i've heard a few teenage related commotions... maybe because my friend has teenage kids...
and by the way, the houses are kb built.... for whatever it is worth..

Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. We were directed to that area because of O'Conner High School. The KB part of that worries me too. Can you recommend a better neighborhood around that area that is also under the 200,000 range?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM

71 posts, read 173,214 times
Default a stonefield resident

We have lived in Stonefield for over four years. The octagonal window thing that someone mentioned is not really a window, at least not in our next door neighbor's house. It's a fake window, and that part of the house is where the stairs lead up to the second floor (if I remember correctly). A lot of houses have that "feature" but certainly not the majority. It's a hilly subdivision with a good number of trees. Some of the homes are starting to show their age, as Stonefield is getting close to 10 years old...but I think you would find that in any neighborhood. And it also depends a lot on how well the individual owners keep up their homes.

There are two parts to Stonefield: we live in the Estates side (I can't remember the name of the other side...Stonefield Oaks, maybe?). We know people on the Oaks side who jokingly say we live in the "ritzy" part of Stonefield...on the Estates side most of the homes are brick on at least 3 sides. That is not always true on the Oaks side, but the homes still look nice. The HOA/BOD is going through some leadership changes now, and it looks to be a good thing as they seem more committed now in responding to our subdivision's needs, and keeping the lines of communication open to its residents.

We like living in Stonefield. We've never had any problems with anyone except a neighbor with a barking dog that we are trying to deal with. I love walking around the neighborhood and feel safe doing so, and have found people to be friendly. The roughest part of living in Stonefield is in order to get into the subdivision, you have to drive through a shopping area (Target, Kohls, Lowes, etc)...it's nice having the shopping nearby, but the road that goes through it into Stonefield is curvy and hilly, and we see all sorts of little accidents when people take a chance turning left out of one of the shopping area driveways into the street. You can also access Stonefield off of Braun and go through Silverbrook, which we frequently do to avoid going through the shopping area (especially at Christmas).

Do not consider anything on Stonefield Place, if possible, which is the main road that goes through Stonefield. People cut through Silverbrook and Stonefield all the time to get from Braun to Bandera (or vice versa), which isn't a problem in itself, but it's made Stonefield Place a very busy street. There are a number of cul de sacs and block areas that have no outlet which make for less traffic in those areas. We live in such an area and there are currently 3 or 4 homes for sale in our little area...I imagine there are several more throughout Stonefield.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM

348 posts, read 1,103,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniomac View Post
We have lived in Stonefield for over four years. The octagonal window thing that someone mentioned is not really a window, at least not in our next door neighbor's house. It's a fake window, and that part of the house is where the stairs lead up to the second floor (if I remember correctly). A lot of houses have that "feature" but certainly not the majority. It's a hilly subdivision with a good number of trees. Some of the homes are starting to show their age, as Stonefield is getting close to 10 years old...but I think you would find that in any neighborhood. And it also depends a lot on how well the individual owners keep up their homes.

There are two parts to Stonefield: we live in the Estates side (I can't remember the name of the other side...Stonefield Oaks, maybe?). We know people on the Oaks side who jokingly say we live in the "ritzy" part of Stonefield...on the Estates side most of the homes are brick on at least 3 sides. That is not always true on the Oaks side, but the homes still look nice. The HOA/BOD is going through some leadership changes now, and it looks to be a good thing as they seem more committed now in responding to our subdivision's needs, and keeping the lines of communication open to its residents.

We like living in Stonefield. We've never had any problems with anyone except a neighbor with a barking dog that we are trying to deal with. I love walking around the neighborhood and feel safe doing so, and have found people to be friendly. The roughest part of living in Stonefield is in order to get into the subdivision, you have to drive through a shopping area (Target, Kohls, Lowes, etc)...it's nice having the shopping nearby, but the road that goes through it into Stonefield is curvy and hilly, and we see all sorts of little accidents when people take a chance turning left out of one of the shopping area driveways into the street. You can also access Stonefield off of Braun and go through Silverbrook, which we frequently do to avoid going through the shopping area (especially at Christmas).

Do not consider anything on Stonefield Place, if possible, which is the main road that goes through Stonefield. People cut through Silverbrook and Stonefield all the time to get from Braun to Bandera (or vice versa), which isn't a problem in itself, but it's made Stonefield Place a very busy street. There are a number of cul de sacs and block areas that have no outlet which make for less traffic in those areas. We live in such an area and there are currently 3 or 4 homes for sale in our little area...I imagine there are several more throughout Stonefield.

Great information.

I was unsure if was Stonefield that by the Spectrum Gym I used to work at because I would use that road to cut across to avoid heavy traffic on the other side.

I felt bad doing it because I knew that I would not want that kind of traffic in 'my backyard' but what do you do when your running late for an aerobics class !!! Members do not like late instructors so I had to! (dodging accountability here...!)

Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I followed someone through that neighborhood on our way somewhere. The houses looked really strange to me. Like how some had this octagonal window on the 2nd floor above the front door, but there was insulation and framing showing through it sometimes. Like maybe it was a window for a closet but someone didn't want a window there, except it was like that on a whole lot of houses. Very odd.
This happened on a lot of those models. The "window" is a fake one that adds to the elevation. They originally had a very dark tint on the inside of them, so they looked blacked out, but over time, the sun bleaches out that tint which reveals the insulation. Design flaw. Easy enough to fix though. A lot of people just get up there with a ladder and paint it with a black gloss paint. Others access it from the inside and re-tint it.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,977,719 times
just and fyi --- Brandies High School is opening up this year --- you may want to double check to see if Stonefield is going to be rezoned to attend Brandies or if the residents will continue to go to O'Connor...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniomac View Post

Thanks so much for all of the information. It did seem like the Estates looked nicer. Also, thanks for the tip about Stonefield Place. That is something we are looking to avoid. I agree that having all of those shopping choices so close would be nice. I guess the traffic is the downside. I have heard that KB did have kind of a bad reputation. Have you had any problems with your house or have you heard of any problems with other houses in the neighborhood? I was wondering so I could keep my eyes open in any potential houses we may look at. I also noticed that the pool seemed kind of small for so many houses. Do you know if it gets really crowded?
I appreciate all of your help. I am amazed, and kind of overwhelmed, with all of the choices in this area. I did love all of the beautiful trees and hills in Stonefield and the wonderful decks so many houses had in the backyard. It was beautiful. Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 PM

71 posts, read 173,214 times
I have heard stuff about KB as well, but have not heard about anybody we know in Stonefield who has had any problems with their house. We have not had any problems with our house at all. And I find that in general, people take great care to keep their homes and yards looking nice, although of course there are exceptions as you would find in any neighborhood.

The pool is small compared to the pools in larger subdivisions, but I think really the only time it gets crowded is in the evenings. We usually go in the mornings/early afternoons, and don't run into crowds at all. It seems like it starts to pick up around 3:30 or 4pm most days.

I hope this answers your last questions...please feel free to ask more as you think of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio